Mouldy grouting in bathroom - this REALLY works!!

(62 Posts)
Selks Fri 22-Nov-13 13:11:55

I'm not sponsored by the company, honest, and I have a history on here (Yoni massage, centre parks, poo troll etc) but I've just used this mould spray in my bathroom and OMG does it work!
I've had major black mould problems in my bathroom grout and was dubious that anything would shift it but bought this stuff on the recommendation of other MN-ers and sprayed it on earlier today.....and have been amazed by the results - seriously sparkling white grout - it changes colour before your eyes - you do not need to scrub or anything, just sponge the spray off after. Amazeballs! I seriously thought I was going to need the bathroom re-grouting before this.

Just had to share, for those who have a similar problem. smile

It does smell so you need to ventilate well when you spray it on, and it does bleach so be careful (don't get it on your feet like I did stupidly standing in the bath while I sprayed it - realised just in time. Have clean feet now anyway!)

(Disclaimer - I know all about more ventilation needed - treat the cause of the mould etc etc but just not possible in my tiny north facing bathroom)

Selks Mon 25-Nov-13 22:01:24

It's like super-bleach ThenSheSaid. I think it has bleach and something else in it. It worked far better than bleach for me.

ThenSheSaid Mon 25-Nov-13 21:37:17

I ordered this on Amazon very early Sunday morning and it was delivered at 10:00'ish on Monday morning. That's fast!

Anyway, it does work but I can't help but think its just a bottle of bleach ????

Any chemists around to check.

It faded the black to a light grey. It looks a lot better but I think I will still redo the sealant. It doesn't take me too long.

MinimalistMommi Mon 25-Nov-13 20:50:56

Leave a window open a crack. It has worked but it definitely needs more than two 30 min applications. My husband is very pleased by it, means we don't have hassle of re grouting now.

Aquariusgirl86 Sun 24-Nov-13 08:17:46

Bought some yesterday.....haven't tried yet but I see people are saying it's stinky and leave it over night.......is it so stinky that it will stink the whole upstairs out?

MinimalistMommi Sun 24-Nov-13 06:06:13

Stinks of chlorine to me!

I never get mould on the grouting or sealant around my shower cubicle.

The way to prevent it is to dry the whole thing - tiles, glass panels, door and base - after every use. It sounds a pain but only takes a couple of minutes and I use the towel I've just dried myself with.

I get plenty of mould growing on the walls and ceilings though <sigh>

What does the HG stuff smell of? Is it bleach?

I used the cheap Astonish Mould and mildew remover spray from Home Bargains (green bottle) for £1 and it worked wonderfully, orange and black all gone from the grout lines and sealant, I did it about 4 or 5 days in a row and let it stay on overnight. Now I do it weekly and theres been no more mould at all,

JollySeriousGiant Sat 23-Nov-13 20:05:11

The HG didn't work here. Might have to try it again if you lot are recommending it.

thenightsky Sat 23-Nov-13 20:02:48

Yes, leave it on overnight. I always do. But I make sure the area I'm treating is bone dry before I spray.

MinimalistMommi Sat 23-Nov-13 17:45:07

So the second thirty mins made it go brown, so I seem to be getting somewhere...

didireallysaythat Sat 23-Nov-13 17:28:53

I spray orange tinged shower curtains with a kitchen bleach spray. Then wash in the machine...

MinimalistMommi Sat 23-Nov-13 16:54:10

I'm putting it on again for another 30 mins, it hasn't completely worked first time around, lightened some of it but a patch of really black mould own sealant doesn't seem to be working. Is it ok to leave this stuff on overnight?

1charlie1 Sat 23-Nov-13 16:35:17

We've got this. Have only ever done the grout/ seals with it. Could you give your shower curtain a spray with it, leave it for a bit, then run it through the wash as normal?

MinimalistMommi Sat 23-Nov-13 15:49:12

I have not he sealant in the bathroom now it stinks!

ParsingFancy Sat 23-Nov-13 13:54:47

Another one who just knew it would be HG.

I like the tissue idea, though, as I suspect 'twas a sneaky dribble of HG that took the paint off the window sill. It probably sat there undetected for a while.

Selks Sat 23-Nov-13 13:43:39

Sorry Sleepyhead grin

cavell Sat 23-Nov-13 12:10:59

I think the answer to stopping getting the orange stuff building up is not to use bars of soap and be sure to wipe any splashes of conditioner away. Use shower gel or liquid soap.
Once I managed to persuade my old-fashioned dh to stop using bars of soap in the shower, we stopped getting the build up of orange gunk. I understand it feeds on the fat found in soap bars.

sleepyhead Sat 23-Nov-13 11:22:54

I try not to think about it selks, so thanks for that grin

We didn't get the orange stuff until fairly recently (last couple of years) oddly enough. It must have colonised the bathroom at some point and be hiding somewhere the bleach doesn't reach, because it always comes.back.

Selks Sat 23-Nov-13 10:42:09

Um, you know the orangey staining......Horrors!! shock

ThenSheSaid Sat 23-Nov-13 00:43:46

I just ordered some on amazon plus some grout cleaner. Both have great reviews.

Doinmummy Sat 23-Nov-13 00:27:20

I have mould that is sort of ingrained in the silicon. Will this stuff work on that ?

Selks Sat 23-Nov-13 00:19:43

That's quite bizarre Brian; you must have super-mould!
And yes to the strategically-placed bottles; have had to do that myself before now smile

BrianTheMole Fri 22-Nov-13 23:40:28

Was there no improvement with it at all?

No, not even a tiny bit. I started with such high hopes thinking dh must have done it all wrong as well grin
Oh well, back to hiding the mouldy bits with carefully placed bottles of shampoo!

thenightsky Fri 22-Nov-13 22:22:08

LongStripedScarfWearer Dry the area you want to treat before spraying on. Makes massive difference.

thenightsky Fri 22-Nov-13 22:21:08

HG is mega. It does take a few goes on silcone sealant though. I found it worked best if I sprayed it on dry silicone and left overnight. Then repeat this every night for a week.... result is white silicone seal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now