Can you suggest anywhere to buy child-safe window restrictors for timber windows? And door handles etc ?

(4 Posts)
shoom Wed 26-Mar-14 17:29:33

I've tried Howdens, B&Q etc for the door handles but didn't see any I like. I'm thinking maybe stainless steel, straight lever and a backplate. I'd like to see them in real life rather than just order from the internet.

Trying to find replacement parts for timber casement windows is proving tricky. I'd like concealed window restrictors/ safety catches, the joiner I've asked is struggling to find parts so I'm on an internet trek. (Other joiners and window companies said no outright.) I don't really like the safety catches with keys or the ones that sit outwith the frame are like a short cord.

thanks in advance.

if you don't like what you can find and a person in that field has said there's nothing more - maybe think about adding a safety frame separate from the window - something that can be removed in a few years - that keeps the window safe for little people - but still lets the light and air through ... a bit like bars on a cot - but sized for your windows ?!
you could have wood - or wrought iron might be nice ?!

shoom Thu 27-Mar-14 10:09:05

Thanks for your response.

For the door handles, I'd like to see them in real life and I'm looking for ideas of where I can look.

For the windows, I was struggling to find someone to work on my existing timber windows as most companies seem to be in the business of replacing rather than repairing them. Or they only repair uPVC windows. I found a good joiner who will do the work but his usual supplier doesn't have concealed safety catches. There are some on the internet but I'd appreciate any advice on the different styles etc and what to look for.

shoom Thu 27-Mar-14 10:10:59

The safety catches are so the windows can be opened e.g. 10cm rather than being limited to either the night vent position or being fully open, as it's a 2 storey house with a toddler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now