Bathroom fan has died - can I sort it myself?

(7 Posts)
CelticJuggler Tue 18-Mar-14 07:26:42

We have a fan in our ensuite (on a seperate switch to the light if that's relevant) which has been sounding "not right" for a while and now has stopped working.

It's a white box on the ceiling about 20cm square, with a grill over it so I assume that's the fan! It doesn't have a timer cut out as far as I know.

Can I just swap it out, or will it be a plumber/ electrician job? (And if so, how?!)

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Tue 18-Mar-14 07:33:33

If you are reasonably competent with electrics and DIY, I don't see why not. Dh is not an electrician and he does those sorts of things. He recently replaced the extractor fan in the en suite. I don't think he would have tried installing one from scratch, as it would have meant cutting a hole in the soffit, but, as all the bits were already there, he was quite happy to go up into the loft and swap out the fan itself.

PigletJohn Tue 18-Mar-14 11:22:27

you had better TURN OFF THE POWER AT THE CONSUMER UNIT (not the light switch) and have a good look at it. The cover probably comes off with one screw. You may have a fan in the loft. That sort can be very good. Or you may just have a surface or recessed fan.

When you have had a good look at it, especially looking for the makers name, see if you can match it to one of the illustrations on here.

Light switches do not turn off all the power in light fittings or fans.

mistlethrush Tue 18-Mar-14 11:28:04

We replaced one of ours recently - just make sure the replacement one is the same size (internally, not just the grill bit) so that it will fit.

specialsubject Tue 18-Mar-14 12:09:21

I think this is a 'may I' and 'can I' question :-)

legally, yes you may if you are just replacing like for like and are competent to do so.

whether you CAN do it is for you to judge with the information as above!

CelticJuggler Tue 18-Mar-14 15:17:10

Yeah, I think it may b a job for DH tbh! I've just tried to get to the fan and nearly killed myself, so will use DH for height!

And, from previous experience, the power will be off at the mains!

RelocatorRelocator Tue 18-Mar-14 23:01:26

We've done this in the past with no problems but I thought you weren't meant to do electrics in a bathroom any more unless properly qualified?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now