Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Would you buy a house that has no parking?

(115 Posts)
CheeryCherry Thu 27-Feb-14 07:59:27

Its a stunning grade 2 listed house. No parking anywhere near. I think that is the main problem they are having with selling.
We currently have a drive and parking on street for 2 more cars. We have 2 cars.
DH not happy with parking issue. I don't care as I love the house blush

Methe Fri 28-Feb-14 21:06:57

No way. I thought of trekking god knows how far to my car in the morning before I drive to work is awful. I like stagger out of my house with my cup of tea in my hand and walk the 3 steps to the car door.

Devora Fri 28-Feb-14 21:10:31

Yes, I would but then I don't have a car (another Londoner here). In fact, I have off-street parking - a drive that is always empty grin. I do kind of fall behind minipie on this one - I can see how useful a car is (especially outside London) but people do seem to get very addicted to having it right on their doorstep. Me, my kids and our shopping seem to cope very well with walking for ten minutes before we get the option of transport.

Wingdingdong Fri 28-Feb-14 21:23:28

We're in London. On-street residents' parking.

We can usually get a space in our street, and more than 50% of the time outside our own house (though this definitely depends on timing and I'm a SAHM at the moment - we wouldn't get a space within 3 streets if DH used the car to commute). However, we have noticed that the parking situation is a LOT worse than it used to be, we moved here in the 90s, we didn't have a car and neither did most of our neighbours. Now it's all young families and everyone has at least one car if not two. The local authority has allowed development on every possible site (so pubs and, er, car parks being turned into 6-apartment blocks, each apartment with a family and car...) so there are far more cars and far fewer spaces.

We wouldn't buy somewhere without parking again (assuming we move out of London - no way can we afford a driveway/garage in zone 1/2!), simply because of the risk of nearby development without allocated parking spaces. There may be a dozen spaces available at the moment, but when the council allows developers to buy up four houses and build three new homes in each back garden, you're shafted.

Quangle Fri 28-Feb-14 22:14:23

I'm amazed too minipie. Obviously if you live some places you need it but my bit of central London and probably in most of central London you really don't - and wouldn't get it even if you really did need it. Not unless you have several million anyway. Lots of my neighbours don't have a car - congestion charge adds to the reasons not to have a car. I suppose I'm just surprised there aren't more Londoners on the thread although I completely accept the situation in London is very different.

As I mentioned, I do have a car but I toy with getting rid of it when the DCs are old enough so we can just use the various car clubs around here. Can't at the moment because they don't come with car seats but will make the switch when we don't need car seats. The car club cars are actually nearer than the residents' bay where I can park!

Quangle Fri 28-Feb-14 22:17:50

oh and meant to add, Camden is now stipulating that new developments that are put up - particularly at the high end - do not come with rights for residents to have a parking permit. So for those developments that do not have parking on site, you literally cannot have a car. Not unless you can find a private parking space for several thousand pounds a year.

Kikibee Fri 28-Feb-14 22:23:39

No, never again. Did it in our last house and it was a nightmare. I love our driveway smile

namechangeagaininnit Fri 28-Feb-14 23:39:03

I've lived in London forever and there's no way I would buy somewhere without parking.

CheeryCherry Tue 04-Mar-14 21:10:39

Just catching up on this!shock
The overall opinion is deafening!! grin
I have listened to every one of you. The issue still doesn't worry me, but I know it does bother DH a lot. Plus someone upthread mentioned the visitors and family being twitchy about parking away from the house, that would also apply to my family members.
The house is also not practical aside from being gorgeous so you have all done the job well grin
I have now spotted a house which is fine but too pricey...maybe I need a new thread about how cheeky is a really low offer smile

carlywurly Tue 04-Mar-14 21:19:57

No. I've lived in houses with and without, and every day now I appreciate coming home to my lovely wide drive way. With shopping, book bags etc it would be a nightmare to lug stuff streets away, and it would add time to my work journey each way.

Sil has no parking, she and bil regularly forget where they left their car smile

cafesociety Tue 04-Mar-14 22:05:32

No. The novelty of the lovely house will wear off after too many times of the [non] parking being an issue for you, visiting friends and tradespeople.

My son and dil had a gorgeous house without parking, in the end it got to them and they sold up.

stuckindamiddle Tue 04-Mar-14 22:42:18

Never!

Teeb Tue 04-Mar-14 23:37:04

Ooh if you've decided againkst it, can we have a nose at the lovely listed place please?

CelticPromise Wed 05-Mar-14 12:57:10

We're still buying ours. <stubborn> I parked right outside it this morning, it'll be fiiiiine.

MrsJohnDeere Wed 05-Mar-14 13:10:48

No. Been there, done that....

Apart from being a PITA it makes selling much harder.

Wuxiapian Wed 05-Mar-14 13:16:27

No. We wouldn't hear of buying a house without parking - it makes life just that little bit easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now