Can you put in an offer if it's already under offer?(78 Posts)
Sorry, I am a complete newb to house hunting.
I haven't got a CLUE what the protocol is so please forgive if I sound completely stupid.
But we've found a house that's under offer and we really, really like it.
Would it be unfair/wrong/unethical to make an offer ourselves?
I am sure I will realise all the answers to this stuff as we go along, but for now, I am relying on you lot and a bunch of estate agents to show me the ropes!
What should we do?
Surely if the vendor has accepted the offer, its sold stc? Until then, it doesn't mean much and it's not gazumping
Well all points taken on board...it's cosmetic stuff, not structural from what I can see...though till the survey you just can't tell.
It might be worse than I expect.
I will just speak to the agents tomorrow (there are two different agents - one advertising as under offer, and on zoopla is is 'stc' and on the other agent's listing it's not even under offer)
I will speak to both agents and try and gauge the situation as far as I am able,
and if they seem keen to let us see it then maybe we will, I don't know, I will have to see how it seems at the time.
I really don't want to mess up everyone's stuff. But letting them know we are interested could go both ways, I suppose.
Cards on the table and see what happens I think. As I said, I tend to go by the 'what's for you won't go by you' thing, a bit.
It's fine Bowlers! Whatever it takes to explain - it's all educational for me, too.
I doubt I'll get a viewing too - but at present I can't tell if it is sold STC or just UO.
Or if the zoopla 'stc' thing was from a prior offer that fell through? Not sure when it was made or when it even went onto the market tbh. I was looking in a lower budget bracket before so missed it.
Under offer and Sold subject to contract are just saying the same thing.
Gosh I didn't know they were the same thing - that's sneaky! My house had been sold stc but the buyers pulled out so definitely let the EA know you're interested
Just to add that if this is a house you have only seen online, beware that UO could mean anything!
We sold my mum's house this summer & the EA's website had it on as "Under Offer" until 2 weeks AFTER completion!
I don't think your offer would be considered unless the previous offer has literally just gone in & is still being considered or the chain is falling apart anyway.
If the vendor was happy with the offer they would have taken it off the market (and I always make this a condition when I make an offer on a house).
Good point metoo although it can take a couple of days for it to actually come off Rightmove etc
Thanks guys. Well I will try to update when I have more info from the agent(s).
I wanted to view one the other week that was also lovely - and was sold STC.
I was told by the agents that they could still technically do viewings but in practice, all viewings were off as a courtesy to the prospective buyer.
I can understand that. But I did think Under Offer was slightly different - I hope it is - it might also depend on which agent it is, as I was told by one that some are willing to do more than others (I think).
I imagine that if the vendor isn't happy with the existing offer then they may be more encouraging to me than otherwise. Reading between the lines etc which I am not very good at!
I have now found it was listed in September at 10 grand above the current asking price. I think it sold and then fell through as it had some work needed or similar - thus the 'STC' on zoopla and the under offer on the agent's actual website.
Therefore I doubt they would consider our offer anyway..!
Oh! No, it was added in MAY.
So that isn't looking so straightforward...and that's SOLD on zoopla, and now it is back on...
it must have fallen through at least once. Reduced in Oct.
If you are a cash buyer you are in a strong position. depending on what the vendor needs you may not have to offer more than previous offers.
If the vendor is hoping to move soon a cash buyer = no waiting for mortgage and you could complete within days.
We got a house very reasonably like this.
It is complete moral to offer the owner the best price and deal for their property,
be in the best position to offer, be a buyer with no chain.
Be careful buying an 'old' house that's fallen through. Get a survey and check it hasn't fallen through because it's a money pit........
I'm really surprised at the number of people on here who think its okay to gazump. Once a house is under offer the buyer is already spending money on surveys etc. I think it's a really shit thing to do. Register your interest with teh estate agent in case it falls through and look for another house. Not flaming you OP just surprised at the way this thread has gone.
It's not gazumping.
It's the market at work. If one person thinks the house is worth x under the asking price ans is prepared to lay out for searches, surverys etc on that basis they cannot be upset if someone else thinks the house is worth more and offers more. It's business.
As Eurochick said:
* If the vendor was happy with the offer they would have taken it off the market (and I always make this a condition when I make an offer on a house).*
That's what I insist on too. I don't waste money on the legal and structural side until I know I have an agreed sale and the house is no longer being advertised.
Until it's off the market it's still open to (better) offers.
Levantine - you must be reading a different thread to me. Most people have said it's not a very nice thing to do and the OP agreed
How many vendors are willing to take it off the market?
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
I've done a reasonable amount of house buying and selling, and never yet come across a situation in which the proposed cost of a replacement bathroom was the deciding factor in who's offer was accepted .
I'd like to be a fly on the wall of the estate agent tomorrow when you try to find out if the character of current buyers and their plans for renovation meet the standards you deem adequate.
I am sure there is plenty of regional variation,
But in London many houses stay on zoopla until completion ( or after) with a sold marking on them.
It doesn't mean the agents haven't told the buyers they have taken the house off the market.
With the way the market is currently running ( massieve competition for every property, sealed bids etc) I wouldn't trust what the agent says about no longer marketing a property. Just because they say it's off the market and take the sign down once your offer is accepted doesn't mean they are telling the truth!
It's a very upsetting position to be in especially when you have paid survey/ mortgage arrangement/ legal fees and I do think it's morally wrong.
Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's ok!
Hope things work out for you and you find a great house.
What goes around comes around.
I think I agree unless it is actually, 'under offer by someone but we are not happy with the offer' and the offerer hasn't actually forked out a huge amount on surveys and so on.
I don't know at this stage when the offer went in. It appears to have been reduced by about 25 grand since May, and obviously I haven't been looking in this price range, so have only just seen it.
If I can find out a bit of history then I can make a judgment - presumably the agents would tell the offerers that another offer is on the cards (if not made) shortly after they have made theirs? In which case they could hold off on the legal stuff until the vendor decided to accept their offer?
I don't know but I will make sure to find out.
I am sure there must be regional variation. I think it varies between agents too.
I do NOT want to do something that hurts someone else. That to me is a definition of immoral. Whether or not it is legal.
I would hate someone to come along once I had made an offer and put things in place and offer more than me. But that could still happen, even if I stick to a moral stance on it myself, I guess, if that is how the law works.
Crappy law then.
I will try and find out what is occurrin' and then go from there. But surely registering interest with the agent is going to be the way to go anyway, because then if it doesn't fall through you're no worse off, and if it does, you've done it properly.
I suppose the only thing is if the vendor wants more, or a quicker completion, then they are going to be pissed off if I don't make an offer. So who do you try to appease? Someone could lose out whatever I do. What if the old lady has nursing home fees? etc etc.
Hopefully they are a fairly moral agent (I got that impression when I dealt with them before) and hopefully they will indicate if the offer is from someone who is very keen, or if the vendor isn't happy with it. Without a better idea it's quite hard to say what is moral and what isn't.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.