Eye level or under counter oven?

(15 Posts)
superlambanana Sun 09-Feb-14 10:32:56

Have always had an under counter integrated oven with a hob on top, but as we're redoing the kitchen I'm looking at options. Any thoughts as to which is better? We'll have a separate gas burner hob in either case. We have a dog, and a baby on the way if that makes any difference, and I have a few back issues so ease of taking heavy things out is also important!

SoulJacker Sun 09-Feb-14 10:46:09

In an ideal world I would have an eye level oven but our layout didn't allow it without compromising on other areas which I felt were more important so we've stuck with an undercounter oven.

magimedi Sun 09-Feb-14 11:06:59

When I had an eye level over I burnt my upper arms several times on the shelves when taking stuff out. I prefer under counter overall.

AuntieStella Sun 09-Feb-14 11:09:53

I prefer under counter. It is rare that people fumble when getting stuff out of the oven, by if I happens, there's a lot more of your body that could be burned if the oven is higher up.

ivykaty44 Sun 09-Feb-14 11:10:22

I guess it depends on your height and whether you have a side hinged door

chickabilla Sun 09-Feb-14 11:10:28

We have eye level one, which I prefer as there is less chance of the children burning themselves. It has been fine for getting things in and out, easier than our old undercounter oven.

ScentedScandal Sun 09-Feb-14 11:10:52

I love my eye level oven. I think it's safer too not crouching over and standing back up with hot dishes.

crazykat Sun 09-Feb-14 11:18:44

We've got a cooker so under counter level cooker. I'd love to have an eye level one (or two) as its much easier for baking, especially if they have a built in light inside. It would make my life a lot easier to have the oven higher like mil's as it would be out of the DCs reach and easier to use when my slipped disks are playing up. I'd love to get one but we rent so can't.

It also gives and extra cupboard under the hob for pans and under the oven for baking trays and casserole dishes.

Pinkje Sun 09-Feb-14 13:41:54

Do you grill often? If you do an eye level one is easier or so I've found. Less likely to forget about what you've put on.

superlambanana Sun 09-Feb-14 17:16:23

Hmm lots to consider. I'm 5'5" so average-ish. Hadn't thought about burning arms... Gah still can't decide!

kmdesign Sun 09-Feb-14 17:54:39

A good kitchen designer should adapt the oven housing to your height. An oven at eye level is more ergonomic and safer too.

georgedawes Sun 09-Feb-14 18:20:46

I prefer eye level too, you can see your food cooking without having to bend down.

HauntedNoddyCar Sun 09-Feb-14 21:32:13

We've just got an eye level oven. It's a revelation.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 09-Feb-14 22:28:54

Much prefer eye level. I used to have one, but then moved to a house with a traditional under counter one and I hate it. Can't open the door without issuing menacing threats at circulating small children not to come near and it always feels like an accident waiting to happen.

17leftfeet Sun 09-Feb-14 22:36:09

I'm 6ft tall and have a bad back

I burnt myself more on the low level oven as I couldn't really see what I was doing

I love my eye level oven and it could have been fitted at 2 different heights in the unit it's in -I went for the higher option

Much easier to clean too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now