Best way to present a tiny awkward shaped bedroom

(31 Posts)
JimDavidsonsJokes Wed 29-Jan-14 20:22:15

We are about to put a one bedroom flat on the market and are going to put some furniture in to try to present it at its best. I think its so small that it actually looks even smaller when empty if that makes sense! It's hard to describe but due to it's size and two awkwardly positioned structural piers there needs to be a compromise in the layout. We have a double bed and a tiny double wardrobe, two bedside tables and a chest of drawers. Would it be be best to..

a) have the double bed against the wall so it can only be accessed one side but plenty of room to access the wardrobe.
b) have the bed centrally positioned with bedside tables either side and put the wardrobe in front of one of the two windows (halving the light but the light would be 'adequate')
C) put the wardrobe in the comparatively large lounge as if it's a cupboard leaving the bedroom as light and spacious as possible.

In other words what would you hate more, climbing over your partner to get into bed, having a window hidden by a wardrobe or having to go into your lounge to choose an outfit every morning?

Please help!

Parietal Wed 29-Jan-14 20:30:42

option c

addictedtosugar Wed 29-Jan-14 20:38:46

c)

or D) store the clothes somewhere else and get rid of the wardrobe ?? Or find a (very cheep) wardrobe that will give limited hanging space and fit in the room?

If you got rid of the drawers, would there be space for the wardrobe?

Please don't block the window.

Avienus Wed 29-Jan-14 20:39:29

Option A.

Reduction Wed 29-Jan-14 20:54:41

C

7to25 Wed 29-Jan-14 21:03:35

D) just get rid of the wardrobe

JimDavidsonsJokes Wed 29-Jan-14 21:26:00

I was thinking that it could put off potential buyers if there was no wardrobe and seemingly no space for a wardrobe ?

JimDavidsonsJokes Wed 29-Jan-14 21:29:11

No, addictedtosugar, the drawers are under one window so the only way of having a wardrobe in the room even a single one is to block a window or have the bed against the wall.

Busyoldfool Wed 29-Jan-14 21:29:33

A or C. My bed is against the wall and it has never been a problem. Wardrobe in front of window wd put me off.

TheGreatHunt Wed 29-Jan-14 21:30:03

Ditch the drawers?

iheartdusty Wed 29-Jan-14 21:31:43

what about a hanging rail?

with a few carefully chosen outfits on it?

ProfPlumSpeaking Wed 29-Jan-14 21:35:21

In show houses, they often use scaled down furniture, and never present any storage. They must know what they are doing so C) or D) - get rid of wardrobe or E) get rid of current furniture and replace with a 4ft wide, 5ft 10 long double bed and a miniature wardrobe

JimDavidsonsJokes Wed 29-Jan-14 21:47:16

Hanging rail!!!! I cannot believe I didn't think of this before. Iheartdusty you are a genius thanks

Thanks everyone, I was leaning towards blocking the window so I'm glad you all put me off that!!

Reduction Wed 29-Jan-14 21:49:37

Don't want to spoil things when you've got your solution but I'm not sure about a hanging rail. Would just draw attention to the fact that there's not room for a wardrobe. Better to have no wardrobe like Prof says IMO

mellicauli Wed 29-Jan-14 21:55:04

Could you get a double loft bed like this? Could free up some space..

RandomMess Wed 29-Jan-14 21:58:33

Ditch the wardrobe altogether, half the people won't even notice...

titchy Wed 29-Jan-14 21:59:12

Small double bed - 4ft rather than the standard 4'6'', bedside cabinet against wall if poss otherwise bed against wall. Ditch chest of drawers maybe?

JimDavidsonsJokes Wed 29-Jan-14 22:07:57

Hmmm decisions decisions..

Interesting loft bed mellicaulli but unfortunately the ceiling is too low.

enriquetheringbearinglizard Wed 29-Jan-14 22:44:57

Absolutely do not block the window on any account.
Use a 4' bed if possible.

I think leaving out a wardrobe or putting it in the living room will only draw people's attention to the fact that the room's too small for one.

I'd put up a really nice shelf with a hanging rail underneath and some low level baskets for shoes. Am sure you could sort something out and dress it accordingly.
That way you acknowledge it's a small room but you offer a solution at the same time.

JimDavidsonsJokes Thu 30-Jan-14 08:09:52

I think you're right enrique. The structural piers I described are either side of each window making each window a sort of alcove. I think a fixed hanging rail will turn the alcove into a sort of wardrobe without blocking the window above. Hadn't thought of the shelf idea but that would make it look much neater.

Thanks everyone!

ProfPlumSpeaking Thu 30-Jan-14 08:13:45

No, no, no to a hanging rail!! Will look cheap and tacky and draw attention to lack of space. Seriously. Big mistake. have you ever seen that in a show home? (answer: of course not).

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Thu 30-Jan-14 08:16:30

Can you post a picture?

You are quite right, some rooms just look better with furniture, as people cannot visualise how things could fit.

Follow every developers trick.

4ft divan (no frame taking up extra room) bed in middle of room. Never against a wall.

Ditch the bedside tables & instead have 2 large chests of drawers (on feet, this is important) for all clothes doubling as bedside tables as well.

Everything needs to be in feet so that floor under is visible. Makes the room look larger. Do not even consider storing anything is this space. Clear is good ;)

Repaint in light reflecting paint. Dulux light & space is good. Paint furniture in complementary pale shades. Paint supporting pillars out too, same colour as walls.

Is there any room behind the door? If so hang a pretty rail or hooks on the wall there, and display a couple of your finest dresses on wooden hangers. So, you show there is space for hanging, just ;)

Do not block any windows. Ever. Make sure the door opens fully. If you have to, rehang the door the other way.

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Thu 30-Jan-14 08:25:25

this show the sort of thing I'm trying to describe. This is clearly a child's one, but you can easily have something slightly larger mate for adult wooden coat hangers.

MummytoMog Thu 30-Jan-14 08:47:48

Ikea do a nice mirror at the moment that has hanging space behind it? Very clever.

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00217387/

ProfPlumSpeaking Thu 30-Jan-14 08:59:13

TheDrugs Spot on smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now