Island flush ceiling cooker hood any good? Other options?

(10 Posts)
omama Wed 19-Mar-14 20:33:16

We're currently planning an extension to create a large open plan kitchen/diner with a large island. We want to put the hob on the island, so are now looking for suitable cooker hoods. The ceiling is low at 2.2m & so we are both keen to ensure whatever we choose doesn't obstruct our view across the room.

We've seen you can now get flush ceiling extractors which have integrated lighting, which seem to fit the bill perfectly, but I can't find much recent information online as to how effective they are.

DH is concerned it would be too far away from the hob to extract effectively, & I found comments online posted several years ago that reiterated his concerns. I appreciate technologies may have changed, but cannot find any recent reviews to prove it.

Of the ones we've looked at, the manufacturer cites them as being one of their best products (they are certainly one of the most expensive), and they seem to have much higher extraction rates than conventional chimney hoods.

The room is going to be large so whatever we choose, needs to have a high extraction rate of around 1200m3/hr.

Is there anyone with knowledge of these hoods who can advise on their effectiveness? Or perhaps suggest suitable alternatives for a low ceiling height?

TIA.

kmdesign Thu 20-Mar-14 07:27:30

Ceiling recessed hoods are extremely effective and quiet if installed properly. You want 6 inch equivalent ducting and a clean straight run with quality ducting equivalent. They have become incredibly popular of late but dont buy any of the cheaper ones. They are cheap for a reason.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 20-Mar-14 08:27:36

heat rises - so it will still be efficient ! don't worry !
KM makes a very valid point about the ducting and buying a good one - the more direct the ducting the better too ! make sure you have a specific place to keep the remote - as it's annoying if you can't find it when you need it !!

RatherNot Thu 20-Mar-14 09:51:13

I've had a Westin compact, which I assume are the ones you've looked at. I had very high ceilings and it worked well - remote controllled with x4 internal lights.

RatherNot Thu 20-Mar-14 09:57:07

Actually, you know you don't need a cooker hood to comply with building regs - you need extraction (of a certain level but can't remember the figures) so you could consider a fan venting to an outside wall. I looked into it briefly with the Buildings Inspector when I found out the heart-attack inducing price of Westin extractors.

omama Thu 20-Mar-14 11:49:38

Thanks for the replies & very sound advice.

I've been into my local independent kitchen shop today & they recommended the flush ceiling hoods as being the best & most suitable for our ceiling height & also suggested good quality straight ducting (thanks kmdesigns) Now just to get DH on side...... wink

kmdesign Thu 20-Mar-14 21:38:04

Westin is a good make and they make some innovative products. However, their competitive edge is being eroded and for a bit more I would recommend Gutmann. Absolutely the best extraction out there.

MrsFlorrick Fri 21-Mar-14 00:47:52

I have my hob on my island and I have a down draft extractor which is ducted under the floor to the outside. Works great and looks fab and it's totally hidden when not in use.

I recommend it if you can

luxair Sat 29-Aug-15 15:55:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MichaelD Sun 30-Oct-16 13:00:48

Hello KMDesign,

Spotted some advise you provided back in 2014 regarding kitchen extractors Westin vs Gutmann).

I wondered what trade you are in? Do you supply and fit said extractors, or are you just someone who knows lots about them?

We are building a large kitchen, lounge & diner area and by my calculations need about 1500m3/hr extraction (room is about 8m x 8m).

This leaves me looking at the Westin Stratus + SEM7 external motor, which I think ticks these boxes.

I'm currently in the process of trying to get some quotes from local vendors.

Any advice welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks

Michael

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now