Offer accepted 2 months ago, nothing has moved forward, at our wits end, please help!

(15 Posts)
Lottapianos Sun 10-Nov-13 08:40:46

DP and I viewed a flat and had our offer accepted on 28 August. We're having to move because our current landlady is selling. At the time our offer was accepted, we were told by estate agent that seller of the block of flats was having new leases drawn up.

In that 2 and a half months, absolutely nothing has moved forward. Last we heard, the leases had been sent to the Land Registry for approval, and they haven't been received back yet. I have asked the estate agent for the exact date they were sent off - I've heard nothing. Our solicitor says that leases should be processed and returned in a matter of weeks, not months.

We're now having to move out of our current flat as landlady is about to complete her sale. We're moving into a short term rental costing us £2000 a month (London). I am absolutely livid. Our solicitor has sent 4 letters to seller's solicitor chasing these leases and he has only had one reply. I'm chasing the estate agent every other day. I feel like we're getting fobbed off by everyone and it's now costing us serious money. I'm worried that there is a major problem with the leases or that the paperwork has been lost or something.

We were hoping to be in by Xmas but that looks seriously unlikely now. Any advice gratefully received. We're worried that if we threaten to walk away, seller will be ok with it - house prices have risen in the last 2 months so he would get a higher offer now anyway.

Thanks for reading!

Mum2Fergus Sun 10-Nov-13 08:58:10

What a nightmare! I assume current rental is going to a buyer who intends to move in? If not would buyer consider you as short term sitting tenant (save the money to advertise for one?). But at £2k costs per month I seriously consider pulling out of your purchase and looking for something else (perhaps threat of loss of sale would get some fingers out!)

lalalonglegs Sun 10-Nov-13 09:10:21

We once had some missing paperwork with a flat we were selling which was going to take a few months to sort out (long story). Our buyers offered to exchange anyway and move in paying a % of the flat's price as rent and we then had 6 months to get the freeholder to fix the problem. There is a formula for doing this, ask your solicitor to suggest it and see what happens.

Lottapianos Sun 10-Nov-13 09:18:35

No, unfortunately the landlady's buyers are moving imminently so we cant stay.

We have considered threatening to pull out, but as I said in the OP, the seller may not be bothered. It's a big risk. We've already spent £700 on surveys for the flat so we're reluctant to chuck that money away, and we do really like the flat. Sick and tired of waiting patiently while being fobbed off!

WeAreEternal Sun 10-Nov-13 09:26:18

You may think they are not bothered but mine times out of ten a serious threat to pull out will usually kick motion back into things.

I have found that viewing and enquiring about other houses with the same agent can also make a huge difference.

Although IIWM I would be having serious concerns about it.

PrimalLass Sun 10-Nov-13 10:56:18

lalalonglegs, we have done that twice. It works really well.

PigletJohn Sun 10-Nov-13 11:51:15

keep looking, and make sure the seller knows you are.

You might find something better.

specialsubject Sun 10-Nov-13 11:56:32

Hate to say it, but I don't think they are that bothered now. You are the little people who can be pissed about and don't matter.

set a deadline and threaten to pull out if x and y don't happen and you don't see evidence that x and y don't happen. I know it means goodbye to £700 but you'll lose a lot more in that rental if this goes on.

you've nothing more to lose.

Lottapianos Sun 10-Nov-13 12:04:34

lala, I'm not prepared to move in without the lease being returned and checked over by our solicitor. It's getting to the point where the seller seems untrustworthy, so I think the best way forward for us is to keep looking and to give them a deadline to get all of this sorted out.

It's so bloody depressing! Thanks all for advice

Lottapianos Sun 10-Nov-13 12:05:51

'You are the little people who can be pissed about and don't matter.'

That's exactly how it feels specialsubject! I agree, being nice and patient has not worked at all, so it's time to talk tough

PigletJohn Sun 10-Nov-13 12:26:35

you don't even have to pull out, until/unless you exchange on something better. What do you owe them?

Sunnyshores Sun 10-Nov-13 21:00:35

for your own sanity I'd give them dates to complete stuff by. Nothing will happen between say 10th december and 10 Jan where solicitors are concerned, you're already looking at £4k of rent.

PastaBeeandCheese Mon 11-Nov-13 07:06:44

I would guess at there being an issue with lease extension. I had this with a flat I was helping my Dad sell. That took months and in the end I had to start court proceedings.

That said we advised the buyer throughout and they wanted to want because it was bottom end of the market and very good value for south east.

It does sound as though the vendor is as unconcerned as you suspect.

Has your solicitor tried to speak to the vendor's solicitor rather than continually chasing by letter?

Threatening to pull out would bother the agent as he / she won't get his commission so I'd try and speak to them explaining your situation and the fact you need an update and a timetable by the end of the week so you can make some decisions. I'd remind the agent you are FTBs with your mortgage sorted.

Lottapianos Mon 18-Nov-13 15:00:42

Update on the situation - we have been told that the leases are definitely with the Land Registry. Well woop de doo - after 2 and a half months I would bloody hope so. They are just waiting to be signed off and 'shouldn't be too much longer' hmm angry

We've been hearing this same old tune since 28 August and we just cannot wait any longer. We moved last Thursday into a short term rental that is costing us £500 a week. Yeah, it hurts and we just can't do it for any longer than 8 weeks.

So we have set a deadline - either our solicitor has the new lease in his hands by end of this week, or we're walking away from the whole thing. I really do not want to have to do this but we cannot wait any longer. So please cross every crossable body part for us. The thought of starting all over again is really not tempting.

Thanks again for advice

Lottapianos Mon 18-Nov-13 15:03:57

Update on the situation - we have been told that the leases are definitely with the Land Registry. Well woop de doo - after 2 and a half months I would bloody hope so. They are just waiting to be signed off and 'shouldn't be too much longer' hmm angry

We've been hearing this same old tune since 28 August and we just cannot wait any longer. We moved last Thursday into a short term rental that is costing us £500 a week. Yeah, it hurts and we just can't do it for any longer than 8 weeks.

So we have set a deadline - either our solicitor has the new lease in his hands by end of this week, or we're walking away from the whole thing. I really do not want to have to do this but we cannot wait any longer. So please cross every crossable body part for us. The thought of starting all over again is really not tempting.

Thanks again for advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now