Is it wanky to change the name of your house??

(66 Posts)
Bramshott Mon 24-Mar-14 11:03:44

Just that really! We've lived her nearly 10 years, never really liked the name, and have some old documents where it's referred to by another name (eg. imagine current name is Oaklands, and alternative name Oak House). So wish we'd known this and changed it when we moved in...

But wonder whether it looks really wanky to change the name now! I know that if I ask friends they'll say "change it" whilst secretly thinking we're really up ourselves so I need honest perspectives here!

NurseyWursey Tue 25-Mar-14 18:19:57

When I worked in admin and shipping, it used to INFURIATE me when someone would call their house 'honeysuckle cottage' but not register it, so when i'd input it I'd have to ring up and ask them for the actual door number and they'd be aghast that'd I'd ask... because putting a fancy sign up doesn't mean your house is thus named Honeysuckle Cottage!

JanePurdy Tue 25-Mar-14 18:05:20

There's a house on my friend's road in Bromley called Shangri-La Utopia. The neighbours are 33 and 37. Cracks me up every time.

wonkylegs Tue 25-Mar-14 17:56:41

10 years ago they numbered our road to accommodate a bunch of new houses. The original Victorian houses all have names & a number, the new ones just numbers.
We just use the numbers for postal address but the houses all have big carved or ornate painted stone gate posts. Everyone in the village refers to our house by its name and looked blankly when we first moved in & I told them the number.grin

stuckindamiddle Tue 25-Mar-14 17:27:56

Houses that have a name, whatever it is, are not my preference.

ElsieMc Tue 25-Mar-14 14:53:28

Not at all, particularly if the house is an amalgamation of names of children, spouses etc. I lived near an Edber (edgar/beryl) and salashlyn.I live in a property called "New..." and my neighbours is "Old...." Completely obvious which is which, but still gets the postman each time.

Bramshott Tue 25-Mar-14 12:36:10

That's my fear burnishedsilver, but reassuring to know that most think we should go for it.

QOD Mon 24-Mar-14 22:46:49

My house has a name and a number. I have to really think about what the name is, but it was there when we moved in

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 24-Mar-14 22:42:55

We gave our house a name when we moved in. It was the only one in the road without a name. It had a solitary number and that was it. We named it after a farm building that used to stand here. I thought it was a nice nod to it's past and then I came on here and found out how wanky it was to give a house a name. grin

burnishedsilver Mon 24-Mar-14 22:35:46

At this stage it's a bit wankey. Different if you did it when you moved in.

Nocomet Mon 24-Mar-14 22:17:24

House up the road has changed it's owners and it's name.

Rather sad, since the old (I accept difficult to pronounce or spell) name is on all the large scale maps of the area. The new name is just dull (bit like Rose cottage).

Our house name is distinctly grander than the house.

MyICDiscalledsparky Mon 24-Mar-14 22:04:21

Our house has a wanky welsh name and nobody can ever find us (embarrassing when the Pizza Hut delivery guys keep ringing the neighbours' doorbells asking which one is "wanky welsh name". All the houses in the lane are named though so we are not the only one. We didn't name it. It had this name when we bought it.

Suzietwo Mon 24-Mar-14 20:21:53

Is very easy to do. Just contact council. I changed the name of my house 1.5 years ago and no problems at all.

everlong Mon 24-Mar-14 20:09:06

What about when people look it up?
It won't be there.
You will have to keep saying ' oh no it was called blah but now it's call blardy blah '

Milliways Mon 24-Mar-14 19:25:22

Our house name causes a few raised eyebrows (especially filling in forms abroad) and I wish we had changed it when we moved in, but it was too much hassle to change our address with everyone on moving in, and then to do it all again.

I wanted to call it "@", so my address would be:
Milliways, @ my lane, end of the Universe etc grin

littleredsquirrel Mon 24-Mar-14 18:51:22

We changed our house name back to its original name. Original name was lovely. Later name was wanky so we changed back to the original. it is a faff registering the name with council, land registry, emergency services, post office etc and some people still struggle to find us (we are in the middle of nowhere).

CoilRegret Mon 24-Mar-14 18:49:04

As our internet domain names.

CoilRegret Mon 24-Mar-14 18:48:42

Ooh #the manor (all lowercase)

We registered the street name as ours and don't use it, just cause we could ;)

RenterNomad Mon 24-Mar-14 18:43:38

DebbieofMaddox, couldn't wnaky be applied to a house, by metonymy? Pretty please!

P.S. What about a hashtag house?!

#dunroamin #rosecottage

Now, that would be tosserific! grin

Bowlersarm Mon 24-Mar-14 18:39:48

It's not twattish if you go back to the original name. Your example of Oak House is rather lovely.

If, on the other hand, you wanted to change it from Oaklands to Dunroaminbramshott Towers, that would be a bit twattish.

Bahhhhhumbug Mon 24-Mar-14 18:35:34

err sorry to answer OP - not twattish imo.

Bahhhhhumbug Mon 24-Mar-14 18:34:57

Reminds me when I lived in the sticks and we had to go over a narrow humpback bridge to get anywhere remotely into civilisation. There was a cottage next to it called 'Two Hoots' apparently not because the owners didn't give two hoots as I imagined because they were retired and living the dream or whatever , but was so named because of the two warning hoots most drivers gave before driving over it.

Keepcalmanddrinkwine Mon 24-Mar-14 18:32:38

We changed ours. We had to fill in forms with the local council and they charged an admin fee to update databases, inform Royal Mail etc. Took about a year for all companies to catch up but was done officially within a few weeks.

No numbers here, we are rural. The old name was an amalgamation of Penis and Anus, but I don't think that was the original intent. I kept the old sign though, for the garden shed.

CoilRegret Mon 24-Mar-14 18:32:37

Ours should be a small odd number. Either side are too. We bought it with awful pretentious wanky foreign name, which we immediately got rid of.

Many of our neighbours are pretentious, white BMW driving, private number plate, hot tub enthusiasts. And we live in an executive desirable new built estate residential street. So, am considering renaming our house THE MANOR just to wind them up.

MrsJamin Mon 24-Mar-14 18:27:34

Name it Excalibur Cottage #alanpartidge

wnaky has a very particular meaning, though, I think. You can't just substitute it for wanky, and it's mostly applied to baskets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now