corner sink in kitchen

(16 Posts)
superram Wed 29-Jan-14 20:25:50

I have my draining board in the corner and hadn't even realised until now. Am also considering a true corner sink. I probably can reach the corner but probably don't clean there much. I think it is a good idea.

DelightedIAm Tue 28-Jan-14 00:27:55

I have a sink with the drainer into the corner. It is a pain to reach to get the things at the far end and clean the drainer. I think corners are for microwaves.

unaltronome Mon 27-Jan-14 13:14:43

Thanks everyone. I like idea of placing it so the draining area sits in the corner rather than whole sink. In the designs with it under window in middle of short L bit the cupboard in the corner is half taken up with bottom of sink plumbing and bin. Seems better to take up whole of the under counter space with that stuff rather than half of it and try to use remaining space for other stuff. To be honest main concern is making more useful counter top space which the corner isn't. Will keep thinking...!

toomuchtooyoung Mon 27-Jan-14 12:46:39

sorry for hijacking your thread op blush
have you had any thoughts?

toomuchtooyoung Mon 27-Jan-14 11:08:15

just to be clear I'm thinking of a sink that's near the corner, not actually in the corner, with the drainer on the angle which is, imo, unusable for precious little else
gone are the days of staring wistfully into the garden whilst washing up.

We had one in the house we just sold. It had a double cupboard at an angle and a double sink in it. I hated it with a passion. Unless you are super tall it's impossible to reach into the corner, so that was always a bit of a mess. I had to kneel on the edge of the sink to wipe into the corner, and even Dh who is aa6 feet tall had a stretch to get to it. It was a total waste of space for us.

BackforGood Sun 26-Jan-14 23:24:50

IME, you need the sink in the middle of a section, not just to be aesthetically pleasing, but for the very practical reaon of you need to be able to have space on one side for the dirty things and space on the other for the clean things (draining board). If you "don't dry washing up" then surely it needs somewhere to sit and drain?

BrownSauceSandwich Sun 26-Jan-14 21:18:48

Used to have one, and it was a pain in the arse. Now we have the draining board in the corner, and I find that fine.

toomuchtooyoung Sun 26-Jan-14 21:06:45

I was thinking maybe of drainer towards the L part , and bowl where you would naturally stand at the corner of the worktop. MIL has it set up like this and keeps huge section of worktop free. everyone tells me the sink has to be central to the window. it may look more pleasing, but it leaves two small sections eitherside of sink rather than one nice long run of space. we don't dry washing up and spend more time chopping veg.

is it really such a faux pas ?

AngieM2 Sun 26-Jan-14 18:33:11

I've got a round one in a corner of the utility room. Its a PITA, difficult to reach.

If you had a single bowl sink and wall mounted taps you could have a chopping board adapted to sit over the sink and provide additional workspace when not being used as a sink ?! Then it wouldn't have to be in the corner - it could be somewhere with easier access ...

annalouiseh Sun 26-Jan-14 15:44:43

The chap at Magnet might of said that as he knows how much they charge for granite/quarts and these work best for corner sinks.
Corner sinks can be trouble for laminate unless you have a square edged, With square edged you need a 900 x 900 for the corner so the connecting bolts are away from the sink.
you cant just have a normal 'L' worktop/join as there is not enough support and not enough material to join the tops with bolts underneath

ineedanexcuse Sun 26-Jan-14 15:38:28

I know someone with corner kitchen sink and it works well. The drying space is to one side and is easily accessible if you stand behind the washer up IYSWIM.

I thought it looked odd at first but its quite practical and frees up counter space in a smallish kitchen.

Plus when the kitchen is tidy the sink and all its gubbins is in the corner so there is a clear run of shiny counter rather than a short run//sink//short run. Looks nicer to my eye.

BackforGood Sun 26-Jan-14 15:30:34

I suspect it would be difficult to reach into, when you are washing anything up / cleaning stuff/etc. I suspect you would then be knocking things on the draining board wiht your elbows. It would mean thre was no standing room for one person to wash and one to dry. I suspect future buyers would think it odd too.

toomuchtooyoung Sun 26-Jan-14 14:46:01

bumping for you as also interested to know. sinks take up so much room!

unaltronome Sun 26-Jan-14 11:48:01

does anyone have a corner sink in their kitchen? planning some renovations and new kitchen, but its going to be quite a small L shape without much countertop space. I thought if I put a corner sink in it would free the short bit of the L up a little. The guy at Magnet (where I got a quote/design from) said "oh you wouldn't want to do that" but didn't expand...

Anyone with any experience?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now