House selling/buying - how many houses do people look at?

(14 Posts)
Lottie4 Mon 09-Dec-13 14:23:55

We are putting our house on the market next month and just wondered how many people have looked at your house (if sold recently) or how many houses you looked at before you were able to complete on your purchase.

We moved in 1999 and it was a nightmare. Properties were selling within 24 hours, so looked at a lot, went to put offer in and they'd gone. Also, our first chain fell apart 2/3 days before we were likely to exchange, so had to start all over again, so at that time we looked at about 20 properties. We put the offer in on our present house while still doing the first viewing to secure it.

Lucylouby Mon 09-Dec-13 15:06:43

Only one person looked at ours (just waiting to exchange) and the market wasn't/isnt moving really quick. We we lucky, the lady looked at it, liked it and made us an offer. We looked at three properties and picked the first one we looked at.

kronenborg Mon 09-Dec-13 16:06:21

we were buyers with nothing to sell...we have been looking for the right house for over a year.

in that time, i would say we've actually viewed perhaps 20 places - but with many hundreds viewed online.

these days you can do a pretty good amount of "due diligence" online, thereby excluding lots of properties without even needing to do a physical viewing.

by the time we actually set foot in a house for a viewing, we knew it had to be a serious prospect.

hyperspacebug Mon 09-Dec-13 16:34:51

we are house hunting in incredibly popular area and I've lost two bids so far despite bidding well over the asking price sad
we've viewed about 20+ properties so far in 8 months - we don't bother looking at non-prospects for fun
I'm exhausted and prices are rising and rising, but my DS is already settled in very good school in the area, so not keen to move out of the area (we are renting)

//depressed

jacktherat Mon 09-Dec-13 22:07:49

We didn't have anything to sell, and looked at about 20 places in about 6-7 weeks.

AngryFeet Mon 09-Dec-13 22:13:47

About 10 places in a couple of months. We had nothing to sell. We wanted a certain area and knew we could never get our dream house on our budget so based our decision on what we could do to a place (space to extend etc). Houses in this area are fairly scarce at our budget and we needed to move by the end of the year so there was no point hanging on for something we would likely never find anyway smile

Mum2Fergus Mon 09-Dec-13 22:42:48

FTB approx a year ago...this was the 5/6th house I looked at over space if 6 months (quite a small search area)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

soundevenfruity Mon 09-Dec-13 23:43:00

We got tired on our 3rd weekend of back to back viewing with agents taking groups of prospective buyers on a tour of completely unsuitable properties. grin We couldn't do weekdays at all so that left Saturdays. In my experience many properties that agents kept online had been sold already or were in the process of. That was majorly annoying because we couldn't research. I think our house was 16th property we saw as it was the last one on the 3rd day. The good bit was that is in an awkward corner of a popular area so we had 4 viewings after that. It's utter madness to make such a huge financial commitment after spending 15 minutes walking around.

sleepyhead Mon 09-Dec-13 23:45:43

We had 8 or so viewings lined up for our place (couple of months ago) but the first person to view offered and we accepted, so only showed 4 lots of people round. It went much quicker than we were expecting.

For our purchase, we suddenly found ourselves on a fairly tight deadline due to the quick sale, but there were a limited number of properties that met our criteria for size, location and price. We viewed them all (6) over the course of a week, put offers in on two and had one accepted... we're meant to be moving later on this week (fingers crossed!).

We did the selling and buying within a fortnight, but although I still have the alerts set up in Rightmove etc there has been nothing new on the market that we would even have gone to view so I don't think we missed out on anything by moving quickly.

Lottie4 Tue 10-Dec-13 11:01:52

Thanks for your replies. If ours were to sell quickly, I think there's only three houses that we would want to view, but it depends on if they sell and what else comes along. Staying in the same area is more important than getting a larger house, but it's still nice to have a choice.

We sold to the second people who looked at ours. We are house hunting now and are on house number 7 tomorrow for a viewing.
When we bought the house that we just sold I looked at about 20 houses.

wonkylegs Tue 10-Dec-13 16:51:20

We visited approximately 35houses out of a shortlist of 50.
We were relocating and looking for a house for the next 20yrs or so. We wanted something with character, size and potential. The only fixed characteristics was it's location it had to be within 10miles of job.

Of the people who looked at our house - 6 people offered within a week, most of them had not seen anything else. Not many houses like ours were on the Market and so when it came up we had loads of interest.

soundevenfruity Tue 10-Dec-13 21:58:07

There is a property-bee add-on for Firefox web browser. It gives you a brief history of updates to a property on rightmove. So you will know when property has come to market, how many times it was updated to sold and then back. It can really help with negotiations. ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now