What things have been deal breakers on a house that you liked?

(52 Posts)
CrapBag Sat 15-Mar-14 13:21:01

I have just had a second viewing on a house and DH saw it for the first time.

We liked it. However, we are hoping for a bigger garden, this one was small and all completely decked. DS immediately said it was too small (and he is used to our postage stamp of a 'garden' that we have now). Also in the main bedroom, there is no room for any wardrobes or drawers. They have big built in wardrobes in the third bedroom, which would be DDs room. I don't really want to have to go in and out of her room forever to get our stuff.

Its a shame as there was loads of storage, it was in a nice quiet street and had amazing views. However I think these 2 things matter quite a bit and it would annoy me if we took a chance and lived there.

What things have been deal breakers on an otherwise nice house?

I am seeing what looks like a nice 4 bed one this week, however, the area doesn't have a great reputation. We already live in this area but we are right on the edge and on a quiet street. The house I am going to look at is more in the middle. The one I saw today was in the same area (D at a good school here) but again it was on the edge.

Octopusinabunchofdaffodils Sat 15-Mar-14 17:41:51

Our requirements were 1. At the closed end of a cul-de-sac 2. With open land nearby for the DCs to play on and 3. In a catchment area for good schools.

We got all of those, and within a fairly modest budget compared to prices in some parts of the country.

RuddyDuck Sat 15-Mar-14 17:49:30

Location would override most things for me. However there are a couple of deal breakers, one being if there was no off-street parking, the other would be if the garden was north-facing, unless it was a huge garden.

Interestingly, before we moved to our current house I would have said a small kitchen (ie too small for a table) would have been a deal breaker but when we saw this house the positives outweighed the small kitchen, so we bought it ( and have now extended, so kitchen is large but we didn't think that was financially viable when we bought).

As long as you have got some outside space which gets the sun, could you not make the most of it? especially if the house ticks all other boxes for you?

echt Sat 15-Mar-14 18:36:26

Yikes, Thumbwitch, do you have snakes? I assume your yard must be open. I'd have thought redbacks in the leaf litter would be a bind, I know it is here.

What you say about wall space stuck a chord; our front room is virtually floor to ceiling windows down one side, so finding space to put in the bookcases, never mind hang pictures, had us scratching our heads.

hyperspacebug Sat 15-Mar-14 20:15:13

2 combined is...I guess it really depends on what you can afford in the area. Do all houses in the area have tiny gardens? Are there streets where spacious houses have bigger gardens that you can afford?

Preciousbane Sat 15-Mar-14 20:18:17

My list is
Big garden not overlooked
At least 2 bathrooms
Decent size hall
Lots of storage
Kitchen diner
Not on a busy road
All or some original features left intact
Off road parking
Garage, preferably double
Some decent frontage to the house

We are struggling as the nicest houses in our town are on two main roads and there is no way we would live on them as very busy.

We had a house that ticked all boxes recently and sale was proceeding but the survey was awful, the search has been going on for 7 months now.

Against all my instincts we went to look at a new development on the edge of a village 15 minutes from where we live. The houses are lovely and tick everything. The main bedroom had a good size ensuite and a walk in wardrobe. The gardens were bigger than the usual new builds but still not as big as we want.

Ranting generally about small bloody gardens in the car on the way back, DH told me to calm down your like a woman possessed.

MrsJohnDeere Sat 15-Mar-14 21:08:01

When we moved recently we shortlisted 4 houses, and bought 1 of them.

Rejected the others because :

Too remote - would spend half our life transporting children around the country once they were teenagers.
Not detached (even though the EA's particulars said they were)
Poor schools (secondary more than primary)
Layout didn't work for us - wanted playroom to be as far away as possible from sitting room, not adjacent.
Kitchen too small with no potential to expand.

foxdongle Sat 15-Mar-14 23:02:01

deal breakers in the past were;
not enough off road parking,
area too far away to walk to schools and town centre,
too much work to do,
garden too huge/too neglected/overlooked,
away from dog walks/parks,
electric station thing behind garden fence,
teeny bedrooms 3 and 4,
big but weird shaped kitchen- just didn't work.

Thumbwitch Sun 16-Mar-14 04:22:45

echt - yes, we back onto bushland so snakes are a distinct possibility. We've found a baby red bellied black snake in the yard (dead though, might have been dropped by a kookaburra) and seen a live one about 100m up the road while we were collecting firewood. They don't worry me as much as the brown snakes, which are also in the area, but we've not seen one yet. Local friends have had nests of them in their yards though!

Redbacks are an issue, for sure - we have to hose the play equipment out regularly because of them, and the boys aren't allowed to touch the trees either in case of redbacks or funnelwebs. Bloody things! I don't let them play in the leaf litter at all, but didn't know that redbacks hung out there too - thanks for the heads up!

LottieJenkins Sun 16-Mar-14 04:44:36

Flibbertyjibbet I am with you on shared access. We looked at a wonderful house off a quiet road, near a pub and with beams etc but it had a shared access drive with the next door property and dh's best friend who was a surveyor told us not to touch it with a barge pole for that reason! sad

echt Sun 16-Mar-14 05:18:02

Thumbwitch your snakey tales got me on the interweb thingy where I unearthed this priceless gem about brown snakes: "Not every brown snake is brown and not every snake that is brown is a brown snake".

Glad that's cleared up then.grin

GhettoPrincess001 Sun 16-Mar-14 05:36:33

I agree with most of the deal breakers. My husband will have nothing to do with shared access - I don't blame him.

He doesn't like kitchen diners either. No matter.

I didn't want to live to near a school or a park. We currently live on the next street from a school but it's the town's posh boarding school.

I like the layout of our house as it has an upstairs where the bedrooms are. My only query was the lounge diner but no house is perfect.

It's also got a utility room to make up for a small kitchen. Unfortunately, that's where the back door is i.e. the kitchen does not have a back door but two internal doors to other rooms in the house.

The things that I can live with on purchasing a house are the things that I cite as reasons to move !

MeMySonAndI Sun 16-Mar-14 05:56:10

My deal breakers are a fish and chips nearby, a galley kitchen and... Long rooms. It is well proportioned square rooms or else blush.

A must for me is the area, it is what really creates the "lifestyle".

LtEveDallas Sun 16-Mar-14 06:31:00

Our 'must haves' changed once we started seriously looking. I had been looking at 4 beds because we wanted 3 doubles (us, DD, DSD) and I wanted a separate dining room. DH said garage and off street parking, but wasn't that fussed about the house. Oh and we both wanted detached.

It turned out that the absolute must haves for us were off street parking, a downstairs loo and a futility room. We were stuck between two houses, really stuck (I had a thread), one was beautiful but had no downstairs loo or futility, the other had both but was directly on an estate road with a tiny garden. On the day we went to visit both again we added a 3rd house simply as 'filler' between the two.

Filler house had 2 doubles and a single, downstairs loo and futility, sep dining room, was a semi, had a stunning kitchen diner and ugly living room.

We ended up offering on the 'filler' - the sep dining room will be used as DD's play/mates room with a sofa bed for DSD and the single bedroom will be our 'dressing room'. It's bigger than the pretty house, smaller than the estate house but suits us perfectly

Thumbwitch Sun 16-Mar-14 07:15:08

echt - whaaaaaaat?? grin

yegodsandlittlefishes Sun 16-Mar-14 07:34:50

OP, at the stage you are at, we went without a garage, had just one (horrible) bathroom (with no shower) with old fashioned decor minimal storage space, tiny kitchen and a very small third bedroom. On the plus side we had a fabulous garden, in a good area (good schools, lots of families, near village centre shops, lots for children to do) lovely outlook, quiet road, and green out front for children to meet and play, and would be able to make a quick sale as in a very sought after area.

I was disappointed at not being able to afford what I wanted when we moved to the area, so we went for something which would be a fun place to live while looking ahead at being able to afford the next place with more room, garage, en suite and downstairs loo, bit of futility, off street parking and private garden.

hyperspacebug Sun 16-Mar-14 08:29:23

We've walked away from gorgeous and spacious houses for being in wrong street. So we limited our search to only streets we wanted. Those streets had all same Edwardian houses, well-proportioned, 97sqm without loft with rooms for extension.

We have written off other nice streets because they contained long narrow Victorian houses.

We had an unforeseen deal breaker on a good doer-upper - single access road to LOTS of houses, and on the way out you have to turn right onto the main road for our routes to school and work. Just didn't appreciate it on maps but it was so obvious in reality.

mannbookeriwish Sun 16-Mar-14 09:07:22

Hah! Well for us, it was the current owner deciding (after offer made & accepted) that she would only proceed if she could add a covenant to allow her to live the rest of her in the house...reader, we ran like the wind, I mean, walked away

mrsddoodle Sun 16-Mar-14 10:34:34

We realised the importance of location. We made the expensive mistake of buying a beautiful house in somewhere that was too isolated, with poor transport links, and an older aged community. It was a disaster for us but would have been perfect for someone else.

Things that bothered me before like 3 storeys or a small garden are not as important now we are within a location that suits our family.

I guess everyone has different priorities - a deal breaker for one family would be different for another.

I think there is generally some compromise that has to be made with all houses, unless you have an unlimited budget or are very lucky.

mannbookeriwish Sun 16-Mar-14 10:34:36

rest of her LIFE...

cupcake78 Sun 16-Mar-14 16:39:46

Overlooked garden, lack of light, poor parking options, small living room, galley kitchen, small garden.

I need light and space.

MeMySonAndI Sun 16-Mar-14 16:49:16

What??? 'anbookeriwish that's hilarious! You need to expand on that! smile

Blu Sun 16-Mar-14 18:10:24

The bathroom downstairs.

No I cannot be dashing through a muddle of DS's 12 yo friends or DP's guests with a towel round me if I need to shower before going out...

MeMySonAndI Sun 16-Mar-14 18:56:15

I couldn't be dashing down in the night either, I'm sure I would kill myself going downstairs in a hurry half ssleep.

Now, tgat reminds me of a 2 bedroom house I saw, nice house, with a single bathroom/toilet: an ensuite.

How does that work???

LottieJenkins Sun 16-Mar-14 19:15:01

Make sure the fusebox is in the house!!! Mine is in the garage. I have to keep a torch by the bed in case they blow in the night. I have to go down two flights of stairs, through the hall, through the dining room and kitchen and find the key then go down the courtyard and unlock the garage door....... I then in the dark whilst holding the torch have to reach three feet above me and hold the lid of the fusebox up and push the trip back up!!!! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now