Help with this chair.

(16 Posts)

I purchased this lovely chair to go in my hall way. I have found a local guy who can recover it for me for £120 but I need some inspiration. What colour should I go with and what should I do with the legs ? Hall floor is cream polished porcelain with cream walls and the only other item in the hall is a chest of drawers like in the photo. I was going to use a duck egg blue chenille as this is the colour in my lounge and it could be dragged in for extra seating. Or do I go for something really striking ?

minipie Tue 25-Mar-14 12:39:44

Ooh, I'd be tempted to do a more stand out colour. But one that goes with duck egg for when you want to pull it in. A deep or hot pink of some sort maybe. Or aubergine.

minipie Tue 25-Mar-14 12:40:00

Or stripes?

Kitsmummy Tue 25-Mar-14 13:03:58

Don't play it safe with duck egg! It only has to co-ordinate with cream so the world's your oyster! We covered our chair In this which I'm sure won't necessarily be your taste but I do think you need to do something exciting, rather than safe. romo mirabel

Kitsmummy Tue 25-Mar-14 13:06:59

Ta da!

Kitsmummy Tue 25-Mar-14 13:11:21

This would be lovely and would go nicely with your chest of drawers? Only thing is whether the zig zag would sit ok on the shape of the chair. marlow

Love this suvi

minipie Tue 25-Mar-14 13:59:26

Mmm love that suvi fabric kitsmummy

I agree, why not find a patterned fabric you love and make it a real feature. If the pattern has a bit of duck egg blue in it, so much the better.

I'm currently in love with this and in fact this whole range.

Kitsmummy Tue 25-Mar-14 14:04:35

Oh that's gorgeous minipie

Wow I love all these suggestions, I have decided against Duck egg, I think it might be too bland and as you all say I should make a statement. Kitsmummy I love your chair, did you have it recovered or did you do it yourself ?. I am steering towards a bright pink or purple, maybe something oriental. I went to Dunelm at lunchtime for inspiration and saw some really luxurious fabrics.

Kitsmummy have just looked on that website and I love the mirabel wallpaper

oooh what about this

minipie Tue 25-Mar-14 15:06:26

the mirabel comes as a fabric too here

nessus Wed 26-Mar-14 09:52:39

Kitsmummy can I ask how many metres of fabric the chair used up?

Kitsmummy Wed 26-Mar-14 10:02:48

Yes that's nice Haveto, definitely more interesting than duck egg!

Nessus, the chair took a lot more than you'd think to look at it, from memory it was either 4 or 5 metres. The upholsterer got me a slight discount on the fabric but it still worked out around �200 fabric and �200 labour, so recovering a chair is certainly not a thrifty option!!!

That's what I have found Kitsmummy my chair was only £25 but £120 labour and 2M of fabric this is going to be expensive but I just couldn't find anything I like.

nessus Wed 26-Mar-14 10:43:16

Thank you Kitsmummy. And to you HaveToWearHeels for starting the thread.

I have 2.5 metres of Lelievre Tilt in Chartreuse and a freecycled 1960s Club Chair I want to pimp upcycle hence wanting an idea of how much fabric it would take and a general idea of labour cost in advance. Hoping fabric will be sufficient as no pattern matching to consider.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now