Can you have a look at this house's floor plan and tell me where you would put the downstairs toilet?

(23 Posts)
MrsAMerrick Thu 14-Nov-13 19:58:22

Put the loo under the stairs. We used to live in a house with a very similar layout to this, and the previous owners had done this. It was quite small, but adequate. The loo went under the sloping bit of the stairs and the (very small) basin went on the upright wall. There was still enough space under the stairs to have a cupboard for the hoover and lots of crap. Speak to an experienced plumber, they will have done jobs like this and can advise you.

BristleWorm Thu 14-Nov-13 15:53:29

Ooh... Interesting! I like your thinking smile

Having a glazed roof area in that new extension will bring in similar amounts of daylight into the lounge that leaving a bit of a gap would have done ! So it's a win win this way IMO ! :-)

Alwayscheerful Thu 14-Nov-13 12:16:12

One plan - that's a great plan, my thoughts but I was unsure about windows.

if you extend out to the right all along - you can make the entrance into the new kitchen through the old lounge window and this frees up the lobby between the old kitchen and the lounge to be a downstairs loo with laundry and stairs !

Alwayscheerful Thu 14-Nov-13 11:36:28

Yes, make the loo the same length as the bath or the same length as the worktop on the adjoining wall between the lobby and the kitchen.

NickNacks Thu 14-Nov-13 11:28:20

No put the toilet door adjacent to the hall/kitchen door (in the hall side) and use the entire under stair area for the loo.

BristleWorm Thu 14-Nov-13 08:40:18

Yes LIZS it's currently a sort of breakfast area-come-garden-room. We'll be taking the extension back into the garden as well as out sideways, so we can have a table and space for the kids to play. Then French windows or a bi-fold door out into the garden.

It's a lovely house, just needs a bit of tweaking to suit our needs.

BristleWorm Thu 14-Nov-13 08:37:15

No, it's not a school, it's where the library stores books when they're not on the shelves, and isn't staffed all the time (very quiet).

It's still an eyesore though and that + works needed = very good price!

When people are saying extend under the stairs, do they mean take the space under the stairs back into where the kitchen is now?

LIZS Thu 14-Nov-13 08:34:47

looks like some kind of lobby to the garden ?

Alwayscheerful Thu 14-Nov-13 08:30:04

Extend the area under the stairs and utilise the plumbing under the bathroom. It will fit.

Lovely garden, is that a school at the end of the garden?

Alwayscheerful Thu 14-Nov-13 08:24:00

Building regulations have changed, no additional doors are required but there must be an extractor fan fitted.

BristleWorm Thu 14-Nov-13 08:15:23

Beyond the kitchen/breakfast area? Small patio and garden - is that what you mean?

LIZS Thu 14-Nov-13 08:07:34

What is beyond the kitchen ? BR have changed wrt to doors. Check if there are meters under the stairs too as they might need moving outside .

BristleWorm Thu 14-Nov-13 08:04:52

Under the stairs would fit with existing drainage as the bathroom is upstairs above the kitchen... But there isn't enough space!

Am I right in thinking regs require at least two doors between kitchen and toilet?

SoupDragon Thu 14-Nov-13 07:47:24

Ideally it needs to go somewhere under the existing bathroom because of the plumbing which limits the options. It depends where the drains are.

SoupDragon Thu 14-Nov-13 07:45:26

Under the stairs probably.

purplewithred Thu 14-Nov-13 07:45:00

Yes sort of under the bath like nicknaks says

At the front door using a bit of the dining room

Speak to an architect about lighting those bits from above with light wells maybe and put it to right of rear lobby?

purplewithred Thu 14-Nov-13 07:41:44

Tricky. Extend the entrance hall and put it at the new end of that?

NickNacks Thu 14-Nov-13 07:40:33

Under the stairs bringing the door and wall a bit further out towards the kitchen door.

BristleWorm Thu 14-Nov-13 07:36:42

I can't make it fit!

We will be extending the kitchen out sideways, although the extension won't be full-length as we need to keep the window to the living/dining area.

House

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now