Residential CCTV

(6 Posts)
ContentedSidewinder Mon 23-Dec-13 13:29:37

I had my car broken into on my drive, we were one of many that night.

We went into a cctv shop, spoke to them to get the best idea of how to protect our property. They were fantastic and of course very knowledgeable plus we could see the quality of the images before we bought the cameras. We fitted them ourselves. Long distance ones plus a close up in our porch.

We don't face the road so had no issues with filming public spaces etc there is a small sticker on our front door that says electronic surveillance in operation.

ContentedSidewinder Mon 23-Dec-13 13:29:37

I had my car broken into on my drive, we were one of many that night.

We went into a cctv shop, spoke to them to get the best idea of how to protect our property. They were fantastic and of course very knowledgeable plus we could see the quality of the images before we bought the cameras. We fitted them ourselves. Long distance ones plus a close up in our porch.

We don't face the road so had no issues with filming public spaces etc there is a small sticker on our front door that says electronic surveillance in operation.

MrsFlorrick Sat 21-Dec-13 23:52:16

It's not a mine field at all. Sign yes and ensure your camera isn't pointing into your neighbours lounge obviously.

You can get very cheaply from Maplin or similar a whole 4 camera system with wiring and HDD box for about £150.

The law essentially only requires that the camera isn't pointing into someone else home, that you have a sign at the entrance to your house stating CCTV (which you would anyway because its meant to deter!) and that you only record 30 days continuous information and at 30 days your box starts to over write day 1 video.

It's very simple. Fairly cheap. Do get cameras with sufficient capability to identify a face even in darkness (infrared recording). DIY installation is possible.

ThatIsIt Fri 20-Dec-13 14:00:09

It sounds like a minefield, I will do a bit of research, thanks.

Elansofar Thu 19-Dec-13 21:09:37

Hi, ref CCTV, please google ICO policy so you use within data protection guidelines. The key is that if you intend to use CCTV for later prosecution you must have appropriate signage up. CCTV is best at access or egress points and vulnerable areas of your property eg where the fence is low or access point is outside general visibility of the property user. There's lots of firms out there to help on this type of thing and the local crime prevention police officer may also have leaflets and advice for you.

ThatIsIt Thu 19-Dec-13 14:19:20

There have been some garden thefts locally, and I am thinking of installing CCTV. Can you tell me about the CCTV you have got around your home?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now