crack in artex ceiling

(6 Posts)
dontworryjustpanic Tue 18-Mar-14 15:08:03

I have noticed a crack in our artex covered ceiling. I believe artex contains asbestos so is this a big problem & what should I do about it?

ChazzerChaser Tue 18-Mar-14 15:16:32

Interested to see what others say. I had similar and was told it was such low grade asbestos, if there at all, that it didn't matter. You'd need to be snorting it daily.

YuccanLiederHorticulture Tue 18-Mar-14 15:59:21

You can buy artex filler from B&Q and similar DIY shops. I patched up a cracky artex ceiling relatively easily using this.

You are right that some old artex contains asbestos but this isn't on the scale of asbestos used as insulation so there is no need to panic. If drilling or sanding artex you are supposed to take precautions to ensure no-one breathes the dust, but patching it up will not involve any drilling or sanding so you will be fine.

not all of it does contain asbestos. post mid 80's is normally ok

dontworryjustpanic Tue 18-Mar-14 20:47:00

Thanks for all your replies. The house is 1960s & I expect the ceiling is original so most likely does contain asbestos. I'll try to stop worrying about contaminating my children's lungs tho and get down to B & Q this weekend!

SomeLikeItChilliHot Tue 18-Mar-14 22:53:27

We're buying a house with asbestos in 3 of the ceilings. The company that tested for it (at a charge of £144) want £2300 to remove and safely dispose of the ceiling. Then we'd have to pay a builder separately £1500 to put the ceilings back in ready for painting shock Then I discovered a website called Asbestos Watchdog. They responded to my email immediately and said that it's a rip off quote, that it doesnt need to be removed as white asbestos in artex on plasterboard is in such minimal quantities that it wouldn't have any ill effects on health. They also said that we have all breathed in asbestos from worn break pads in cars on the roads, and we all sleep under low energy lightbulbs with mercury in them... They were very passionate about the subject! So we have decided to plaster over the offending ceilings and keep them well maintained. If that helps your answer grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now