Anyone dry-lined an old house?

(8 Posts)
BNmum Wed 29-Jan-14 08:07:15

Due to move into an old sandstone house which is freezing. It needs some new windows but we're also debating whether to dry line the bedrooms.
Has anyone done this? Has it made any difference? Also, do you have to strip all the old wallpaper off before dry-lining?

Choccybaby Wed 29-Jan-14 16:26:03

We've internally insulated our house (is that what you mean?)
It needs to be several inches thick to have any real effect and your rooms will be left a little smaller. The plaster was removed from the external walls first and it didn't look like an easy DIY job to me. You also need to be careful about making ends of beams damper and prone to rot too I understand.
You can get wallpaper that's supposed to insulate but it's not very good in my experience.

BNmum Wed 29-Jan-14 17:55:17

Thanks choccy, I think we're talking about the same thing. Basically using insulated plaster board to improve heat retention in the room. Did you find it made a big difference?

We would be using experienced builders, I was just trying to estimate the time it would take and the mess it would make - both sound to be bigger and longer than I anticipated. We've another lo on the way so I'm trying to prioritise jobs and decide whether we go for quick lick of paint/makeover or push for a few larger jobs to be done initially, move in and then chip away at the others as and when.

specialsubject Wed 29-Jan-14 17:57:07

done it on one wall of a bedroom - the wall is old solid construction and was suffering condensation (but not damp). Not papered, just painted.

wall no longer has condensation!! There are two other external walls and we think we need more roof insulation so not noticeably warmer as yet, but definite progress.

room windows get condensation but that's much easier to wipe up.

Choccybaby Wed 29-Jan-14 18:27:46

We did it as part of a major rebuild/extension. Together with new floor and roof insulation, doors and windows it's made a major difference. We now have a house that's twice as big but cheaper to heat!
We did have to live with my parents for almost a year whilst it was being done though.

thetigerwhocametoteax Wed 29-Jan-14 20:28:32

We've done it in a few external walls in our old stone built house, to try and get some rooms warmer and also to stop damp coming through. It has made a big difference warmth wise and we are really pleased.

We've lived through all the work with a new baby and toddler and its been messy but manageable. We had all the old plaster knocked off before the wooden lats were laid (then insulated plasterboard. Don't forget that you will need new skirting boards, possibly new (deeper) windowsills and maybe electric sockets moving - we needed all these which added to cost but everything looks shiney and new. It took about 1.5 days for one chap to do each 4.5 m external wall - have old plaster knocked off, lats laid, boarded laid then plastered and cost about £450. HTH

OliviaBenson Wed 29-Jan-14 21:35:48

You need to be very careful that the work won't cause damp. Old buildings need to breathe and dry lining won't stop condensation, it will just collect elsewhere. SPAB have information of their website about insulating old houses.

BNmum Thu 30-Jan-14 18:05:08

Thanks for all the replies and I'll definately check out SPAB olivia.

Was it possible to save any skirting boards thetiger? Some rooms have lovely deep skirting that I'd like to hold on to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now