What's your kitchen worktop made out of? And do you like it?

(70 Posts)
motleymop Wed 26-Mar-14 17:53:42

I am sure this subject has been done to death but please humour me!
I am buying a new kitchen and am just do not know what to do about the worktop - every time I run a search I become even more confused about durability and price etc.
It will be a white-ish worktop - what is best - Corian, Quartz, Silestone? Or wot? Obviously I should go with laminate for price but I am not sure I can bear to....
There are also these Bushboard Encore acrylic worktops - anyone got them?

motleymop Wed 26-Mar-14 20:43:13

Which is more exensive - quartz, silestone or corian?
Am pleased there are some takers for laminate- maybe it's not so bad

ClownsLeftJokersRight Wed 26-Mar-14 20:51:53

We chose laminate too and it's lovely. Actually I've never seen a thread where so many people have said they have it and like it, so am heartenedsmile. Most 'worktop threads' only seem to mention granite, which I'm sure is nice but would be absurdly £ for my kitchen.

Pinkfizzy Wed 26-Mar-14 20:55:16

Beige pink mock granite laminate c1995. Loathe it (sorry no help). Can't wait to rip it out finally!

motleymop Wed 26-Mar-14 21:01:06

I saw a laminate with a metal effect edging which looked quite nice.

motleymop Wed 26-Mar-14 21:13:45

Thanks for the Mistral idea, pickles - I will look into that. More confusion no doubt!

Daisybell1 Wed 26-Mar-14 21:15:32

Duropal laminate here too - samples don't look like much but really chunky with straight edge profile in real life

motleymop Wed 26-Mar-14 21:20:56

I forgot to ask about Caesarstone?

mewkins Wed 26-Mar-14 21:46:29

Solid oak (we have coated it in osmo wax oil stuff so it doesn't need oiling and water just sits on the surface)

MothershipG Thu 27-Mar-14 06:36:12

Stainless steel, I only have a section of it but I think it's great, unfortunately it's pretty expensive.

echt Thu 27-Mar-14 06:47:41

Laminate, dark torquoise-y mottled effect. Satin finish. I do not like shiny.

mimiasovitch Thu 27-Mar-14 07:06:43

I've got something called earthstone, and whilst it does look nice, I wish I'd either saved the cash and gone for laminate, or splurged on granite. The halfway house was a bit pointless in retrospect.

wonkylegs Thu 27-Mar-14 07:18:36

Caesarstone, Earthstone & Silestone are all brands of quartz - same thing different manufacturers.
Corian & HiMacs are again just different manufacturers of the same thing - acrylic stone.
I have currently got a cream Silestone worktop that I love, I chose it because it went with the style of my kitchen. In my old house I had a brown granite which I also loved.
Personally I'd pick something you like , is in your budget & goes with the style of your kitchen.
They all have pros and cons.

motleymop Thu 27-Mar-14 07:31:34

Thank you everyone. Everything I do in my house seems to be the same- I get to the point of dealing with it and then become overhwelmed by the wealth of choice and the pros and cons of materials.

EwanHoozami Thu 27-Mar-14 07:45:54

I currently have a 1981 laminate in my new house and apart from the hideous faux onyx pattern it's still in pretty good nick. Not bad for 30+ years.

I want laminate for the new design (can't afford anything else) but I dislike wood effect lam and DH hates all of the stone effects. Urg.

I'd like something fairly bold and individual (I love recycled glass but was quoted ££££££££££££)

MillyMollyMama Thu 27-Mar-14 09:12:44

Motleymop. Work surfaces make or break kitchens. If your kitchen is a budget one, it will look $1m if you have a great work top. The only time I would not do it is if the house is budget too. No-one will expect a top quality kitchen in an inexpensive house. If the house is in a good area where other people will have lovely kitchens, I think you should have comparable. Kitchens are a major investment and you spend a lot of time in it. Go for the best you can possibly afford.

allthatglittersisnotgold Thu 27-Mar-14 09:26:57

Oh I love that calacatta marble. Is it total ����'s? Is it durable? Doesn't marble stain if you get water on it?

Anyone know any other good laminate companies, jsut ordering samples for duropal.

nowahousewife Thu 27-Mar-14 09:33:50

Millymolly is talking sense. What you spend on your kitchen should be proportionate to the value of your house, area you live in etc.

We had a himac (same as corian but it had the shade of white I wanted) work top out in our new kitchen and is really durable. Only con is the cat leaves his mucky footprints on it at night!

In a previous house we put wood effect laminate in our shaker style kitchen (15yrs ago!) and is was v good. Much better than the beech worktop we inherited with our current house which never looked clean. Guess that's why I have a v clinical all white kitchen now!

EwanHoozami Thu 27-Mar-14 09:39:48

allthatglitters - bushboard is supposed to be a good laminate according to my builder (although I can't get their online sample ordering tool to work..)

I'm definitely in a Laminate Area grin

allthatglittersisnotgold Thu 27-Mar-14 10:13:32

Ewan, I'm defo in the laminate club, ho hum! I just can't justify /pull funds out my bum for anything else really!

MrsFlorrick Thu 27-Mar-14 10:40:36

Honed Bianco Carrara marble. Beautiful to look at and very tactile.

Lovely in every way except for cost. Not cheap sadly. That said you could end up paying as much for Silestone types as the marble.

If you're accident prone and worried about staining etc, don't be. Marble is pretty robust.

I've previously had stainless steel. I rate it highly. It was amazing too. Extremely durable. And easy to keep.

For the next kitchen in my next house, I'd happily have stainless steel or marble again or granite.

I've had wood and granite years ago. Granite was fine no issues at all. Wood as much as I love it, was quite hard to keep nice. Stains from cups etc and dark patches around sink.

My mum has corian and loves it. She thinks it can do no wrong. It is lovely to look at and the seamless sinks do look fab. Bit plasticky to touch though but that's just being picky.

Quartz could work well if you find something you like.
Bear in mind that quartz joins very badly and its very obvious whereas real stone (marble granite) joins so much better.

To be honest, its mostly down to what you like the look of and what your budget is and how you feel about maintenance (wood etc).

Beehatch Thu 27-Mar-14 10:54:07

We installed Bushboard Omega Vanilla Quartz laminate, with upstands. I wasn't sure about the gloss finish, but DP insisted and have to agree it looks fab. We just couldn't justify the expense of granite or even the Corian types. Previously we had a bog standard Duropal laminate for 20 years and it was very hard wearing and easy to keep, so I had no problems going for laminate again.

Pannacotta Thu 27-Mar-14 13:15:40

Solid oak treated with Osmo hard wax oil.
Looks great and I like it very much.

Creamycoolerwithcream Thu 27-Mar-14 13:43:13

Granite in a colour called 'Baltic brown' which is brown with a bit of pattern. I love it so much, warm, classy, shiny, so easy to look after, I can put anything on it. I have shiny ivory kitchen cabinets and shiny ivory/cream floor. I had an oak worktop in my last house which was a nightmare.

motleymop Thu 27-Mar-14 21:34:40

My dad has wood worktops and I don't think I could cope with having that after seeing the state of the area around the sink at his house - and having him neurotically bleat on about how best to dry the area after any splashes!

drawohamme Thu 27-Mar-14 21:47:35

Blanco stainless steel, loved every inch of it and looked so cool. About to put in a new kitchen in a new house and will be getting exactly the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now