Are furnitures and fittings included?

(17 Posts)
BrownSauceSandwich Thu 27-Feb-14 18:45:34

Totally agree with PP who pointed out that actually, photos with furniture in give a better idea of scale. And once again, there are generally people living in these houses... They are not going to empty rooms just for estate agent photos on the off chance that somebody wants to see it empty! confused

I wouldn't assume anything was included, except wallpaper (and probably the central heating... Daykin, that's hilarious!) if there's a fixture you especially want, it'd be a good idea to make clear that your offer is dependent on it staying at the time you make the offer. Nothing is written in stone until vendor and buyer have approved e particulars of sale and exchanged contracts. We've had people take carpets and a fireplace.

MaryShelley Thu 27-Feb-14 18:21:17

Are you selling all your worldly possessions with your home? Seriously, think logically about it!

LIZS Thu 27-Feb-14 17:43:17

No but many things might be open to negotiation ie curtains and blinds which have been made to measure.

kazzawazzawoo Thu 27-Feb-14 17:39:37

But what do you propose people do with their furniture whilst they are still living in the property? Of course it's in the photos, they have to sit and sleep somewhere!

eurochick Thu 27-Feb-14 15:00:19

As others have said, generally things fixed to the walls and floors will stay (shelves, carpets, curtain rails) and other things will go. But that is only a general rule. As part of the sale process now, you are asked to fill in a form to specify what is staying, so if you pursue the purchase, you should get that.

If it is a newbuild that has been "dressed" for sale, you might be able to buy some or all of what is there. If it is lived in, the people there are probably quite attached to their beds, sofas, etc and will take them with them!

UriGeller Thu 27-Feb-14 14:58:34

I get you. I'm sick of seeing photos on rightmove of people's beds, nicely laid out dining tables with silverware and crockery (wtf?! Who does that?). I want good clear photos showing oom dimensions. Not other people's furniture.

The pictures show furniture because many people find it difficult judging the size of empty rooms and imagining their own stuff there. Easier to swap the double bed in the picture / at the viewing for your own king-size bed in your imaginations. Plus, of course, until they sell the house and move out, of course their furniture is going to be in the picture!

As PP have said, if it isn't attached to the house itself, it's probably not included. Even if it is attached, the legal paperwork might list it separately to explain that it isn't included in the sale.

beaglesaresweet Thu 27-Feb-14 14:43:41

heating, not 'hearing' grin

beaglesaresweet Thu 27-Feb-14 14:43:08

OP why would people leave their furniture in the old house?? would you do that? Some vendors who move abroad offer to sell furniture, but otherwise furniture is not part of the sale! they would need it in a new place, and they may have paid a lot to buy it, plus everyone has different tastes.

Obviously when you say 'interior designed' - all the wallpaper and fireplaces usually stay and the hearing system/some of the lighting, tiles in the bathroom. Build-in wardrobes/cupboards also usually stay. I can't see why is this a problem - the place will look as you see it on photos but filled with your own furniture.

fruitqueen Thu 27-Feb-14 14:17:27

Oh dear!So a really nice ID'ed up place will not look exactly that upon handing over???Then it would be much better if we see a property just empty and use our imagination what we could fill it with instead of being utterly disllusioned to turn up and find what we saw originally all taken away!!

Daykin Thu 27-Feb-14 12:26:37

I remember a bloke in my street taking the central heating system.

<disclaimer - it was getting on for 40yrs ago and I think it was considered odd even then>

I also know someone who 'didn't notice' that the kitchen wasn't fitted (or included) and turned up to find a kitchen sink and not much else.

SavoyCabbage Thu 27-Feb-14 12:23:30

No, the opposite in fact. You assume that they are not included.

PastaandCheese Thu 27-Feb-14 12:14:04

Personally I would always specify as part of your offer that fitted carpets are to be included just in case. I once assumed this and the vendor then tried to charge me an extra £1,000 for their old fitted carpets. shock

kazzawazzawoo Thu 27-Feb-14 11:08:03

No. I would presume that everything will be removed when the vendor moves our, except usually the fitted carpets.

Quinandthem Thu 27-Feb-14 11:07:14

Our solicitor told us to presume that anything not fitted/fixed to the house was not included in sale. He actually said image you turn the house upside down and only the things that remain are presumed included.

But my brother has managed to include some furniture in his offer on a house he's buying. This is manly due to sellers down sizing.

I have heard on here about people taking curtain poles, bulbs, plants from garden etc

Obviously the fixtures and fittings part of the paperwork will detail everything included.

Always confirm in writing

Lagoonablue Thu 27-Feb-14 11:06:39

No

fruitqueen Thu 27-Feb-14 11:00:41

Is it safe to assume that all furnitures and fittings that we see in the photographs on property websites are included in the sale price ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now