Can anyone tell me what a damp proof course should look like please?

(3 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Wed 26-Mar-14 15:10:46

We have an extension that has damp problems and I'm trying to work out the issue. I noticed today that what I think is the damp proof course is (a bit of lead showing about a foot from the group) has been covered by cement but this cement has come off in places. I'm not sure but I thought that it shouldn't be covered by cement. I wondered if the walls have been repointed and the damp proof course been covered up to make it look neater. Can anyone tell me if I should try and chisel off the cement? Thanks.

PigletJohn Wed 26-Mar-14 15:31:16

usually there will be a black line showing, about two bricks above what was ground level when the house was built. It should not be rendered over as this provides a bridge for the damp to get past. If you want to hack it off buy a bolster, a club hammer, some gloves, and elastoplast.

A common source of wet walls is dripping or leaking gutters, downpipes and drains. Another source is leaking water or waste pipes which may be buried.

The render was most likely applied to hide damaged bricks. It is not very difficult to apply render that stops at the DPC.

It is informative to look under the floor, inside the house next to a damp wall.

Elizabeth22 Wed 26-Mar-14 21:39:59

Thank you PigletJohn - informative as ever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now