Loft conversion in Wanstead East London

(13 Posts)
jwhdesignandbuild Tue 01-Apr-14 12:09:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

padsi1975 Thu 27-Mar-14 10:01:28

Thanks again for the replies everyone, really helpful and I appreciate it. Feel a bit nervous about the party wall agreement bit.........I have nice neighbours but I think this might rattle them a bit. I will leave that to my husband I think, he is a good communicator.

allthatglittersisnotgold Thu 27-Mar-14 09:35:37

We used for the toilet and shower fittings. We are jsut having a sheet of glass on one side (will be a semi wet room. Then I sourced a Pura Bloque little cabinet (as space was also tight) and did need somewhere to put toothbrush etc. I spent ages looking for something "small". are quite cheap and not "branded" haven't seen how it works so can't review yet (not had 2nd fix). We were on a budget but spent on tiles.

I would start browsing and compiling companies and ideas now, so you have your head round it. Also it's defo worth thinking where you want sockets and rads. Advice re sockets....each corner and either side of bed. Also decide whether you'd want a TV up there as we had that all wired in (whether it works remains to be seen)!

Re Party wall: you don't need a surveyor unless someone has an issue or dissents (meaning they don't respond in alloted time). It's worth getting their feelign on the matter before hand and let them know you will be askign them to sign party wall agreement, so they don't just ignore it, Or you could invite them over for a drink and sign at end?

For a loft conversion done by a good builder the party wall thing is a bit over dramatic. There was absolutely no damage as far as I'm aware.

ThisOneAndThatOne Wed 26-Mar-14 20:18:56

There was some dust on breakthrough day but not that much. I think it depends on what your ceiling is made of.

I found rooftop rooms staff all really clean, tidy and very helpful. And we had great aftercare from them with a problem that cropped up two years later.

The only thing I would advise is to really study the plans carefully before they start. Where do you want plug sockets, radiators etc. the more you can decide early on, the more you can avoid extra costs being added to your budget.

I remember ordering the bathroom suite really early. And it just hung around my dining room for weeks before they used it. So I don't really get the rush there.

As far as duration- there time estimate was pretty bang on. But it then took me ages to order the carpet and get the decorating done.

Also remember that the quotes probably don't include any decorating.

Confuseddd Wed 26-Mar-14 17:14:28

Padsi, read up about party wall agreements as you will need them with your adjoining neighbours. Go round and talk to them. We have five adjoining neighbours. It is taking a lot of time to sort out, and they must be in place before building starts.

padsi1975 Wed 26-Mar-14 15:31:14

Thanks allthatglitters! Well that's good to know, I am surprised to be honest, I thought it would be pretty terrible. I have read reviews about the dust being unbearable and getting everywhere, all bedrooms, hallway, stairs etc requiring redecorating, etc. Rooftop did advise that they would need bathroom suite by day FOUR! I too thought I would just order it when I saw the space (I have horrible spatial reasoning so would find it very difficult to picture anything just from a drawing) but so be it, I will just have to be decisive and get those things ordered. Where did you get your bathroom? I'm actually looking forward to choosing a new bathroom, have never done that before.
Thisoneandthatone, how were Rooftop Rooms from a tidiness/cleanliness perspective?

allthatglittersisnotgold Wed 26-Mar-14 13:32:31

Padsi1975 it's totally possible to live in during it, as long as whoever you use is tidy. They day they broke through with the staircase it was fine! Was shocked to come home and find it there! I wasn't home in the day which I think helped, and it was noisy when the steels go in and roofing, carpentry being done.

I honestly thoguht it was going to be more complicated than it really is. The builders broke in through the roof, then did most of the carpentry from teh inside (with the roof on). Then did steels and party wall build ups. We only had one or two nights where the back of the roof was open to the elements.

If you can give everywhere a dust and hoover a few times a week ou shoudln't feel too dusty. Although you do have a new baby, so during the breakthrough it might be an idea to stay with someone.

My only advice about usign anyone, would be to see who will be on site, and managing that site as you want to be able to ring them etc. I spoke to mine most mornings, just going through bits and peices.

We didn't know what the bathroom layout was going to be like and I couldn't picture it until I saw the actual space. The only stress was we had to order the suite quickly so plumber (who was on a deadline) could do first fix accurately. I did find myself ordering things asap, each week as they needed this or that, but if you know your tastes and what you want it's not too bad, for example all the light fittings are now same throughout flat and we know where to get them all.

I'm rambling now, and can only say it feels very very daunting, but once the back of it is broken you think wow ok I can do this!

padsi1975 Wed 26-Mar-14 13:07:59

Thisoneandthatone, any tips from your experience? How long did it all take and was it vile to live in house at the same time (I'll have a new baby at the time, maybe two or three months old). Thanks!

padsi1975 Wed 26-Mar-14 13:05:03

Thanks everybody. Trimloft seem to do a lot of lofts in the area so I'll definitely go and knock on a few doors to ask about them. Rooftop Rooms seem to get a few good online reviews (but I know that you have to approach those with caution). I tremble at the amount of money and picking anyone dodgy (especially as I will have a brand new baby when the proposed loft is going in so won't be up for much more stress)!
Thanks again for taking time to reply, appreciate it a lot.

allthatglittersisnotgold Wed 26-Mar-14 12:35:05

Yes, what PigletJohn said, no harm in knocking and asking. Just had one and if someone wanted to know about it I'd be happy to tell them. WE used an independent builder for ours rather than a big company. If there's someone you trust it's well worth doing and prices aren't bumped up.

ThisOneAndThatOne Wed 26-Mar-14 06:22:40

I and about 3 other houses on our street used rooftop room

I can't praise them highly enough. Very professional outfit and all their staff are polite and courteous.

PigletJohn Tue 25-Mar-14 23:16:41

cruise around your neighbourhood looking for similar houses with recent loft conversions. Attempt to engage the householder in conversation and see who they used and what they think.

padsi1975 Tue 25-Mar-14 21:58:13

Hi, I know this has been done to death but I can't actually find a lot (or anything at all) on the loft companies that are local to me (Wanstead). I would like to get a loft conversion, so far have had quotes from A and M Lofts, Trimloft, Bespoke Lofts, Rooftop Rooms and Landmark Lofts. Anyone used them before or heard anything about them? Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now