Who is responsible for fences in rented house?

(12 Posts)
feetheart Tue 24-Dec-13 17:58:48

Def landlord - I'm one and I had tenant's fence repaired yesterday. No word on the state of it today!

specialsubject Tue 24-Dec-13 17:54:22

ah, he won't be coming over then! Drop him an email so arrangements can be made after Xmas.

solveproblem Tue 24-Dec-13 17:40:16

Thanks special, landlord lives in New Zealand so even if I could get hold of them I don't think there's much they can do anyway until the letting agent is back open.

specialsubject Tue 24-Dec-13 10:40:43

definitely the landlord, who is responsible for all property repairs apart from damage caused by the tenant. If you have a direct number for him (you should) you can let him know, obviously he doesn't have to come dashing over immediately.

as suggested, try to make safe/reduce further damage if you can. But don't risk yourself.

ivegotaniphone Tue 24-Dec-13 09:26:56

When I was a landlord I always paid for fence repairs

solveproblem Tue 24-Dec-13 09:23:40

Yes, will definitely tie it down in the meantime. Thanks.

purplemurple1 Tue 24-Dec-13 09:22:30

Landlord unless there's some amendment to you tenancy agreement.
I would make it safe and try to prevent further damage if you can though.

NoComet Tue 24-Dec-13 09:20:15

ought to

NoComet Tue 24-Dec-13 09:19:49

Landlord, I have thought although I guess you out to tie up or weight down any damaged sections so they don't become dangerous to other people.

solveproblem Tue 24-Dec-13 09:19:30

Thanks Miranda, I'll wait and speak to the letting agent I Friday then.

I think we've got more wind to come so no use replacing anything now anyway.

MirandaWest Tue 24-Dec-13 09:12:41

I rent and when part of the fence blew down the landlord was responsible for it.

solveproblem Tue 24-Dec-13 09:11:35

We've lost our front gate and a gene panel in the back garden last night.
We're renting privately and have got an assured short hold tenancy agreement. Who is normally responsible for repairing/replacing fencing, the tenant or he landlord?

Tried to phone the letting agent this morning but they're closed until Friday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now