Scaffolding still in my garden after a month

(7 Posts)
MummytoMog Tue 25-Mar-14 12:17:35

Scaffolding came down over a month ago, and a load of poles and bits and pieces were left in my garden. I've nagged the builder, but they still haven't picked up and he won't give me their contact details. I suspect he hasn't paid them to be honest and doesn't want to call them. Anyway, what can I do about this damn scaffolding? My brother has offered to take it away to his yard but then it won't be coming back (he works for a big construction contractor) and I'm worried the company will try and bill me for it. But it's not ok to use my back garden, which I would like to try and reclaim from the muddy pitch the builders turned it into, as a storage unit for their scaff bars.

It's really pissing me off now (along with SO many things about my builders). Has anyone had the same situation? What did you do?

specialsubject Tue 25-Mar-14 12:18:35

tell him that if it isn't gone by (deadline) you will start charging HIM for storage.

lulupeg Tue 25-Mar-14 14:21:18

Say you're going to leave it on the road for scrap if they don't pick it up. It would be gone in 10 minutes on my road...

MummytoMog Tue 25-Mar-14 14:30:43

Oh yeah, when we had the skip there was someone picking over it every day, and we're on a cul de sac. If I had the contact details for the scaffolders, I would have no hesitation in doing this, it's just that I'm stuck with the interface of the stupid builder. I might see if the carpenter will give me their number, he's a bit less of a dick than the builder (although still has a tendency to patronise me until I threaten him with my pipe wrench). I had a look online and it seems like unless I warn the scaffolders twice, I will be liable for the loss of their property if I dispose of it. Which seems bloody unfair.

nessus Wed 26-Mar-14 10:02:05

MummytoMog not the first time I have wondered if we are using the same bastard builder

I would tell said builder that you have found a firm willing to remove the scaffolding bars at cost, and that you will be sure to get an invoice for his records because you shall be billing him and taking it out of whatever is owed to him. Give him a deadline if he wants to avoid the charge. I have been doing this lately and it actually works. It is also a great feeling having grounds for deducting money from (their) fee after being fucked over for so long...

MummytoMog Wed 26-Mar-14 12:17:59

Well my builder definitely had another job on - I know this, because all the people who were working on my house disappeared and never came back. Apart from the carpenter, who says he will never work with him again, and he's only coming back because I'm paying him directly to sort some things out. Oh and because the electrician and the plumber (both of whom were shits and also shit at their jobs) only ever turned up in the evening to work, which was fricking inconvenient and a breach of contract.

Stripytop Wed 26-Mar-14 12:19:56

Put it on freecycle. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now