Can I put coal in the wood burner?

(32 Posts)
superlambanana Thu 21-Nov-13 16:06:57

We have a wood burner, not a multi-fuel stove. Can somebody tell me the difference please?!

We go through wood at an alarming rate - we have an entire big (ex)shed to burn, but at this rate it won't last us the winter. The stove is pretty small - I can't imagine a smaller size - and the room isn't very big either (about 3m square), yet it doesn't give out much heat.

Can I burn coal in it, or will it ruin it? Or is there some miracle slow-burning fuel I can put on it if I can't use coal, that will last longer?

Janek Fri 22-Nov-13 12:38:38

We have. 4 kw stovax, it has a vent at the bottom and a vent at the top. If it had a grate and ashpan it would be multifuel, but we didn't get that, so it is just a woodburner.

There is a plate that slides out on the bottom left hand side of the burner which gives all its details.

You definitely need the bottom closed once the fire is at 'operating temperature, otherwise your wood will be gone in a flash!

this is ours

BlueSkySunnyDay Fri 22-Nov-13 12:46:54

I definately think its worth checking I wouldnt assume, but I would take anything the chimney sweep says with a pinch of salt grin our first one was a right character despite being a member of NACS

See if you can find out what model it is.

bunchoffives Fri 22-Nov-13 21:01:28

Try searching some of the sites to see if you can spot the model OP

PolterWho Fri 22-Nov-13 21:13:10

If it's got a grate and an ashpan then it's multi-fuel and explains why your wood is burning so quickly. Coal needs a grate but wood burns best on a bed of ash. Try letting the ashpan fill up and over the grate and see if it burns slower.

ihatethecold Fri 22-Nov-13 21:25:15

Op. We have been wondering exactly what you have.

We have no make or model and it was installed before we moved in.

Our set up is the same as yours
Flue,
Stove,
Grate on the bottom, then ash tray underneath.

Where does everyone buy coal from?

BlueSkySunnyDay Sat 23-Nov-13 15:16:45

I usually buy bags of smokeless in our local budgens or hardware store for £6-£7 last time I got 5 bags in B & M for £22

georgedawes Sat 23-Nov-13 16:15:10

we buy it from our local coal merchant, lucky to have one very close

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now