White painted cabinets, white work surfaces, wood floor, what colour tiles?

(9 Posts)
steppingintothecanineunknown Mon 17-Mar-14 10:04:12

I'm doing a little kitchen facelift which involves changing the horrible old tiles. The cabinets are white painted wood, the work surfaces are white Corian with a tiny grey tone to it, the floor is oak and the walls are cream but I might get them painted.

What colour tiles should we go with? I've got a pale blue which I want or dh reckons white will be 'safer'.
To complicate things slightly there is a row of tiling along the top of the bit above the cooker hood so that could be a darker blue if we went with white.

anotherplace Mon 17-Mar-14 10:07:52

Was going to say a pale duck egg blue, timeless but not drab and is a good foil for bright accessories.

steppingintothecanineunknown Mon 17-Mar-14 10:15:58

The blue is that kind of shade (although it looks greyer in the link)...www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/catrangetiles/wall-tiles/prismatics-satin-blue-green/harebell-satin-oblong-andprs42-4604/5465/

I have some cream Dualit accessories and it seems ok ish with those.

Think white will be too glary and boring with all the other white. I need to persuade DH though!

minipie Mon 17-Mar-14 11:39:29

I'd go for a blueish grey or greyish blue.

I wouldn't go for white personally, bit too utilitarian and shows any marks more!

steppingintothecanineunknown Mon 17-Mar-14 18:49:11

Latest thinking is the same range's bluebell which is a lovely soft mid blue with a grey undertone....sound ok?

truelymadlysleepy Mon 17-Mar-14 19:03:31

I agree with mini, a blue/grey

are the walls, where the previous tiles were , flat enough to paint for a while instead ? just so you can try colours out and live with them for a bit -before committing to expensive tiles ?!
I think this works well - white trims - white cabinets - pale grey tiles with darker grey walls - as the oak floor will inject some warmth - so won't feel cold

I've just posted a link on www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/2026583-feature-wall-ideas-in-a-beige-room
with a link to a colour inspiration site that might help you too !

steppingintothecanineunknown Tue 18-Mar-14 10:08:36

I love that look and those are colours we have elsewhere and would be happy to use.

Think the solution then might be white tiles and have the room repainted a lovely shade around the rest of it as that needs doing too anyway....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now