Relocating to another part of UK- anyone done it?

(34 Posts)
cheekymonk Tue 18-Feb-14 19:25:57

Hi All,
DH and I have ummed and ahhed about relocating for ages and we have made the decision to move from our current area (Portsmouth) to maybe Worcester or surrounding area. We have 9 year old ds and 3 year old dd. Portsmouth is all the kids have ever known and I am very worried about uprooting them but dh and I are very unhappy here. We both have good jobs. I am with DWP and can transfer as far as i am aware but he needs to get new job. There are plenty of engineering jobs it would seem so I think that will be ok. We plan to sell our house and rent in new area, saving the equity from this house ready for new one. We've had debt probs so it also gives chance for our credit file to repair and solves our problem of too small house that we live in now as it is only 2 bed and we are well aware that kids can't share from Jan next year as ds will be 10. We want to move nearer our families so that on a Saturday ds can go to my Mums for the afternoon or evening rather than the 3 hour journey it is now. I think family is so important and I think the kids would really benefit from being closer. Its all so scary though, literally packing up and starting a new life somewhere else and the order in which to do things is mindblowing!!!! Any thoughts/advice??

invicta Sun 23-Feb-14 15:56:59

We moved 80 miles when dcs 8 and 6. It is a little scary, but also exciting. Five years down the line, we're happy and settled. Children adapt and soon make new friends.

cheekymonk Sun 23-Feb-14 20:47:43

On Leominster was thinking droit which possibly or Shrewsbury direction too...

cheekymonk Sun 23-Feb-14 20:48:25

Yes Ross is nice don't really know Monmouth

I love Worcester! prefer it to Ross I must say. although I like all the market towns of Herefordshire and worcs.

move up here; its great!

we moved, but not far - from birmingham to Bromsgrove but before that I moved from Wales to Hereford to Worcester to Birmingham. all good. living here for a while now I hope grin.

CelticPromise Mon 24-Feb-14 08:07:55

We have just moved from outer London to Wales. It's not all plain sailing but it's definitely the right decision for us.

cheekymonk Tue 25-Feb-14 22:20:32

Worcs is cheaper than Pompey from what I can seesmile

cheekymonk Mon 03-Mar-14 19:47:12

Oooh just had a phone call for dh re job in new area! He has spoken to them at length and we have said he would move to new area and rent then we follow as need to sell house sort schools etc if need be. It's all mindblowing really but I so have a slip on my step about it allgrin thanks again for all your input

stuckindamiddle Tue 04-Mar-14 22:52:56

Celtic - we recently moved from south London to Cardiff. Where in Wales are you?

CelticPromise Wed 05-Mar-14 12:58:34

We're in Gower near where DH grew up. It's glorious smile

How are you finding Cardiff?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now