Wrong windows in extension.

(9 Posts)
MummytoMog Mon 23-Dec-13 11:56:11

Our build is a bit behind – we had agreed that windows and doors would be in for Christmas (as we’re going away for the day itself and were worried about security). Then it seemed like they wouldn’t be in, so we nudged them a bit. So they’ve rushed the windows into the extension on Saturday (nice of them to work on Saturday). I was stood in front of the window in the new kitchen, so I could see what my washing up view would be like (brilliant, I will be able to watch the kids playing in the garden which I couldn’t before) and thought to myself, gosh that window seems low, is the sink going to fit in front of it. Got builder to measure up. OH FUCK. I’m using standard Ikea cabinets, legs and worktops and from the looks of things, my work surface is going to be at the level of the bottom of the glass in the window. Which will obviously look shit. Now the chap on site didn’t order the windows, it was the big boss man (who to be fair to him, came and worked on site on Saturday to try and get everything secure for Christmas), and I’m sure he was thinking about maximising light etc etc etc, but the plans clearly have the sinks in front of the windows in the kitchen and the utility room, and they’re a pretty standard height, so WHY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY did he not take that into account?

I don’t want to be unreasonable. But nor do I want my £100k extension to look like shit because my kitchen cabinets cut across the bottom of the windows. Burst into tears this morning and left for work before I could say something unforgiveably rude to onsite builder, and OH and I have been exchanging increasingly fraught text messages. Onsite builder suggested building work tops into the window, but how on earth is that going to work? Especially as our work tops are a standard width. I don’t want to make them order new windows (and I’m not sure how successful I would be at forcing them to, even though it’s not my error, because there’s nothing on the quote about the window sizes or on the plans) but why should I have a bodged finish in the kitchen because they fucked up? I don’t even know how much the bloody new windows would cost. But we can’t afford it anyway. Nor can I afford to have bespoke fucking work tops made.

Am going to Ikea tonight to buy a cabinet and some legs so we can see how bad it is. Fucking bad I expect.

domesticslattern Mon 23-Dec-13 12:04:33

I really feel for you but is there really nothing on the plans or quotes about the window sizes? That sounds a bit weird. Are there other unspecified things in your £100k extension? I'd want to get that all firmed up quickly in case other stuff is not done as you expect but have not specified.

MummytoMog Mon 23-Dec-13 12:27:14

I just didn't really think I needed to specify that the windows should be of a size to fit cabinets in front of, given that they're shown on the floor plans as being in front of the windows. We don't have internal plans with heights on, just floor plans and external views. Obviously those plans have the windows on, but I don't think they're intended to be totally to scale (given we've been dicking around with the internal walls since day one and have even nudged an external wall in by six inches to keep our neighbour happy).

As a rule they ask us before they do anything, so I walk around and point where I want light fittings, plugs etc, and they've got the plans for our kitchen and utility so they can see where to put services. We spent two days with them deciding on how big the en suite in the loft should be. I don't understand why they didn't ask before ordering the windows, if there was a decision to be made about the height.

I'm desperately trying to convince myself that running the worksurface into the window might work, but I don't even know that until I butt the cupboard up against the window and get a level out.

ContentedSidewinder Mon 23-Dec-13 13:20:16

Why would you compromise by running your worktop into the window sill? You will forever be wishing you hadn't accepted it. Plus the window may be too low!

I had a kitchen extension & the window is higher than the lounge one because kitchen units are pretty much a standard height.

I have ikea units, the unit is 70cm then you add the leg, 16cm average plus worktop, another 3 or 4 cm . Don't forget your flooring may also add height.

As you are secure at the moment, it is fine but they will need to order new windows and build up the brick underneath.

It is definitely their error. They know you are putting a kitchen in. Experienced builders shouldn't make that mistake.

CointreauVersial Mon 23-Dec-13 13:25:22

In our old (not installed by us) kitchen we had cabinets that ran across a window - it didn't actually look too bad!

The window-sill was in effect "sunken" behind the worktop, by about six inches, but you really wouldn't notice. It certainly maximised the light.

When we replaced the kitchen we ended up putting a table there so it was no longer an issue.

Having said that, if you can prove that they've not followed your spec then it's worth getting it put right. But if you can't prove it, it may be at your expense.

MummytoMog Mon 23-Dec-13 13:45:25

I've found some nice pictures online where they have done that. If it's possible, then I think I would be ok with it (again, depends on where the cabinet height ends up). This one for example, although we wouldn't have room for the strip they've put up.

http://www.ryobajoinery.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/kitchens/img_2822.jpg

We are planning solid wood flooring in the kitchen (already bought) which adds another couple of centimetres to everything of course.

I suspect any suggestion that they buy new windows will not go down well. This is going to end up like the door to the downstairs loo, where I just gave in and had it in the utility room because I couldn't face the argument.

CrazyOldCatLady Mon 23-Dec-13 14:58:02

There's no way I'd compromise on something like that. Worktops are a standard height, it should have been taken into consideration.

I'd be insisting on new ones.

fresh Mon 23-Dec-13 16:23:55

I think running the worktop into the window is better than having an upstand. It lets much more light in and if you have a gloss finish on your worktop it bounces light into the room. I much prefer it, had it done in my kitchen and have done it for a client too. I'd stick with it!

georgedawes Mon 23-Dec-13 16:31:46

If it makes you feel any better we're just having ours done and having the worktop going into the window, I prefer that look. Hope you get it sorted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now