Why are so many houses so similar?

(368 Posts)
PoorOldCat Sat 22-Feb-14 08:14:42

I get updates from rightmove every day and I think about 90% of the houses have really similar interiors.

Everyone seems to have laminate floor, brown leather sofas, the ubiquitous 'feature wall' in some awful oversized floral pattern, steel and black framed things and huge tellys. And the kitchens and bathrooms all seem to be the P shaped shower bath and the varying shades of beige tiles.

I don't understand why, it's like looking at a display in B&Q over and over again. It's so ugly. But most of all it's so dull.

Do people like this stuff or is it just fashion, which no one really likes aside from the fact it makes your house look identical to other people's?

Finding a house to be proper nosey at, that has some sort of identity of its own is hard work.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to do or why it pisses me off so much, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone who does like their house this way...all the agents seem to say these are beautifully presented and will be very popular, so maybe it is just me who hates it, in which case, I'll take the flack smile

But why is it so popular to have your house like this? Because I just don't understand.

ithaka Thu 27-Feb-14 22:36:17

But that house hasn't been done up like that by the person because they like the style and want to live in it. It is done like that to rent to students. Really poor example to prove your point, I think.

IShouldBeDoingSomethingElse Thu 27-Feb-14 22:13:29

OP, don't miss Amanda Lamb, Tuesdays on more 4. whole series about making houses neutral for sale. enjoy! smile

VeryStressedMum Thu 27-Feb-14 15:25:55

The whole house is apricot. But he's done that for a student let, most people when they decorate tend not to make their houses look like that, unless of course they like that look.

JaneBabez2014 Thu 27-Feb-14 15:22:44

I didn't really look for a nicely decorated house, me and my husband just looked for a house that had the right amount of space and shapes of room, along with a good front and back garden. We mostly thought of how we could decorate it our selves, because like to decorate it to our own personal taste rather than trying to find a house that is already to our taste (which would take far too long as everyone has different tastes).

noddyholder Thu 27-Feb-14 11:53:24

Not everyone who renovates houses does a job like that!

sassytheFIRST Thu 27-Feb-14 10:34:59

Unusual bookcase in that one bedroom!

It's fine for students. Clean, practical - that will rent really easily. No character of course, but does what it says on the tin.

My house is a 70s job, we've just completed a major refurb and it's a bit barn like at the mo. Big rooms, massive windows (no curtains in some), needs more furniture etc.

Bunbaker Thu 27-Feb-14 10:34:54

The room with a shower doesn't have a loo though.

The details haven't been proof read as it states 4 bedroom in the features and 6 bedroom in the description.

Rooners Thu 27-Feb-14 10:30:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

i think that's ok for a student let, and tbh it's the sort of thing most students expect these days

that room with the half-stairs and the shower IN the bedroom is weird though - that's the LL squeezing as many people in as possible and being able to say all the rooms have en suites

Rooners Thu 27-Feb-14 10:28:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bunbaker Thu 27-Feb-14 10:23:18

It's all a bit beige and isn't to my taste either, but for student let it looks very practical. I can't understand why you are getting your knockers in a twist over that.

I don't think a student would really care that much about the internal decor as long as the place was warm, dry and clean (although I'm not sure some are even bothered about that grin).

I have been in some hideous student digs and that house is luxurious compared to most I have seen.

PoorOldCat Thu 27-Feb-14 10:20:24

By the way that was a 3 bed semi once upon a time. he's turned the living room into a vast fitted kitchen, and what the actual Jeff are the stairs doing going into the ceiling?

PoorOldCat Thu 27-Feb-14 10:17:07

I've often bought something temporary only to let it go later when i find something that's better made, or looks nicer etc.

Nothing wrong with Ikea anyway smile

When I think about it more, it isn't the people who don't have time, don't really care too much about decor, or don't have any choice that I am even talking about (though that may not have been clear, because it wasn't clear to me to begin with)

It's the people who HAVE got the funds, and the choice, and are going in there deliberately to 'improve' a house so they can sell it on for more money, often very quickly.

Often I think they just ruin it. There is a LOT of it round here as it's a vast student town and so buy to let has become almost the biggest use of homes locally. It's really sad.

I will try and find the link to my parents' old house which they sold on to a student landlord a few years back - they wouldn't have, but they had very little choice because he already owned houses all around them, and so no one else wanted to live there.

What he did to it is insane.

here you go

Bunbaker Thu 27-Feb-14 10:15:23

I love The Range. But I go there for the kitchen stuff and the arts and crafts. I never look at their home furnishings.

SteeleyeStan Thu 27-Feb-14 10:08:04

About the budget - I think at least some of it depends on your circumstances of getting the furniture, not just your basic level of income.

Back in the days of rented furnished student flats and similar, we had the "luxury" of picking out the odd nice (but cheap) piece from charity shops and second hand stores, basically whenever we happened to see something we really liked and could afford. It's a whole different situation if you're suddenly having to buy several major bits of furniture to your home. You won't be guaranteed to find the things you need used in a price and location that's convenient.

And that's how you end up with all these very common £10 Ikea bookshelves etc. just because you really needed a bookshelf quick and didn't have the time and money to hunt for a more individual piece.

PoorOldCat Thu 27-Feb-14 09:59:36

Low incomes? How is it about that?

I'm on a pretty low income. Just so you know.

The people doing up these houses (often in a short space of time, it appears, in order to sell on for a profit) are probably far better off than me.

The Range is for people in my income bracket I imagine but it doesn't mean I have to buy their awful tat.

Bunbaker Wed 26-Feb-14 23:37:12

It's pretty round here as well, so plenty of scope for local artists.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Wed 26-Feb-14 23:31:04

That sounds lovely smile Webber not got artistic family but we live in a pretty part of the world so there is local work about. It's still 50 (+) quid we don't have (yet). We often window shop.

Bunbaker Wed 26-Feb-14 23:23:05

My original paintings aren't exactly upmarket though. Just by local artists and a couple of artistic family members.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Wed 26-Feb-14 23:15:42

Oh I'd love original paintings!

It just feels sneery at low income. Ive a m/c background and taste but not at all the reality.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Wed 26-Feb-14 23:14:13

Well shops sell that kind of thing. If I was currently to update I'd probably go to wilkos, range etc as that's my current price bracket, so I'm limited by what they sell.
In my head I have a large roomy house,, room for inherited furniture and money to experiment withauction buys.

In reality older stuff looks wrong and cramped and even grungy and dirty in a tiny modern host.

My aspirations and reality don't match. I'd love to travel and bring back nick nacks etc.

Bunbaker Wed 26-Feb-14 23:11:57

I wish you would stop banging on about people with no imagination. It comes across as very sneery.

I don't have much imagination when it comes to creating a home. I just can't think that way. I can't envisage how a room would look when "dressed".

That said, my house doesn't have any beige, brown, magnolia or mass produced prints. Each room is a different colour. The "extras" in my house are paintings (original), photos and books. My house doesn't look "put together", but quite frankly I would rather spend more time in the kitchen knocking a delicious meal together than spend hours designing my living room.

oldboiler Wed 26-Feb-14 23:04:53

It's not just the magnolia walls and laminate floor blandness that bothers me. Its the naff mass produced accessories that seem to be 'uniform' that people with no imagination seem to think makes a house a home. All this wicker heart crap and signs with cheesy sayings on. Then theres those awful canvas pictures with flowers on, floral metalic feature walls, and don't even get me started on those picture frames that say things like 'love' and 'family'. Do people really like these things or are they made to think they should because the shops are full of them?

IShouldBeDoingSomethingElse Wed 26-Feb-14 20:54:28

ithacka good post. i hope you get to use it again. seriously.

I think the OP got the roasting that was exactly proportionate to what she deserved! I didn't care either way but Londongirl83 summed it up perfectly. My house was 70s and ugly when I moved in so any DIY I've done has been to neutralise. I prefer it now.

VeryStressedMum Wed 26-Feb-14 19:02:28

PoorOldCat we'd walk into each other's houses and think it was crap but we'd be far too polite to say anything, we'd just say ooh isn't this luvverly grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now