What style of internal doors have you got?

(25 Posts)
CalamitouslyWrong Mon 09-Dec-13 13:40:56

The original 1930s doors in my house (and still in next door's) had 5 horizontal panels. Like these.

PigletJohn Mon 09-Dec-13 13:28:04

1930's doors would have been panelled pine, about an inch and a quarter thick (which is not much) often with a single large square ply panel in the top third, and three tall thin panels in the lower part; otherwise three tall and three short panels. Wider panels as used in four-panel doors are more likely to split.

CointreauVersial Mon 09-Dec-13 13:14:44

Thanks PigletJohn, I'll have a look at those handles.

Coathooks too - hopeless. I've gone for the ones that hook over the top of the door as drilling into fresh air is pointless.

Our house is 1930s with 1980s additions so I'm wondering what the doors of that period would have looked like.

nessus Sun 08-Dec-13 22:37:50

wonkylegs I am actually going for a double glazed exterior pattern 10 part l door for kitchen/back door funnily enough. The new front door is the Lloyd Wright from Cotswood so would tie in well with the horizontal panelled doors the more I think about it.

*Btw your dad's house sounds lush*Acres of glass [drool]

wonkylegs Sun 08-Dec-13 22:24:20

When we refurbished my dads 60's house we used some similar to these
His is a one off architecturally designed generally open plan 60's house which had been mucked about by previous owners. It doesn't have loads of doors just on the bedroom wing, and as everything else is so dramatic (acres of glass Walls) we went for something quiet but good quality.

PigletJohn Sun 08-Dec-13 20:07:58

nessus

You can buy matching rubbish doors at a cheaper price for the pantry. Will have the same range name. But get the heavy ones for bathroom and WC due to their sound-muffling quality <parp>

PigletJohn Sun 08-Dec-13 20:05:25

CointreauVersial

I expect your knobs are falling off because there is nothing substantial to screw into.

Look for bolt through door furniture where long screws from one knob bolt into the other knob on the other side. A much stronger fixing.

try here

nessus Sun 08-Dec-13 19:51:02
nessus Sun 08-Dec-13 19:47:49

Oops blush obviously I meant 'true' as opposed to through...

Been rather drawn to the flat (not inlaid) 5 horizontal panel doors but not sure if I would leave it oak and stained or painted. The darker wood a la walnut and wenge I love but might look off as oak and oak a la pine is the running theme when it comes to wood in the house. Cladding, siding, stair treads and original
flooring etc...

Pigletjohn in that case it seems the doors to be found are indeed 'originals'. They are just as described and they look seriously budget and flimsy at that. Years of gloss paint leaving yellow veneer only adds to none attractiveness hmm

Hoping January sales will bring good deals so I can buy the 7 I need. Umm, cupboard doors (pantry etc) don't have to match right?!

Now off to look at shared links smile

CointreauVersial Sun 08-Dec-13 18:29:09

We have a selection of gloss-painted faux-Victorian panelled doors and the flat 1960s ones. All cheap and nasty hollow things. With a variety of door handles, which regularly fall off as the doors are so rubbish.

We'll get to them one day, but they are a fair way down the list of "things we need to update".

Oddsocksrus Sun 08-Dec-13 18:23:19

www.doordeals.co.uk/products/special-offers/internal-oak-sp-mexicano-fire-door.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=CJOLrfieobsCFSbHtAodyCQApw
We have these with round chrome handles, they are gorgeous and I never regret installing them.
We have two wood burners to had to have proper fire doors throughout

Mmmbacon Sun 08-Dec-13 18:16:37

6 panel knotty pine doors with black decorative handles, only mistake we made was they were green timber that we varnished, but when I get the money together I am going to get them all re sanded and lacquered,

MummytoMog Sun 08-Dec-13 18:16:09

The original 1930s doors, although they're all about to come out for fire doors. They will be one over three as well, and cost nearly as much as my bloody kitchen sad

https://www.shawfieldtimber.co.uk/78X33X44MM_RADIATA_PINE_DX_30_S_FIRE_DOOR_75603.aspx

CalamitouslyWrong Sun 08-Dec-13 18:00:36

We've got oak shaker doors.

The doors were all mismatched when we moved in (some seemed to have been acquired from council skips as far as we could tell). The original doors were 1930s ones with 5 horizontal panels, but there was only one left. Our doors are similar (although only 4 panels) and look lovely.

Mrsladybirdface Sun 08-Dec-13 17:56:01

strike through fail but you get the point!

Mrsladybirdface Sun 08-Dec-13 17:52:01

we've just ripped out our dark brown 60s doors, and replaced with either 4 panel or glass oak doors, they look lovely.

Obviously, they don't fit with the period but as I only know --normal-- folk who wouldn't care about that sort of thing it's fine grin

PigletJohn Sun 08-Dec-13 17:13:34

I fear a 1960's door would have been a flush door

i.e. flat faced, made of air with a thin skin of painted hardboard or ply, sometimes with a veneer or wood-effect paper stuck to it.

Many of those have gone to the skip where they belong. Drunks used to punch holes in them.

You can still buy hollow flush doors. I wouldn't.

A more pretentious 1960's house might have had panelled doors in a thin, flimsy timber. You can still buy those, too. A millionaire might have had solid panelled doors. AFAIK all fire doors were sold flush then.

nessus Sun 08-Dec-13 17:04:50

Thanks for sharing. Liking the idea of fire doors for sound blocking qualities, and added preventative function. Parietal your doors sound magnificent but I only need to hear the word architect designed and I lose all reasoning!

Also note being through to period but have no idea what the 1960s door would have looked like so off to Google I go.

As promised a little something for you all [thanks) thanks

Parietal Sun 08-Dec-13 15:10:29

Very unusual magnetic modern door. Floor to ceiling plain slab (no handle) that closes from a magnetic catch like a light switch and opens flat into the wall so it hides. A bit bizarre, but an architect did our house (before we bought it).

PigletJohn Sun 08-Dec-13 15:04:32

this one It's very solid. I see they have just put the price up, they must have a 25% sale coming up. This one is made by Premdoor. Magnet sometimes have a very nice one, but any door merchant will stock or order doors to your whim.

jimijack Sun 08-Dec-13 14:49:18

Fire doors.
Sound awful but are lovely, wooden paneled.
Had to have them for Fire regs when we had the loft done.

BrownSauceSandwich Sun 08-Dec-13 14:45:44

The original ones, from ~1930, like this: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/reclaimed-1930s-internal-doors-/271337593740 (no link to seller)

GrandPoohBah Sun 08-Dec-13 11:38:38

Original Art Deco ones with glass in and Bakelite handles. I love them but I hold my breath every time 1yo DD toddles in their direction. Despite the safety film I've put on the glass.

So I wouldn't recommend those :D

PigletJohn Sun 08-Dec-13 11:21:00

I grew up in an Edwardian house so I like 6-panel doors.

Ordinary internal doors are quite thin and flimsy, so I have fire doors which are a bit thicker, but very much heavier and more solid, and a lot better for blocking sound.

They do usually need a matching lining (frame) and better hinges due to the weight.

Paint grade doors are much cheaper than veneered or solid wood.

nessus Sun 08-Dec-13 10:38:00

Umming and aahing about interior doors to install. Can I be nosey and ask what you have!

Links, pictures and style names will of course be rewarded with flowers smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now