Wooden stools for kitchen island

(21 Posts)
amazonianwoman Sun 10-Nov-13 20:05:17

Please can anyone help me find some wooden bar stools like the ones in this blue Fired Earth free standing kitchen?

I can only find ones which are naff orange pine, or with legs which splay out too much, or cost £600 each. I need four, so that's out of my price range...

Thanks smile

amazonianwoman Sun 10-Nov-13 20:06:08

Try again

http://www.firedearth.com/freestanding_kitchens

amazonianwoman Sun 10-Nov-13 20:06:32

Wow they're great. Have you tried in your local antique/thrift/ flea type places?

Selks Sun 10-Nov-13 20:09:10

They look like vintage ones. Have you searched on ebay? I have an antique furniture shop near me that had several of these stools in recently, but I'm probably nowhere near you (near Halifax)

knittedslippersx3 Sun 10-Nov-13 20:09:48

I think Ikea do something similar.

IAlwaysThought Sun 10-Nov-13 20:16:21

How about THESE Ercol ones.

IAlwaysThought Sun 10-Nov-13 20:21:04

The Ercol stools come up for sale at the Ercol Factory shop from time to time. Her is one for 100

amazonianwoman Sun 10-Nov-13 20:36:59

Thanks all smile

I like the Ercol ones but I'm worried they're a bit too spindly - we're all v tall and not that svelte!

I had a quick look on ebay but it's amazing what people class as "vintage" - lots more orange pine! I'll have another search.

I think I need to trawl around some antique places - quite a few around Manchester, and not too far from Halifax if they have what I'm looking for - don't suppose you have the name of the shop Selks?

Selks Sun 10-Nov-13 20:52:40

It's this one near Sowerby Bridge. They make their own pine / oak stuff (and may be able to do you a decent reproduction) but also get antique stock in too. It's a smallish place so may not have stools in stock all the time - best to ring them.
If you are in the Calderdale area there are a couple of other places you could try - Picture House Antiques in Todmorden and Cottage Antiques.

Belindabelle Sun 10-Nov-13 20:53:05

Cox and Cox have some. I was going to get the weathered oak stools but have gone for some retro tractor stools instead.

FuckyNell Sun 10-Nov-13 20:58:35

I can vouch for these

Selks Sun 10-Nov-13 21:02:24

Ooh yes, these Cox and Cox ones are lovely, if you can stretch to £150 each.

amazonianwoman Sun 10-Nov-13 21:07:40

Love the weathered ones from Cox and Cox but they are too high for our standard height island.

What do you think of these ebay school stools?

amazonianwoman Sun 10-Nov-13 21:13:15

Slightly different and will need to check the height?

Will have a look at the John Lewis ones instore this week.

Thanks again!

Selks Sun 10-Nov-13 21:17:20

Prefer the second to the first of those two, Amazon. Not bad though - could look good.

Selks Sun 10-Nov-13 21:18:11

Sorry other way round - prefer the first to the second.

IAlwaysThought Sun 10-Nov-13 22:31:03

I love the second batch of the school stools. They are really nice.

spotty26 Mon 11-Nov-13 07:19:36

We shortened the legs on the cox and cox ones...

spotty26 Mon 11-Nov-13 09:33:07

And... If you google weathered oak stools some retailers do them for a lot cheaper than Cox and Cox. But on their 20% off days they work about the same. Cox and Cox's service is very good too. I ordered mine at 2pm on a Monday and they arrived at 10am Tuesday!

amazonianwoman Mon 11-Nov-13 20:17:07

Thanks, good idea re shortening them! The ebay stools are too short anyway. Off to google as you suggested smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now