Inspire my downstairs loo

(12 Posts)
Spindelina Wed 26-Mar-14 10:15:32

I have a tiny downstairs loo in a Georgian townhouse. The loo is in a more modern (Victorian maybe?) extension, with no period features. The rest of house is a F&B colour chart - the hallway outside is Dayroom Yellow.

Loo and sink will both be on one wall, opposite the door. Vanity unit comes in white, american oak or dark walnut (Ideal Standard Concept Cube if you want to look at it - nothing special design wise but it fits the space). We have a chrome towel rail.

I think white vanity unit with coloured tiles behind it and the loo. I quite like the idea of blue / green but I worry that it's going to look like it belongs in a modern semi rather than my Georgian townhouse.

Help!

Spindelina Wed 26-Mar-14 19:54:45

bump?

Pannacotta Wed 26-Mar-14 22:47:54

How about some dramatic wallpaper or walls in a very dark colour?
Both look good in a small downstairs loo.

cupcake78 Thu 27-Mar-14 02:50:59

I saw a couple of toilets I loved. 1 done in sheet music the other in the financial times. Both had a big picture on walls and they looked fab!

echt Thu 27-Mar-14 06:53:28

With tiny rooms, more is more, especially as you only spend a little time there. Unless you are a man

Think Versailles. The Sistine Chapel.

insancerre Thu 27-Mar-14 07:09:56

we have a punk downstairs loo
it has wood panelling that we painted grey/ silver
the walls are covered in photocopied 7 inch singles
we have a Union jack toilet seat and a framed sex pistols poster
dh made a barbed wire heart that frames the mirror and added more barbed wire twisted around the light fitting
the floor is black lino with white paint splashes
I luvs my loo

Spindelina Thu 27-Mar-14 07:26:50

Some good things to ponder - thanks.

Definitely not afraid of colour. Apart from the yellow, we've also got Brinjal, Hague Blue, Chinese Blue etc. But we've also got very hard water and I'm a slattern so I worry about water marks on dark tiles. Should I?

Not sure I'd get wallpaper past irrationally wallpaper hating DH. But even if I did, would it be weird if that was the only wallpaper in the whole house?

Pannacotta Thu 27-Mar-14 10:14:21

No not weird to have the only wallpaper in your loo.
Do you need tiles? If so why not have pale tiles and a dark wall colour.

MummytoMog Thu 27-Mar-14 10:24:20

We are having a TfL themed loo. So metropolitan line luggage rack over the loo, Mini Moderns bus ticket wallpaper, TFL underground mirror on the wall and a very plain washstand and loo. Also clearly TfL handtowels.

In your house I'd probably go dark walnut, and make the rest of the loo very dark too, lots of small framed prints/postcards/theatre tickets/other random shit on the wall, with maybe half height dark tiling to a dado? And a nice vintage looking mirror? If we had a more period home (it's thirties, but basically gutted, so we are just going sort of scandi/mid century) we'd be doing lots of dark colours and cluttered walls. And tweed.

LadyKooKoo Thu 27-Mar-14 11:12:24

Pinterest!

Spindelina Thu 27-Mar-14 11:25:11

Yes to needing tiles, as a splashback round the tiny sink which will be used for teethbrushing. Then once there's a splashback, I think it will look neatest to do the whole wall (so continuing behind loo) and at least part of the neighbouring wall (sink will be in corner, though not a corner sink).

Will white suite against pale tiles look washed out?

I'm coming to the conclusion that what I really want is white suite against dark tiles, but I don't want to clean the dark tiles, so I'm compromising on middle shade tiles, and I don't like that compromise. Hmmm.

Re: dado rails - haven't got them elsewhere so don't want to introduce a 'wrong' period feature. Have considered half-height tiling but I think that will look messy with the mirror (above the sink) and window (above the loo) that are also on the wall.

Liking the idea of just going mad. Love a bit of Harry Beck. If it's mad, then it doesn't have to match the rest of the house.

Pannacotta Thu 27-Mar-14 11:38:12

You could paper the walls and protect with clear glass behind the sink.
Some good pics here
marcusdesigninc.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/10-tips-for-perfect-powder-room.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now