Rain coming in (after survey & exchange) - hoping prob is fixed?!

(5 Posts)
greenfolder Wed 29-Jan-14 23:14:13

How old is the flat roof and how did you fix it?

oscarwilde Wed 29-Jan-14 15:12:03

If it is fixed, then it's fixed. As your buyer I would want to see a cert from the repair people to guarantee the work though.

If you've repaired it yourself and had someone qualified check the work then if you are confident it will hold fine.

Morally, I would advise the buyer but I would check what you need to do with your solicitor if you have exchanged already. They need to be the people doing the advising, not you.

everlong Wed 29-Jan-14 13:44:52

I'm not sure legally where you stand.

Personally I couldn't leave my house knowing the roof was leaking into the house.

Would you want your sellers to do the same?

schmalex Wed 29-Jan-14 12:44:41

I thought that once you've exchanged, the buyer is liable. That's why you need to have buildings insurance on the house you're buying from exchange onwards. Even if the house burns down, you are still committed to buy it.
I am not a legal expert though.

LoopyLa Wed 29-Jan-14 10:20:39

Hi all

We sold our house & the buyers had a homebuyers survey done. After the survey, there was a bad rainstorm and some rain leaked into the house where the flat roof extension is. We have since put various fixes, got a builder friend to look it over etc and no more rain has come in since.

BUT what if it comes in after we complete OR on moving day itself? Are we liable at all? Can we expect any comeback from our buyers? We're so worried about this but have no idea what to do for the best - keep quiet or mention it to our solicitors? sad

What are your thoughts/experience's at all?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now