Granite worktops and glass splash back??

(11 Posts)
sunny67 Thu 27-Mar-14 14:31:07

Thanks mrssnodge, that sounds good to me. I don't want to spend ages cleaning grout!
The window sill is tiled at the moment but I think we would have that done in granite as the photos We've seen look really smart done that way.

mrssnodge Thu 27-Mar-14 11:18:15

Just upstands and a glass splash back behind the hob! no tiles in kitchen at all, so easy to keep clean, washable paint, touch this up once a yr and it stays looking great! Kitchen window sill is UPVC and this is just above the upstand so no gap/need for tiles.
I had tiles before and could never keep them clean, always have grease, splashes on them dirty grout, no matter how much I cleaned them- !

sunny67 Wed 26-Mar-14 19:23:07

Millymolly, I like the glazed brick too, I'm not sure if they will date too soon though. The house is 15 years old so ish modern and though the Aga is traditional its black and chrome so can fit to a kitchen that's not too traditions or too modern, at least that's what I'm hoping for.
We are waiting for the design to be finished and then look at samples of everything from glass to tiles.

Glass or perspex splash back are really really easy to clean.

MillyMollyMama Tue 25-Mar-14 20:11:21

I think glazed brick tiles look great behind an AGA. I don't think glass is traditional enough - unless you are in a very modern house with a very modern kitchen.

itsnothingoriginal Tue 25-Mar-14 19:59:26

We have laminate so can't help with that but we do have a glass splashback behind the oven - I love mine! We have no tiles at all, just an upstanding and kitchen paint. It's very easy to wipe the walls clean with kitchen paint - well worth the money.

sunny67 Tue 25-Mar-14 17:20:00

Thanks for your replies, glass is sounding a good idea.
Still a bit pottered about no tiles, every time I get a roast out of the oven I have to wipe splashes off the tiles. I've never used kitchen paint to see how easy it wipes down and I suppose that's what it will need to be above the upstand..

catclarks Tue 25-Mar-14 16:59:52

Can't answer your question about granite as we have silestone, but we have a glass splashback. I was worried about how much I would have to need to do to keep it clean as I'm a bit lazy that way, so we ended up choosing matt glass. A quick wipe with the cloth at it looks great.

mumma24 Tue 25-Mar-14 16:57:45

We have no tiles

mumma24 Tue 25-Mar-14 16:57:11

We have granite workshop, granite upstairs with a black glass splashback behind our range cooker, no problems cleaning the glass, I just use window cleaner on it, no smears

sunny67 Tue 25-Mar-14 15:20:12

Yet another thread on granite!
We are having a new kitchen and I have been looking at a granite called Emerald Pearl, has anyone got it? The kitchen company have suggested an upstand bit at the back with it completely covering the window sill and getting rid of the tiles above this and then glass at the back of the Aga we've got, so there wouldn't be a tile anywhere. What are these glass splash backs like for cleaning? with the Aga having lids, any splashes mainly go on to these when cooking so I pop a tea towel over and problem solved. It's just what the glass is like for smears as we get quite a bit of sun in the kitchen and streaks do my head in!
Sometimes it seems there is way too much choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now