Kitchen Advice, Howdens Quote in, is it reasonable?

(32 Posts)
Reese123 Thu 13-Mar-14 22:28:25

Hi Mumsnet,
I have got a quote from Howdens - which includes 5 cupboards (2 pan cupboards), 2 corner units, a food larder cupboard, integrated fridge freezer, integrated oven and hob and sink.
The quote has come in at £5.9k?

The kitchen is fairly small - I just wanted to get some advice whether you think this is a reasonable quote. Or, if you think there is any way I can reduce the price? I don't have an itemised list.

my-kitchen.howdens.com/plan/zbC3119700001mmk/

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you sincerely for your time.

Mrsladybirdface Thu 13-Mar-14 22:37:11

I think it would depend on the appliances, an oven can cost anywhere from $200 - $1000.

We've just purchased an Ikea kitchen with 14 units, their "top of the range" appliances for 3800.

GillTheGiraffe Thu 13-Mar-14 22:43:18

I think it's way too much but it will be the integrated appliances that are maing the cost so high. I sourced my appliances independently on the internet and did not get them from the kitchen suppliers.

kerala Thu 13-Mar-14 22:44:08

Large kitchen howdens quoted £12k just bought from ikea for £7k

Reese123 Thu 13-Mar-14 23:00:47

The appliances (oven, sink and fridge freezer) are actually only £782 as the builder has told me he can source the electrical items cheaper (though dont think so). Though I think £782 for an integrated fridge freezer, gas hob, electric oven and double sunk is a good price.

Thanks for any advice given.

Reese123 Thu 13-Mar-14 23:01:44

Sink not sunk. Sorry

superlambanana Thu 13-Mar-14 23:14:53

We've just paid £4.5k for more than that from B&Q. They even beat ikea on price which amazed me!!

GillTheGiraffe Thu 13-Mar-14 23:26:14

That makes Howden's seem even more expensive.

I gave up on Howdens. I like to see itemised lists so I can make comparisons and decide whether I'm getting a good deal. That's impossible with Howdens.

superram Fri 14-Mar-14 19:32:20

Howdens quoted £2.4k for similar to ikea units that cost £800-for utility so no appliances but even with £200 extra for labour costs of assembling units a no brainer!

superram Fri 14-Mar-14 19:33:49

Friends have a wren kitchen which was less than howdens. If you go to their showroom please let me know if they stand in the drawers-I found it amusing!

SquidgyMummy Fri 14-Mar-14 19:44:21

Howdens give Trade up to a 75% discount. (I used to buy from them; ask your builder if he can get a trade discount for you.)

All kitchens are hugely marked up; (I used to work in interior design.)
We live in France now, so not up to date with UK stores / prices but we bought a flat pack kitchen (4m run of top and bottom units) for under 1,500 euros plus not more than 600 euros on oven, hob & extractor

SquidgyMummy Fri 14-Mar-14 19:46:32

That was here, last summer, to give you an idea of how inexpensive a kitchen can be. Key is getting a good kitchen fitter / joiner. Also try not to buy all the architraves, plinths, end panels, that bumps up the cost hugely; get them made for you and stained / painted to match

17leftfeet Fri 14-Mar-14 19:52:13

Regardless of price, is there only 60cm between the front of the fridge and the breakfast bar?

Is this the only plan you've had done?

ProfessionalProcrastinator Fri 14-Mar-14 19:56:46

Ikea all the way. Howdens are overpriced.

Reese123 Fri 14-Mar-14 22:11:59

I have managed to get £1k off the price by getting a bigger trade discount and changing some of the items. So it's a bit more reasonable now but if anyone has any ideas about the design/layout that would be great.

Thanks

Reese123 Fri 14-Mar-14 22:13:42

This is the only plan I have had done, and yes will need to change it as the gap between the fridge/freezer and breakfast bar if it is only 60cm.

GillTheGiraffe Fri 14-Mar-14 22:53:43

I laughed when I saw the design Howden's had done for me. sad I would not have thought it possible to have come up with such an unbalanced ugly design.

Chimchar Sat 15-Mar-14 08:18:49

I managed to get my Howdens kitchen (units only) to within my budget by negotiating with the sales guy. The original quote was for about 7k. I paid just 3k. It took time, but they did it in the end.

Get some more ideas for layout from other places too.

Sunnyshores Sat 15-Mar-14 15:13:05

The integrated appliance price from Howdens does seem reasonable. But the units sound expensive, unless you've gone for something more than standard base/wall units?

Howdens really arent kitchen designers, they just fit any old units on your space and you're done. Go to another company for a different/better design if nothing else.

DottyDot Sat 15-Mar-14 15:25:58

I think that's fairly expensive. Your kitchen looks a similar size and layout to ours - we got stuff from Magnet trade and it was under £2k in total and included a pull out cupboard (well, actually 2 - we could only afford one but they delivered 2 instead of 1 and an ordinary cupboard unit. Ahem.) which is brilliant for storage.

Badvoc Sat 15-Mar-14 15:26:52

Sounds a lot to me tbh.

nbee84 Sat 15-Mar-14 20:14:20

I've just had some units from Howdens - I didn't need any appliances as it's an extension onto the original kitchen and I've also sourced worktops elsewhere.

I got 2 x extra tall larder units, 2 x extra tall glass fronted wall units, 2 x 1000mm drawer line base units, a plinth heater + cornice, pelmets & plinths for just under 1.8k. I have however gone for the Greenwich shaker doors which are a price band down from the Burford ones.

I thought the quote would go to my builder but it came directly to me and was all itemised and showed the trade discount which was 70% on some and 80% on others.

I had a quote from Homebase for the same and it came in at 2.7k.

I'm speechless !!! ( at the 'plan' )

Reese123 Tue 18-Mar-14 13:29:03

I know it's not great, but would happily take feedback from anyone.

poorbuthappy Tue 18-Mar-14 13:33:00

I don't think there's anything wrong with the plan as such, but please take the time (and the plan) to go to Ikea, B&Q and possibly Wren, to see how much money you can save.

howdens are damn expensive, and in my experience not worth the money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now