Do you have a limestone kitchen floor?

(10 Posts)
dontcallmemam Sun 22-Dec-13 06:39:36

Do you like it? Has it stained/ chipped/ruined?
DH is adamant that we should have one in our new kitchen but will be the first to go nuts if we pay loads & it get ruined.
I understand it needs to be carefully laid and sealed regularly.
Will have UFH btw
Thanks.

Turnipsandsproutswithtinselon Sun 22-Dec-13 06:48:14

Yes. It has been down for ten or so years throughout all of downstairs. It rarely gets resealed and is cleaned with a steam mop. We have 'rustic' tiles with a chipped edge and I find it is the grout that holds the stains etc. But on the whole it is holding up really well.

Turnipsandsproutswithtinselon Sun 22-Dec-13 06:48:51

And we have UFH as well. It is lovely to walk on barefoot

dontcallmemam Sun 22-Dec-13 06:55:11

Thank you so much.
What's your opinion on red wine spillage not drinking?
Does it not stain if the floor is sealed and you mop up quickly?

Turnipsandsproutswithtinselon Sun 22-Dec-13 07:06:01

We have spilled a lot of red wine- it only stains the grout. We have been through a Lot of wine glasses though!

The only thing I haven't got off is a mysterious black mark that appeared under an armchair. I have no earthly idea what it is and haven't managed to find the culprit get the dcs to admit to it yet
It does have children's paint, crayon etc on it regularly and it all comes off easily

dontcallmemam Sun 22-Dec-13 07:34:34

Really useful, thank you

dontcallmemam Mon 23-Dec-13 06:38:45

turnips, is the sealing a straight forward job? Does it make the floor shiny?

Stillcomingtoterms Mon 23-Dec-13 22:35:59

We have it in our bathroom, it hasn't stained but the dc being sick took the top layer off and now we have a Matt vomit splash mark on it.

Turnipsandsproutswithtinselon Tue 24-Dec-13 00:23:09

We used lithothin stain stop and colour enhancer, and just brush it on with a paintbrush. It isn't shiny - of course that might be the dust pine needles, cat hair etc

Helliecopter Sat 28-Dec-13 20:43:07

We've just laid a limestone floor in the kitchen. It's only been down a couple of weeks (without UHF) so I can't comment on its long-term durability but it looks lovely! We sealed it with something called mattstone which doesn't go shiny at all. It is doing ok so far, seems to be coping with DD2 starting weaning and only one breakage (a cheap plate). I do go into panic mode every time I see a water splash though, thinking it's something more evil waiting to eat my lovely stone away lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now