Rugby or Daventry?

(13 Posts)
Fuzzyduck21 Tue 18-Mar-14 18:34:47

Do any of you live in Rugby or Daventry? We are considering a new build (or approx 10 years old) in these locations. Does anyone have an opinion on these locations as a place to live?

Thanks in advance!

Martorana Tue 18-Mar-14 18:37:38

grin no idea! sorry- I thought this was a baby name thread and I was going to tell you not to be silly.........!

007licencetospill Tue 18-Mar-14 21:11:46

Rugby is nicer but still mixed. Where do you need to commute for work? Why daventry-rugby

Fuzzyduck21 Wed 19-Mar-14 07:39:14

My husband works in south warwickshire but our parents are closer to the rugby daventry area so they could assist with child are whereas they wouldn't be able to if we moved more towards south warwickshire. Decisions decisions!

oldboiler Wed 19-Mar-14 09:46:15

Daventry is grim. Every other shop in the town centre is now a charity shop. Very little to do for children. Hasn't even got a train station to make it easy to get out. Rugby is much nicer and closer to nicer towns like Stratford upon Avon and Leamington Spa.

Redbird12 Tue 25-Mar-14 18:21:39

I live in Daventry and my mum lives in Rugby.

Daventry is probably slightly cheaper as it is seen as less desirable, however it is ok for a small town. Not much for a night out or for clothes shopping but plenty of little shops and cafes (plus a Waitrose!) I have found it easy to meet other mums and there is plenty going on for little ones between the Surestart centres, NCT, library, softplay, leisure centre etc. Easy access to M1 and not far to M40. Not too far to Northampton, Milton Keynes, Banbury or Leamington Spa.

Rugby is bigger so has a wider selection of shops and restaurants - still plenty of empty shops and charity shops though! Much better rated schools though than Daventry if this is of concern to you. Mainline station to London/Birmingham as well. Nicest areas considered to be south Rugby generally, north ok but mainly big new housing estates so less character. Overall, i would rate Rugby more, Daventry is just more convenient for both DH and i for work and we got more house for our money.

PM me if you want any more info.

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 25-Mar-14 18:24:41

Please do not move to Daventry. Sorry Redbird but it really is the worst town I have ever lived in and I've lived in 32 different places in my life.

Pinkcustardpurplecustard Tue 25-Mar-14 19:42:18

I would work backwards. Find an excellent secondary school, then live in catchment and close to a feeder primary school you like.

Pinkcustardpurplecustard Tue 25-Mar-14 19:42:36

Rugby is definitely nicer but mixed

90sthrowback Tue 25-Mar-14 19:44:42

May I throw in Long Buckby just over the border in Northants - good access to M! / M6 / A14 plus station is on mainline into Euston. Good schools, thriving community , lovely countryside, 10 mins away from Daventry and Rugby

Pinkcustardpurplecustard Tue 25-Mar-14 19:51:19

Just looked at rugby schools and unless you have money, they are all grim. What about Southam? It's close to daventry and rugby but has an excellent school with high results.

Redbird12 Tue 25-Mar-14 22:45:09

Rugby has some outstanding rates state schools so why are they grim? My mum moved there last year to a new housing development and all the neighbours seem to have moved to that area specifically for the (state) schools.
Funkyboldribena Daventry is definitely not the worst town i have lived in! Dont want to out myself but i have lived in worse places in both the Midlands and the North West.

Rugby schools are ok, we have 2 grammar schools that are very highly rated.

Rugby has a real mix of housing, what side of Rugby you choose will make a huge difference to what is available.

Daventry is not great, I personally wouldn't live there.

OP, which areas of Rugby are you interested in? That would help people to give better, practical advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now