Which paint for solid wood kitchen that's probably been waxed?

(10 Posts)
CuddyMum Mon 17-Mar-14 13:58:39

Am currently off with my arm set straight in a plastercast and my mind is whizzing with ideas! Thankfully still have dominant hand to communicate with.

We have a sort shabbyish solid wooden kitchen that I guess may have seen a coat of wax a while ago from the previous owners. I want to achieve that lovely (posh) creamy hand painted look. I also want a company to re enamel the Aga to cream too (but that'll be another post) oh and have wooden worktops and change the wall tiles... hmm

Has anyone painted a wooden kitchen themselves and what did you use?

there's a company called Liberon based in Lydd Kent - who make a product to clean the wax off and get it ready for painting - I think it's called Libnet ?! can't remember ?! but worth googling them or ringing for a chat ! they really know their stuff !! sounds an exciting project ! have fun with it !!! don't over do it if you are supposed to be resting though !!! :-)

CuddyMum Tue 18-Mar-14 09:56:35

Thank you. It's only my mind overdoing it for now as I have had a severed nerve reattached smile

TheFantasticFixit Tue 18-Mar-14 09:58:05

Look at Annie Sloan chalk paint. I just used it on our kitchen and I love it

SilverSixpence Tue 18-Mar-14 09:58:13

You could use annie sloan with clear wax to get that effect without removing all the previous finish.

CuddyMum Tue 18-Mar-14 10:09:11

I wondered about Annie Sloan too. I have previously made my own chalk paint on some (a lot of!) old furniture for the spare room. It seems durable enough but I guess it's not heavily used. Might have to use the real thing (£££ shock)

PigletJohn Tue 18-Mar-14 11:16:53

paint does not stick to wax so you will have to get it all off.

I would have used white spirit, a scraper, wire wool, and rags, but if there is a special product, try that.

You will need plastic, or neoprene, but not rubber, gloves. Rubber will perish and fall apart. You will need a vast amount of ventilation to avoid being found slumped on the floor.

AnythingNotEverything Sat 12-Apr-14 21:12:10

Sorry to drag this up ...

TheFantasticFixIt - what did you seal your kitchen with? I want to paint mine but not sure the wax will cut it in a kitchen.

TIA.

CuddyMum Tue 15-Apr-14 18:42:55

I'm now thinking of going down the sanding, sugarsoap, undercoat, eggshell route.

FlyLikeABird Wed 16-Apr-14 08:15:59

There's a multisurface paint from Bedec which covers all sorts of surfaces. They will send out colour samples and give advice over the phone. I've not used it yet but liked the look of the satin finish sample they sent me (I'm looking to paint uPVC and an orange shed). It is stocked in our local builders merchants but not the DIY stores.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now