Help needed with kitchen design...

(41 Posts)
snailsontour Mon 27-Jan-14 10:08:30

Right, I have an empty room and I want to turn it in to an amazing working kitchen. The kitchen designers I've had in have failed to wow me as they've simply just regurgitated our architects plan, and I'm suffering from major indecision. Link to plan below.

Appliances to go in:
Samsung American FF
SMEG induction range (pyrolytic oven)
Strong Extract Fan
Dishwasher (quiet one)

We're a large contemporary and spacious 70’s bungalow, and the new kitchen will be in a southwest facing room that opens up on to the garden.

The room will be lovely and light with three roof lights and a wall of glass - with the possibly of opening up a new window dependant upon where the sink gets sited. The plan shows it in the peninsular, but I'm thinking the back wall may be a better option for it.

I want drawers as opposed to cabinets, I'd prefer an island rather than a peninsular, and that's about it.

I'm leaning towards a white gloss finish, but I'm worried that there may be too much reflection?? I don't want to have to wear sunglassessmile

Worktops probably granite, island/peninsular wooden, floor probably amtico...

I've read lots of the kitchen threads and picked up many hints and tips, but think I'm just in overload now.

Help...

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/8foetuwsikuotvm/7kDGZAPUYo

Added some more to sketch !
pinterest.com/pin/440930619739443087

Oh homehelp thank you!
That's my downstairs flooring sorted! I'm getting rid of the oak floor and been dithering over tiles.
I've not heard of that before, and it looks amazing!

Thanks!

Like your Howden's kitchen Snail!

Still envy at the island though. grin

HomeHelpMeGawd Tue 28-Jan-14 12:02:39

snails, based on what you've said, I'd be tempted to do more than have just a couple of easy chairs. I'd maybe go for some kind of L-shaped sofa plus easychair arrangement at the garden end of the room, with a coffee table. You have the space, after all.

I wonder about a two-part island, with one part being food prep / sink or hob and another lower part being a breakfast table (rather than a b'fast bar). Maybe parallel to the "east" wall, per OnePlan's sketch, but with the breakfast table coming out at a right angle or parallel to the "south" glazed doors?

Squirted, glad to help wink

MerryMarigold Tue 28-Jan-14 12:10:46

I like that sketch! It creates a better walk through and the eating area on the island is facing outside instead of backs to the outside. I still don't think sink on island is a good idea though!

The idea behind the sketch was to:
A. Get the cooker on an outside wall to vent efficiently (essential in a bungalow )
B. Give you plenty or prep space and storage
C. Allow anyone sitting at the bar to be able to see outside
D. Keep the design simple, therefor contemporary and timeless
... To that effect - I'd suggest these as possibilities ... Keep the sink/range/ FF wall as brick or stone. Have long open shelving on the wall above the sink area for plates /mugs and glasses.
Don't box in the fridge freeze (like on Howdens drawings ) it's a dated look - freestanding, as a statement, is much more contemporary.
A simple round table with Eiffel chairs would look great ! Simple shelving behind the comfy seats could house books or drinks (like a mini wine cellar ) .have three main lighting areas, 1 the comfy seating 2 the main kitchen area 3 the breakfast table.
And lastly I'd suggest putting the dishwasher to the left of the sink - so when it's open it doesn't impeded the walkway !

snailsontour Tue 28-Jan-14 14:06:23

I'm very impressed Houzz - I like your design a lot! Course the only problem now is the brickies have begun bricking up the window on the east wall right where you've put the seatssad

Thank you ! ( it's my passion ! And my profession!!)

That's a shame about the window - but a window sized mirror might work well too ?!

It will bounce the light about and create interest !

HomeHelpMeGawd Tue 28-Jan-14 15:46:38

OnePlan, I think it's perfectly possible to have a modern built-in fridge freezer. Depends on whether you want a statement or not. Same goes for taps -- you can get hidden hose styles and faux-pro styles. Personal taste and all that.

snails, can I heartily recommend a large zoneless flush fitting induction hob, if you can afford it? It is a complete and utter joy to cook with (and clean!). Ditto for a boiling hot water tap.

HomeHelpMeGawd Tue 28-Jan-14 15:46:39

OnePlan, I think it's perfectly possible to have a modern built-in fridge freezer. Depends on whether you want a statement or not. Same goes for taps -- you can get hidden hose styles and faux-pro styles. Personal taste and all that.

snails, can I heartily recommend a large zoneless flush fitting induction hob, if you can afford it? It is a complete and utter joy to cook with (and clean!). Ditto for a boiling hot water tap.

I feel I should point out that I too, am aware that people have their own personal taste . This is why I started that paragraph with 'To that effect- I'd suggest these as possibilities....' I was, in no way, being dictatorial, just offering suggestions inline with Snails on tour's original question. ( and I don't believe I mentioned taps, if that part was directed at me too homehelpmegawd ?!?!

snailsontour Wed 29-Jan-14 16:18:06

Your passion comes across Oneplan, and I love your way of using the space - and can I say I loved the corner larder idea you came up with for someone else's kitchen - pure genius I thought!

I'm happy to 'build' the ff in as the lader units each side will provide loads of storage I think.

Home, I'm going 'induction', but was thinking of a Range to keep down the number of high level units. I'm going to google your induction - what brand is yours?...
And providing the funds don't run out, I really fancy a boiling hot water tap.

thanks thanks ! #blushes !!!

MerryMarigold Thu 30-Jan-14 13:12:12

Personally wouldn't get built-in ff ever again (I did when we did kitchen couple of years ago ad I regret it). It doesn't function NEARLY as well as free-standing - which makes sense as the hot air created by keeping the fridge cold has nowhere to go so warms up fridge then the fridge then has to be made colder again, creating more enclosed heat etc. etc.

snailsontour Thu 30-Jan-14 20:18:52

Merry, looking down on the plans, whilst the ff is 'built in', the top bridging cupboard doesn't go all the way to the back of the ff so the hot air generated escapes up and away - so I'm told.

annalouiseh Thu 30-Jan-14 20:44:53

The fridge freezer house has no back for ventilation so even if your bridging unit is full depth there is plenty of space for the air

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now