What's your kitchen worktop made out of? And do you like it?

(70 Posts)
motleymop Wed 26-Mar-14 17:53:42

I am sure this subject has been done to death but please humour me!
I am buying a new kitchen and am just do not know what to do about the worktop - every time I run a search I become even more confused about durability and price etc.
It will be a white-ish worktop - what is best - Corian, Quartz, Silestone? Or wot? Obviously I should go with laminate for price but I am not sure I can bear to....
There are also these Bushboard Encore acrylic worktops - anyone got them?

Fragglewump Thu 27-Mar-14 21:59:39

Quartz - black with sparkly bits - crushed mirror type bits. I love it - glittery, durable and sexy. But £££££ and we like to drink wine all the time sometimes and wine glasses don't bounce off it.

BuggersMuddle Thu 27-Mar-14 22:04:48

Quartz similar to Fraggle. It's wearing well. We considered Black Galaxy granite but I couldn't see the price difference and the quartz is I believe harder because it's a quartz epoxy composite.

Apparently we should be careful about citrus, but beyond using a chopping board we d

BuggersMuddle Thu 27-Mar-14 22:05:34

Erk, don't bother and have had no issues.

42notTrendy Thu 27-Mar-14 22:14:53

We have walnut wood effect laminate, with a straight profile, against cream gloss cupboards with slate effect Karndean, fake-o-rama! We love it though. We blew the budget on a super snazzy Rangemaster. The cost from laminate to anything else was just too significant for us.

motleymop Thu 27-Mar-14 22:31:17

frazzle - isn't stainless steel a bit difficult re dust etc?

motleymop Thu 27-Mar-14 22:32:28

sorry, I meant drawohamme

MothershipG Fri 28-Mar-14 06:40:03

motley Do you mean dust? Or rust? smile

Stainless steel doesn't rust, that's why we use it for cutlery, as for dust it doesn't affect it any more than any other surface. wink

EwanHoozami Fri 28-Mar-14 11:12:43

drawohamme who did you get your steel surface from? I'm considering it, if it isn't too £££. Thanks smile

motleymop Fri 28-Mar-14 12:16:05

Dust mothership ! The kitchen shop people told me it is a bit of a mare to keep stainless steel looking clean?

motleymop Fri 28-Mar-14 12:17:19

She said they had them on display units and spent their lives dusting the things!

MothershipG Fri 28-Mar-14 14:21:18

Think how often you wipe down your kitchen surface! I really don't see how that would be a problem in a kitchen that is being used!!!

They do get a 'patina' of very fine scratches, which I think improves the look, so they won't stay shop flawless, so probably not for anyone too anal about that sort of thing....

I have some wood surface which I will never have again, but I love my bit of stainless steel. It was from IKEA and has the hob fitted into the middle of it, great for putting hot pans on and really easy to clean cooking splatter off.

FleurForesight Fri 28-Mar-14 14:21:52

Honey-coloured granite. Love it.

BeCool Fri 28-Mar-14 14:23:25

I have a glossy faux marble laminate. I thought it would look like shite really quickly but it is now 8 years old and still immaculate, no scratches. I'm very pleased with it.

EwanHoozami Fri 28-Mar-14 16:00:28

Mothership - ooh I didn't know Ikea did steel tops. Was that in the UK?

noddyholder Fri 28-Mar-14 16:09:41

I have put a laminate in my current refurb first time ever usually do corian or oak. I have been living here for various reasons and am seriously impressed with it and how it looks I can scrub it and put pans on it and it's indestructible I got it from wilsonart

I have granite and I love it.
We have a light colour I wouldn't have wanted a dark colour and to be honest I don't like them when I see dark granite in other people's homes.

MothershipG Fri 28-Mar-14 20:11:53

It was in the UK Ewan but when I looked recently I couldn't find it!

motleymop Fri 28-Mar-14 22:50:41

I have quite a lot of work surface, all in, but don't do an awful lot of work on it! Therefore only used areas get a look in with the quick wipe over before work! Stainless steel is definitely an option though - I like that look.

lalasmum17 Sat 29-Mar-14 09:11:55

6 years ago we chose Silestone (mesopotamia range - the hand painted units pick out some of the shades in it),

We are not a neat and tidy family when cooking, but it has withstood all many of spills and hot cast iron saucepans being dumped on it. We do have one tiny chip on the edge of the basin cut out but I am sure I am the only person to notice it.

We have IKEA Oak (Hammarp) worktop in our utility room. It looks nice, but I do have to treat it with respect. Our joiner thought it was really good value.

motleymop Sat 29-Mar-14 21:35:22

I was quite surprised to find out yesterday that ikea do acrylic worktops - and stone, but stone are only available if you use ikea own fitters to do the whole kitchen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now