Is it wanky to change the name of your house??

(66 Posts)
Bramshott Mon 24-Mar-14 11:03:44

Just that really! We've lived her nearly 10 years, never really liked the name, and have some old documents where it's referred to by another name (eg. imagine current name is Oaklands, and alternative name Oak House). So wish we'd known this and changed it when we moved in...

But wonder whether it looks really wanky to change the name now! I know that if I ask friends they'll say "change it" whilst secretly thinking we're really up ourselves so I need honest perspectives here!

really1234 Mon 24-Mar-14 11:04:52

Yes it is wanky. Sorry.

Rosieliveson Mon 24-Mar-14 11:05:26

I'd change it. Might confuse the postman for a while but if the new name is nicer then I'd go for it grin

TheBigBumTheory Mon 24-Mar-14 11:06:34

My mum did, she's not wanly at all. Her house was called 'dunwerkin' or some such pun when she bought it and she changed it to a more classy name. You have to do it officially so that the emergency services etc know where you are.

JoinTheDots Mon 24-Mar-14 11:06:41

I would change it. If anyone asks, telling them you never liked the name of the house and found out it used to be called <new name> should pacify them. Not up yourself at all!

Not sure how much of a hassle it is to do mind you?

cupcake78 Mon 24-Mar-14 11:09:14

I think it depends what you call it! We had a house near us go from something basic like Ashlea/oakfields etc to bloody Carpe Diem. Now that's wanky shock

Were considering giving out house a name. Dh thinks we should call it rose cottage because everywhere is called rose cottage. It has no roses and is not a cottage smile

TheBigBumTheory Mon 24-Mar-14 11:12:20

Rose cottage was a euphemism for the morgue in a hospital where I used to work...

Bragadocia Mon 24-Mar-14 11:12:24

I think in those circumstances, where it's a previously used name, it's fine.
When I was a kid, we moved from a distinctive house with a name (let's say Wisteria Villa) to a normal suburban house with a number, and my mother insisted on calling it Wisteria Cottage. Now that was wanky.

Fontofnowt Mon 24-Mar-14 11:13:44

I vote Geoffrey.
Never see houses called Geoffrey these days.

cupcake78 Mon 24-Mar-14 11:17:26

I LOVE Geoffrey! Great idea. Just imagine being asked your houses name and saying oh its erm Geoffrey grin

NigellasDealer Mon 24-Mar-14 11:19:22

or Eric?
no not 'wanky' but could lead to confusion with PO etc

whereisshe Mon 24-Mar-14 11:20:41

Brilliant idea! I want my house to be called Geoffrey grin.

OP I wouldn't think it was wanky if it was a similar name. Carpe Diem on the other hand...

RenterNomad Mon 24-Mar-14 11:20:44

If this were our house, I'd ditch the name and have a number. Couriers have a hard enough time with us, what with the "X Street"/ "X Close" problem; it takes the biscuit when they have to cruise up and down, looking for the house name!

cupcake78 Mon 24-Mar-14 11:21:10

I'm thinking Colin! I don't know why I'm drawn to Colin

UriGeller Mon 24-Mar-14 11:24:26

You're going back to the houses original name, that's not wanky in the least. The wanky ones were the people who changed the houses name in the first place. My uncle once bought a house that was called "Britonia" by its owners, Brian and Antonia. Classy.

I too vote for more houses called Geoffrey. Great name.

Bramshott Mon 24-Mar-14 11:27:30

Thanks for your replies - seems most are in favour of changing.

It's not the 'original' name as such, but another name it's been known by at one point.

Renter - no numbers here I'm afraid - too rural!

I wonder how long the post office are happy to use two names? It's easy to notify them, but presumably they still deliver post with the old name on for a while. Much easier if you do it when moving in. Our postman is "huffy" at the best of times!

sheilafisher Mon 24-Mar-14 11:28:25

We changed our house name back to the original. There was a big plaque on the front gatepost with "Geoffrey House" on it, then we took off some creeping ivy from the stonework and found it had originally just been called "Geoffrey" actually. Much less wanky.

obviously it isn't actually called Geoffrey but will now always be called that

runningonwillpower Mon 24-Mar-14 11:28:42

Unless you live in some sort of mansion in the country, I tend to view house names like personalised number plates - unnecessary and a tad wanky.

In that spirit, we changed the name of our house back to '44'. Cos our neighbours are 42 and 46.

sheilafisher Mon 24-Mar-14 11:33:02

In our case running it's a town house, but in a street where lots of old gardens have been sold off for new houses. This has meant there are lots of 2, 2a, 2b, 3, 3f, 13, 13a etc going on. They don't always run in the expected order for some reason, so most people use the house name as well as the number. When we moved in first, we thought it wanky, till we had to chase an ambulance all over the street when they were coming to pick up my DM (blue light) and didn't know how the numbers worked. Using the house name too, solved that.

If you're changing it back to a name it previously had, then I think that's fine. Changing it to something new is a little on the wanky side. You do need to get any changes approved by the Royal Mail, though (I have no idea how you do that).

runningonwillpower Mon 24-Mar-14 11:33:33

Have just seen Bramshott's rural reference.

In that case, it has to be a name you like. Go ahead and change it.

ArtexMonkey Mon 24-Mar-14 11:35:21

Call it Casa Bevron.

FobblyWoof Mon 24-Mar-14 11:35:41

So where cars are traditionally seen as female am I to assume that houses are male? If so, mine is totally a Derek!

Agree with running. I knew a really pretentious couple whose house was called something terrible like Lilyput Lodge and insisted it be called that. It was a two up two down, Victorian cottage with an extension on the back!

grin at Casa Bevron

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now