If you were looking to buy a 2 up 2 down terrace

(9 Posts)
AlmostMrsRobinson Wed 29-Jan-14 22:58:47

Whereisshe funny you should mention artex, we have reskimmed almost all of downstairs due to some of the most shocking artex you have ever seen!

AlmostMrsRobinson Wed 29-Jan-14 22:56:58

Thanks tiny. We have all magnolia planned with white ceilings/woodwork etc. We do have plans to paint the alcoves downstairs a darker nutural colour and one wall in the master bedroom to match the carpets.

Not sure if it will help or hinder tho.

whereisshe Wed 29-Jan-14 22:53:04

Nothing visually offensive for the major installed things (kitchen, bathroom, windows, lighting etc), just neutral and high quality that will last.

Nothing difficult to redecorate (artex, wood chip wallpaper etc).

No cheap DIY.

Well-maintained electrics and heating. If it's an older terrace I'd look for a new-ish boiler so I knew the radiators and pipes etc weren't too elderly.

Established bones of a garden (just trees / shrubs, the rest can be dealt with more easily).

AlmostMrsRobinson Wed 29-Jan-14 22:52:50

Thanks Briony. There is only a yard (its clean etc) but its small. Thats one of the things im worried might go against us when selling.

Will be very uncluttered as will be unfurnished, this worries me too. Not sure if everyone can imagine how their furniture will fit.

TinyDiamond Wed 29-Jan-14 22:49:15

Total blank canvas. When we buy this is what we'd want. Do not do anything risky as it is a total waste of money if it is not to someone else's taste. You may have a higher valuation as a result of some work but you may isolate buyers if they hate what you'd done.
I would never buy a house with new kitchen that I didn't like as I could not deal with the wastefulness of ripping it out.
If you're in my city just a clean,neautral property WOULD be something different judging by the shitholes we've viewed.
Save your creativity for somewhere you can enjoy it.

AlmostMrsRobinson Wed 29-Jan-14 22:48:55

Thanks Savoy, the bathroom is (or at least will be) very clean but its tiled floor to ceiling with cream tiles. Will have new flooring and all woodwork etc will be white.

Im glad what you said about the kitchen, we have put in new worktops and handles but kept the doors and carcasses (sp). New tiles on floor and above sink etc.

Its our first buy to sell property so I want to get it right.

Briony32 Wed 29-Jan-14 22:47:41

pretty, well maintained garden
walls painted white
shed for storage
upstairs bathroom (though not a quick fix!)
some storage, eg: understairs cupboard, built in alcove shelves/wardrobes, space to keep a hoover and brooms
off street parking
uncluttered and clean

SavoyCabbage Wed 29-Jan-14 22:41:44

I would want a clean white bathroom and a kitchen I could use for a couple of years before replacing.

AlmostMrsRobinson Wed 29-Jan-14 22:33:53

What type of things would you look for?

Would you prefer a blank canvas or something a bit more interesting?

We have bought and are looking to sell, so far we have changed the boiler to a combi, had the electrics looked at and the consumer unit upgraded and cleaned and are in the process of painting. Any tips to give a 2 up 2 down a bit of an edge over the 100s of others in this town.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now