New job in Luton - where should we live?

(58 Posts)
ecofreckle Sun 29-Dec-13 21:43:49

My DP has just taken a job at the Uni of Bedfordshire based in Luton. We have a 9mo dd and have lived in Norfolk for nearly 20 years. We know no one in Luton so have nothing (other than the job) to take us there and I am scared of very urban living. We have family in Leicestershire. We are wondering where to move to!
As we are selling in Norfolk we will not be able to afford the 'southern' prices of the beautiful and nearby Chilterns sad. We ideally would like to be somewhere with a good community, good school, good transport link to Luton with some lovely countryside/walking nearby. Happy to commute up to an hour but prefer more like 45 mins.
We have looked at Market Harborough but it seems expensive (we have up to £200K). Anyone have any other inside info or ideas please?

Glittertwins Sat 04-Jan-14 19:51:19

Check out the Luton Airport expansion plans which have just been agreed in the past few weeks. You really don't want to be living under a flight path. People in Harpenden are not happy!
We looked at a lovely house in Caddington but it was 3 miles from the end of the runway and rather loud when planes went over.

LibraryBook Sun 05-Jan-14 13:14:54

Glittertwins - it's a an urban myth than Harpenden is affected by plane noise. It isn't. Harpenden is hyper vigilant at making sure planes don't fly over Harpenden. And the expansion plans use the same runway which runs east west orientation and the same flight paths - just more flights.

If you need to verify this, you can see the flight routes here:

http://www.harpendensky.com/PDFs/harpsky.rnav1.trial.pdf

I remember flights over our house. Pretty central harpenden.
There was one that always went over at 9.30

LibraryBook Sun 05-Jan-14 13:47:56
LibraryBook Sun 05-Jan-14 13:50:03

We live in central Harpenden and plane noise isn't a problem.

Ifancyashandy Sun 05-Jan-14 13:57:31

Leighton Buzzard. Good schools, small market town, sense of its own identity and community. Big enough that you won't get treated as a 'incommer'. Small enough to feel 'community'. Look at the Linslade side. Canal runs through it, good transport but surrounded by the Downs.

Underrated and thus you might get a bargain.

OddBoots Sun 05-Jan-14 13:59:12

I think it depends which way the wind is blowing as to where in the vicinity the noise can be heard. I live near the airport but only sometimes hear the planes, we used to visit Harpenden a lot (to swim before Luton got a lovely new pool) and could sometimes hear aircraft.

Glittertwins Sun 05-Jan-14 18:13:39

And I certainly don't blame the residents of Harpenden being vigilant! We see the planes quite low near us but we aren't affected by the noise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now