Lighting a 1960s house

(13 Posts)
MsONatto Sun 15-Dec-13 18:11:37

We're renovating a 1960s house (so boxy and with 8ft high walls) and I'm so confused about lighting.

I don't like the holes in the ceilings so am planning getting something (what?)

Don't know about wall lights either - some look really good but then you are kind of stuck with them,aren't you. Are freestanding not better?

wonkylegs Sun 15-Dec-13 21:39:12

I'd always go for a mixture of fittings so that you can use it as you need it.
We have a decorative central light fitting with wall lights and table lamps. Rarely do we have them all on (only when we have parties) but use a mix or individually depending on what we need. Its functional and can create different moods.

PigletJohn Mon 16-Dec-13 01:33:09

yes, start with ceiling roses, preferably central. The old ones might have been close to the windows in some rooms, intended to replicate the daytime light/shadow directions. If you develop a dislike to pendants you can have them removed and just leave the ceiling rose up for possible future use.

If the extra cost is manageable, consider several 5A round 3-pin sockets for standard or table lamps, controlled by a switch by the door (and preferably also 2-way or intermediate switches by bedheads or french windows). An experienced electrician will be very familiar with the method. You can have pretty well as many as you want in any normal domestic room, and you can have switches for, say, half of them, or the other half, or both halves. You can put pretty well any standard or table lamp in, unless you desire multiple powerful 300W halogen uplighters. Modern energy saving lamps use very little electricity and run cool.

MsONatto Mon 16-Dec-13 09:28:14

Thank you both. PigletJohn - I had no idea there were round 3-pin sockets on the go anymore but I've just googled it after your advice. What would the benefit be of those rather than regular sockets where we could use lights or any other piece of electrical equipment?

PigletJohn Mon 16-Dec-13 09:59:51

You can use round 5A sockets and control them with a light switch. They are only allowed on a 6A fused circuit, so the cable, switches and sockets are lighter duty than for a circuit that can supply e.g. an electric kettle, iron or fan heater.

The UK square pin 13A socket and fused plug is a marvellous invention, the round sockets and plugs work on a different circuit design.

PigletJohn Mon 16-Dec-13 10:04:04 the advantage is that you can turn multiple standard lamps and table lamps on and off with a light switch by the door, rather than walking round to every lamp.

PigletJohn Mon 16-Dec-13 10:05:50

...but you can still move all the lamps around the room or from room to room, as they are plugged in, not fixed.

MsONatto Mon 16-Dec-13 10:14:47

OK I understand that now. Would we be able to have a dimmer switch with both systems?

PigletJohn Mon 16-Dec-13 10:21:06

Yes but I would not spend much on that yet. Dimmable CFLs and LEDs are coming out but will need special dimmers. They will be very expensive for a couple of years and you don't want to get stuck down a technological dead end if a better design emerges as the standard.

bellasuewow Sat 21-Dec-13 22:07:50

Try ultra modern, Scandinavian, Art Deco styles they suit light and space.

MsONatto Sun 22-Dec-13 08:07:59

Do you have any links bellasuewow? I like Scandinavian designs.

TalkinPeace Sun 22-Dec-13 17:31:41

in the complex of apartments my dad lives in there are no ceiling lights at all - just sockets linked to light switches so you can put whatever lights you like around the room

MsONatto Sun 22-Dec-13 22:59:32

That sounds nice TalkinPeace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now