Anyone layed plywood planks?

(5 Posts)
PartyConfused Thu 30-Jan-14 11:31:30

It was actually a thread on here that first bought this to my attention. It looks too good to be true. Has anyone actually done it? Does it look as good as the pictures suggest? And how difficult is it?
Really trying to convince dh!
link

PigletJohn Thu 30-Jan-14 18:26:11

"Engineered flooring" is plywood, and is made with T&G which gives a tight fit and stops draughts, and a fancy thick top layer.

I have used ply sheet floors. I don't see that the cost and effort of cutting sheets into strips makes it worthwhile.

I'd say you would need 25mm WBP ply with a fair hardwood face. I don't think it will be as rigid as sheets or even T&G.

PartyConfused Thu 30-Jan-14 19:50:50

Thanks, pigletjohn.
I didn't know engineered wood was ply.
It would be over floorboards if that makes a difference? I guess they would have to be laid perpendicular to the floorboards?
From the accounts of people who have done this online, they have got the diy store to cut them for them. I certainly wouldn't attempt it myself. Was thinking of a cheap flooring for the hallway?

PigletJohn Thu 30-Jan-14 20:34:31

if you are putting it on top of a proper floor, as an ornament, you can use thinner.

if you have time and patience rather than money, you can stripe ply sheets with wood dye (like colron) and apply matt or satin varnish (like Diamond) to give a planked effect.

however the top layer on ply is much thinner than on engineered flooring, so once it starts to wear, it will break up and can't be resanded. However it does enable you to get a flat and smooth surface quite easily.

PartyConfused Thu 30-Jan-14 21:11:32

Very helpful, thank you. Hadn't considered striping the planks! I need to replace flooring cheaply but that will last a year and look decent for when we try and sell. I may give this a go in our rather small hallway and see how it goes. I suppose with a tough vanish it will last a bit longer?
The pictures on the link above look fantastic. If it looks half as good as that I'll be very happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now