What things have been deal breakers on a house that you liked?

(52 Posts)
CrapBag Sat 15-Mar-14 13:21:01

I have just had a second viewing on a house and DH saw it for the first time.

We liked it. However, we are hoping for a bigger garden, this one was small and all completely decked. DS immediately said it was too small (and he is used to our postage stamp of a 'garden' that we have now). Also in the main bedroom, there is no room for any wardrobes or drawers. They have big built in wardrobes in the third bedroom, which would be DDs room. I don't really want to have to go in and out of her room forever to get our stuff.

Its a shame as there was loads of storage, it was in a nice quiet street and had amazing views. However I think these 2 things matter quite a bit and it would annoy me if we took a chance and lived there.

What things have been deal breakers on an otherwise nice house?

I am seeing what looks like a nice 4 bed one this week, however, the area doesn't have a great reputation. We already live in this area but we are right on the edge and on a quiet street. The house I am going to look at is more in the middle. The one I saw today was in the same area (D at a good school here) but again it was on the edge.

stargirl04 Sun 16-Mar-14 19:43:29

I'm a first-time buyer in London on the bottom rung so my deal breakers were limited.

They were:

1. Noisy, busy roads
2. More than 15 min walk from a train station (in London people want to be near stations, should ever need to rent it out)
3. Anywhere where I would feel unsafe walking home alone late at night.
4. Tiny, cramped lounge
5. No parking
6. Downstairs toilet only
7. Antisocial neighbours
8. Grubby or dirty communal areas
9. Blocks of flats or apartment blocks that smell of curry (yes, they do exist - I used to live in one!) or urine. (Lots of these!)

I bought a 9-year-old purpose-built flat with no outside space (but with lots of parks nearby) with a good sized lounge, a small double bedroom and single bedroom, on the top floor with a loft. The building, exterior and interior, and communal gardens are immaculately clean and well maintained. With no curry or urine smells grin

It's only 5 mins' walk to the station in a safe neighbourhood, 18 mins' train journey to central London and in a quiet, peaceful cul-de-sac. But there is nowhere to put my pushbike.... ah, compromises!

stargirl04 Sun 16-Mar-14 19:44:07

Oh, and not in my ex's neighbourhood wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now