Anyone know Ampthill in Beds?

(14 Posts)
RelocatorRelocator Mon 17-Mar-14 16:59:28

We are thinking of relocating there and I would love some local knowledge of the place. It looks lovely but what's it really like? What's the mix of people like?

Dh would be commuting into London from Flitwick. Schools look good on paper (plan to visit soon) - are they as good as they look? When I googled I picked up a few grumblings re anti-social behaviour on weekend evenings but not sure how bad a problem this is? Anything else I need to know/might not have thought of?

Finding this whole relocation malarkey hugely stressful!

Thegoatprophecy Mon 17-Mar-14 19:43:01

I lived near Milton Keynes and sometimes went into Ampthill, very attractive place and it was well thought of, never heard anything bad about it. The general area is fine too I would say. I would be happy to live there, but cant answer specific questions sorry.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Mon 17-Mar-14 19:51:16

Dh used to live there and his parents still do.

Think it is a nice place, though mil said she used to park in Flitwick on the street near the station and her car was vandalised by local residents who obviously objected to her parking there, so your dh might want to park in the station car park to avoid this!

Pil have not complained of any anti social behaviour and they would if it were going on as they wouldn't like that. Ampthill seems to me to be very nice, mil did complain a friend didn't get her children into her preferred school so had to drive them 20 minutes away, but the alternative school was also a good one she just had to travel further.

There are plans to expand the village, I believe permission was given for an extra 400 houses. Pil are not keen on this but they can be a bit nimbyish to be honest. That's the only negative I can think of, good luck with your move :-)

RelocatorRelocator Mon 17-Mar-14 20:08:28

Thank you both so much for your replies. I am nervous as hell about making the wrong choice! With school age dcs in tow we can't really afford to get this wrong and make them move twice

occasionalposter Mon 17-Mar-14 22:32:27

Ampthill is much nicer than Flitwick. The town centre is Georgian and the park is lovely. Waitrose is there, but there is a Tesco in Flitwick if you prefer (alhtough I am told that it is an expensive Tesco - it always seems rather down market to me).

Schools wise, it is a three tier system at present - lower, middle and upper. Woodlands Middle is good (in Flitwick) and Redbourne Upper is very popular; they have alot of building work going on and seem to have good facilities. I can't speak for the lower schools in the area.

I would quite like to live in Ampthill; the downside is that it is more expensive than Flitwick, even though it is Flitwick that has the station!

RelocatorRelocator Tue 18-Mar-14 09:32:24

Thanks occasional - what would you say the social mix is like in Ampthill? We're not at all snobby about that kind of thing (where we live now has a very broad social mix) but it'd be nice to think there would be some like-minded people so we could build a social life!

My grandparents lived there for over sixty years! Can't say about schools or social life but it's a pretty town that feels very well to do and the park / firs are lovely. Great place for running, exploring, playing in the woods and big views.

And there's a waitrose now!!!!

spotty26 Tue 18-Mar-14 11:37:26

Ampthill is lovely. All the residents are up in arms in the paper as Costa is coming... The sign of gentrification surely.

There is a nice antiques centre and indie shops. Great wine shop. What is not to like! If I were not a towny I would live here or Olney.

RelocatorRelocator Tue 18-Mar-14 12:03:14

Thanks haveyoutried and spotty .

Costa has already arrived in Ampthill, from what I saw last week! Very similar outrage where I live a couple of years ago re Costa's arrival so I should feel right at home then grin As it turns out Costa hasn't put the rest of our town out of business after all never really looks that busy when I walk past

spotty26 Tue 18-Mar-14 12:07:48

Don't you love a nimby. Bet they have all been in "just to try it".

Yes, sure it will not affect it negatively at all. Have you looked at Clophill? Always gorge houses on the market there.

overthemill Tue 18-Mar-14 12:10:36

We live near ampthill and dd at Redborne upper school. Ampthill is nice some problems late at night with drinken clubbers (!) I hear but really not much of anything. Costa was campaigned against because of independent coffee shops but it's big enough I reckon to have loads of cafés! Some good places to eat , little independent shops (which close frequently) great cookshp, nice park, monthly 'cinema' at park side with kids film in afternoon and more grown up kne at 7.30. Good curry house . Lower schools good and alameda middle got great reputation. Redborne is very good academically though I feel not do good for SEN kids (personal view). Lower schools in flitwick also good and woodland middle in flitwick is brilliant (we moved our dd their from another middle because she was struggling). I highly recommend woodland. Try to get your dcs into your local schools though because then they can walk everywhere to friends. Also good brownies etc and there is a nature group to as an alternatives .

Owllady Fri 21-Mar-14 14:49:41

The worst amount if trouble you get in ampthill is someone forgetting to thank you if you hold the door open for them confused

Honestly!

ShoeWhore Sun 23-Mar-14 19:16:50

Thanks everyone!

Are there many Guardian readers do you think? wink

Ampmum Sat 29-Mar-14 10:37:40

Hi, I live in Ampthill with hubby and daughter. Moved here from Westoning (village other side of Flitwick) 8 years ago. Best thing we ever did. Ampthill has good schools (3 tier, my daughter goes to the Firs but have also heard good things about the Russell). Houses are more expensive than other parts of Beds, but this is a great place to live. Amenities of a town but with a village feel. We often walk into town for a sandwich on a Saturday (you must try the Cooks Collection, they do great cakes and fresh soups/sardines), and people smile and say "Morning", which is lovely. I'll be honest, it's a WASP enclave (check out the last census and you'll get a feel for the make up of the residents), but I am very happy bringing up my daughter here. As with all areas there are the very wealthy (tend to live in the georgian houses and send the kids to private school in Bedford), the pretty well off and the not so well off but there are lots of social clubs/activities and people seem to get along quite happily. It feels safe, and there's no crime to speak of. The Cellar Bar had a bad reputation for under-age drinking but has recently closed. There are great restaurants/shops in Ampthill, and pool/leisure centre and station in Flitwick, MK has everything else you might need. There are plans to build another 400 houses. People are concerned about this for a number of reasons. Being Georgian the town centre is very narrow and I have seen gridlock at Christmas (queuing to get into Waitrose car park) and when delivery lorries park up, this will only get worse with 400 (more likely 800) plus cars in town. Be warned about looking outside Ampthill but wanting your children to go to school here - there is already one new housing estate (Ampthill Heights), this has put pressure on the schools, the middle is expanding but I've been told by a councillor that in future there won't be enough spaces for non-Ampthill residents kids. I don't know what other local schools are like but there must be a reason so many non-Ampthill kids go to school here. Each year we have a 3 day festival (rock concert on the Friday evening, Proms in the Park on the Saturday evening, and then Gala Day on the Sunday), and this year they are also including a book festival on the Sunday. All organised by locals. It was a great feeling sat in the park for the Proms, surrounded by friends and neighbours, all with picnics and flags, watching the amazingly talented local orchestra while the kids ran around with their friends, popping back for strawberries. Idyllic. Followed by the schools and local groups marching in home made costumes in the parade on the Sunday. Quite old fashioned but a lovely sense of community. You won't regret it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now