Is it wanky to change the name of your house??

(66 Posts)
Bramshott Mon 24-Mar-14 11:03:44

Just that really! We've lived her nearly 10 years, never really liked the name, and have some old documents where it's referred to by another name (eg. imagine current name is Oaklands, and alternative name Oak House). So wish we'd known this and changed it when we moved in...

But wonder whether it looks really wanky to change the name now! I know that if I ask friends they'll say "change it" whilst secretly thinking we're really up ourselves so I need honest perspectives here!

runningonwillpower Mon 24-Mar-14 11:38:20

sheila - it's not wanky if there's a good reason.

In our case, a little semi in an ordinary street didn't need to be called anything but '44'.

Anotheronebitthedust Mon 24-Mar-14 11:38:28

Just to warn you it can be a bit of a faff. From what I know, the main bit is ok, you just let the Council know and I think they inform Royal Mail and a few other 'important' businesses/companies (i.e. Inland revenue). However the vast majority of companies/shops/business that then purchase these addresses lists are under no obligation to purchase the most up to date versions, every year, iyswim?

So whenever you have those drop down menus online, there's a good chance that company will be working from a database they bought in 2007 rather than 2014. So for a good few years you will still be showing up as Oaklands rather than Oak House. Sometimes you can of course overwrite this, but some companies won't let you.

Same if you call BT/Dominos Pizza or something, if your address doesn't show up on their list they often refuse to believe you unless you send in shedloads of 'proof,' or, more often, happily agree to change it but don't actually bother and just send everything to the old address, which, of course, the postman can't find because it doesn't exist any more! Even harder trying to explain if you are talking to an overseas call centre to someone whose first language isn't English.

So just be prepared to be constantly correcting post and forms for the next 5 years if you do go through with it!

truelymadlysleepy Mon 24-Mar-14 11:56:08

DH lived in a flat called Seaview, in Neasden grin

drxerox Mon 24-Mar-14 12:19:46

Your house your rules!

MrsWedgeAntilles Mon 24-Mar-14 12:51:36

Running, it doesn't really work like that in the countryside, even with wee tiny houses.

Its fine if you live on a street but if you live 2 miles up a track and your nearest neighbour lives 3 miles up the next track you'd be Number 1 Potholed Track and your neighbour would be Number 1 Equally Potholed Track so its easier if the houses have a name. Or you live on a farm so you might have Old Farm House, Farm Bothy, Farm Caravan, New Farm Bungalow etc which works a lot better if the post man, the police man or the ambulance driver have never been to you before.

MrsWedgeAntilles Mon 24-Mar-14 12:53:04

Oh, sorry Running, cross post

wonkylegs Mon 24-Mar-14 14:23:12

You may not be able to change the name back if there is another house with the same or similar name nearby.
You need to apply through your LA highways department who get first authorisation, they will then contact Royal Mail who will give a second authorisation.
If it is agreed you then need to register the change with the deeds to your house through the land registry. Then finally you need to change your address like you do when you move house - utilities, council tax, dr, dentist, schools etc
It's a bit of a faff - I've never done it as a rename only to register new developments (agreeing on names took a bit of back & forthing)

gamerwidow Mon 24-Mar-14 14:37:37

Who cares if it's wanky or not? it's your house call it what you want as long as it's done officially so as not to confuse po and emergency services.

BorderBinLiner Mon 24-Mar-14 14:55:28

The PIL continually refer to their house as 'Oaktrees' rather than 'home' or as the post office know it as '73'. It must never, ever be referred to as a bungalow. Before you ask, yes, they do have a stick up their arse.

ShoeWhore Mon 24-Mar-14 15:03:55

Haha!

My MIL's another one who called her house an amalgamation of hers and FIL's names. Very fitting for a 90s new build with a perfectly good number. confused

Our house has a name (no numbers in our road) - and clearly has been known by a slight variation on the spelling at some point as we still get the odd bit of post addressed to the variation - it also pops up in some standard address lists online. It's never particularly caused us a problem though.

I knew a couple who bought a house that unfortunately already had a name that sounded like an amalgamation of their names (although with different spelling) and then had to spend the next few years pointing out that they hadn't done it...

My mother's house (rural) has a name but the one on the official database is an incorrect variant (there's a nameplate on the house that's older than databases) -- I think it got transcribed with a random space in the middle at some point and now it's "officially" stuck that way.

FairPhyllis Mon 24-Mar-14 15:08:40

Please make sure you don't pick a name which is similar to one in the area. And register the change properly with the highways department of your council - don't change it informally. This is so emergency services can find you in the event of a 999 call.

RenterNomad Mon 24-Mar-14 17:49:21

Speaking of namechanges, when did people stop using "wnaky"? I miss it! And [wunk]. sad wink

CointreauVersial Mon 24-Mar-14 18:06:35

The council are definitely your first port of call. Not wanky if it's a sensible choice, or you are correcting some sort of house-name abomination.

We are thinking of doing this - our house has for many years been known as "xxx" and this is what is on file with the Land Registry. It's what we understood to be the correct address when we first bought the house, so it's what we used for all our utility bills etc. It's what the sign on the front wall says!

However, the council and Royal Mail (and most address finder databases) have it listed as "yy Anywhere Road", with no mention of the name, which causes some confusion. We tend to use both the house name AND the number when we give out our address, but I'd love to formalise it for once and for all and register "xxx" as the official name to clear up the confusion.

It has caused a problem just once, when I was applying for finance for a car. Trying to verify several variations on the same address.....

MillyMollyMama Mon 24-Mar-14 18:22:58

In rural areas the emergency services still can't find you, name or no name, as we found out when my Mum, whom they had asked for directions, persuaded the ambulance to turn round and have another look down a rural road when they said they were going back to the hospital without finding the emergency! They did look again and found a man who had collapsed in his house.

Not wanky in the slightest. We had a completely shit house name, dreadful, and everyone always felt the need to make a "joke" about it. None of which were funny, we heard them all a load of times!! Even people on the phone who I had never met from call centres felt the need to comment when you gave your address to them. Tossers!

So we did some research and changed the name back to an old name of the house from the deeds. Life has been much calmer since and no one so much as bats an eyelid now.

And we have no house numbers so going really minimalist was not an option!

wnaky has a very particular meaning, though, I think. You can't just substitute it for wanky, and it's mostly applied to baskets.

MrsJamin Mon 24-Mar-14 18:27:34

Name it Excalibur Cottage #alanpartidge

CoilRegret Mon 24-Mar-14 18:32:37

Ours should be a small odd number. Either side are too. We bought it with awful pretentious wanky foreign name, which we immediately got rid of.

Many of our neighbours are pretentious, white BMW driving, private number plate, hot tub enthusiasts. And we live in an executive desirable new built estate residential street. So, am considering renaming our house THE MANOR just to wind them up.

Keepcalmanddrinkwine Mon 24-Mar-14 18:32:38

We changed ours. We had to fill in forms with the local council and they charged an admin fee to update databases, inform Royal Mail etc. Took about a year for all companies to catch up but was done officially within a few weeks.

No numbers here, we are rural. The old name was an amalgamation of Penis and Anus, but I don't think that was the original intent. I kept the old sign though, for the garden shed.

Bahhhhhumbug Mon 24-Mar-14 18:34:57

Reminds me when I lived in the sticks and we had to go over a narrow humpback bridge to get anywhere remotely into civilisation. There was a cottage next to it called 'Two Hoots' apparently not because the owners didn't give two hoots as I imagined because they were retired and living the dream or whatever , but was so named because of the two warning hoots most drivers gave before driving over it.

Bahhhhhumbug Mon 24-Mar-14 18:35:34

err sorry to answer OP - not twattish imo.

Bowlersarm Mon 24-Mar-14 18:39:48

It's not twattish if you go back to the original name. Your example of Oak House is rather lovely.

If, on the other hand, you wanted to change it from Oaklands to Dunroaminbramshott Towers, that would be a bit twattish.

RenterNomad Mon 24-Mar-14 18:43:38

DebbieofMaddox, couldn't wnaky be applied to a house, by metonymy? Pretty please!

P.S. What about a hashtag house?!

#dunroamin #rosecottage

Now, that would be tosserific! grin

CoilRegret Mon 24-Mar-14 18:48:42

Ooh #the manor (all lowercase)

We registered the street name as ours and don't use it, just cause we could ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now