Buyer's support thread part 2

(1000 Posts)
BogStandardOldWoman Fri 08-Nov-13 21:13:27

Starting a new thread for when we all spill over..

Fizzie100 Mon 21-Jul-14 17:39:51

Great news Celtic!

juneybean Mon 21-Jul-14 17:37:46
dottyaboutstripes Mon 21-Jul-14 17:28:51

I think they are being arseholes. Buying and selling houses seems to bring out people's inner arsehole to me, I'm so fed up now with being like you and trying to do what's right by people, trying to be accommodating etc. if you've got nowhere to go until 8th then what's their problem??? Grrr

1stMrsF Mon 21-Jul-14 17:22:31

Ps great news Celtic

1stMrsF Mon 21-Jul-14 17:21:52

So we are now ready to exchange, but it seems the delay has been too much for our buyers who have had a hissy fit and according to their estate agent 'just wont wait' until the completion date that I have proposed of 8 August. We are both moving into the rental house and putting much of our stuff in storage and the movers are provisionally booked for 7 and 8'August, which is the earliest date they are available. They have been pushing and pushing and pushing for 1 August for the last 3 weeks and I've always said we were doing our very best, but I couldn't commit until we had found a rental property. Now we have and this is the date that we can move, they are digging in their heels. I've asked my solicitor to contact theirs and explained that we cannot vacate until 8th.

I think this is all connected to the fact that they are on holiday from 16 - they have always said they didn't want to complete the week before their holiday, which i understand, but we are maintaining that gap and I feel they should not have made plans until we could commit to a date.

What do you think?

CelticPromise Mon 21-Jul-14 16:42:42

Oh dear not much good news here today. So sorry Peppermint hope you can find a solution.

I seem to have the luck today... After a month of faffing the bank's solicitors have said we are good to go! So we will exchange tomorrow I should think and complete first week of August. Phew.

dottyaboutstripes Mon 21-Jul-14 16:20:14

It really is stressful knowing that anyone could just pull out at any time.
FINALLY the surveyor has been in touch and it looks like the house we are buying has rising damp. Haven't yet seen the report but don't like the sound of it. Am getting so frustrated and stressed

Fizzie100 Mon 21-Jul-14 13:49:26

I know exactly what you mean Missda. It's frustrating other people knowing more than we do. That's the thing I'm struggling with most....the lack of control. And people saying "just go with the flow" but I keep thinking could I be doing more??? Good luck with getting the offer soon.

Missda Mon 21-Jul-14 13:46:26

How awful. Just had a phone call from the Estate agent basically asking when the mortgage offer was going to be sent to the vendors solicitors as it had not yet been recieved. Rang MB who said yes they had chased it today and that had been received an that the checks were being carried out. Am just a bit miffed that the EE knew more about things and had been able to find out on information without my knowledge. Hope that makes sense.

Fizzie100 Mon 21-Jul-14 13:40:46

I agree juney! I'm on my third place after two gazumps - it's so stressful!!! If I lose this one I am giving up

juneybean Mon 21-Jul-14 13:33:42

Oh how awful sad I really hope you get something sorted.

Scotland has it right for house buying I think!

We'll soon be due another thread...

Fizzie100 Mon 21-Jul-14 13:32:57

Hi everyone hope this week brings good news for people. I have chased solicitor this morning. Getting nervous and just want to exchange. Eugh.

Peppermint43 Mon 21-Jul-14 13:06:28

We agreed to take our house off the market 7 months ago for a young family who promised to buy our house. They went through the motions and had a survey. Said they would put their daughter in the local school. Two days ago our estate agent told us they had pulled out. It has cost us money. The house needs painting. We are all packed up as we had a house we were purchasing. We may now lose our new house and we are devastated. Have a cast iron agreement before taking the house off the market. It is a nightmare!

Peppermint43 Mon 21-Jul-14 12:54:18

Hi! Must warn anyone taking their house off the market for their buyers. We took our house off the market 7 months ago on the assurance these people were going to buy. A couple of days ago they pulled out. We have no redress! We may lose the house we wish to move into. Everything was set to go! Please beware. It is a nightmare!

Missda Mon 21-Jul-14 11:49:27

Let what a difficult decision

Thefishewife Sat 19-Jul-14 22:41:38

Had full survey done on Friday and the guy said everything is fine with the house just some light decor need doing so as the bank went a couple of days before they should agree

Also the EA rand and everyone wants to complte on the 15th august �� however

Lepaskilf Sat 19-Jul-14 17:36:34

I know you weren't missda.... I realised once I'd sent my message that it sounded defensive. I'm just a bit sensitive about the subject as we can't make up our mind about what is more important about our move..... DC's having an English education in a more expensive area, or them having a Welsh Education in a cheaper area!.... Our head says Wales, but our heart says England!

Missda Sat 19-Jul-14 17:30:25

Lepaskilf I wasn't criticising I merely stated that for me it worked as although Mum and Dad could not help me with my school.work it has not held me back.

Lepaskilf Sat 19-Jul-14 15:59:26

Missda I to went to a welsh school, with english speaking parents. But it is a personal choice for us which I wish not to defend.

I went to look at 2 houses in our local area today (near my son's school). I liked one of them but the other had a tiny 3rd bedroom. We keep finding that's quite common.

It was the estate agent who showed us round, I seemed rushed by her, I dunno! I do prefer it when the estate agent does the viewings through as you can't really pick apart a place out loud, or discuss with partner, when the owners are standing there. But at the same time, it's nice to ask the owners questions about neighbours and stuff. :/

Hismumhermum Sat 19-Jul-14 14:48:28

I am going to tentatively join this thread. Our first purchase fell through (vendor withdrew but not until after we'd done searches and survey...). We have now been waiting ages for our second house to get moving (they had to find somewhere to buy) and finally got the call a couple of weeks ago. Have paid enormous mortgage fees and about to pay for the other stuff so will go deranged with anger if it all falls through!!

Missda Sat 19-Jul-14 14:02:46

Well done Gemma I hope finally you will have your house.
We at waiting on our solicitors now. How long should it take? We signed the solicitors forms last week.

Missda Sat 19-Jul-14 13:59:57

I went to a Welsh school and Mum and Dad are English. It did me no harm. As an adult living in Wales it's great.

Gemma77 Sat 19-Jul-14 13:36:25

So getting stroppy seams to have helped a bit.... EA called today as he has chased up the chain. The buyers further up didn't realise how slow their solicitor had been so has put a rocket up their backsides. They called our EA this morning to ask about potential dates as they need 10 days to release funds from other properties. We are pushing for 15 August but ok with the 22nd but made it clear our mortgage offer then expires.

Fingers crossed we get some quicker movement now !

CelticPromise Sat 19-Jul-14 09:15:47

Fair enough. I don't know what the stats are for different areas, but at some of the Welsh schools here only a third of the kids have a Welsh speaking parent, so I guess they are used to supporting the whole family. I'm the other way around- we are not Welsh speakers but would love him to have Welsh, but for long and boring reasons we haven't been able to choose Welsh school.

Good luck with your home search smile

Lepaskilf Sat 19-Jul-14 07:06:41

Nothing wrong with Welsh speaking schools at all. My son has just completed meithrin at one this year, he's doing well. But we dread not being able to help him with any of his reading books/homework! Plus the secondary schools around here aren't brilliant. If we get a choice I would much rather him go to an english speaking school. Just personal choice.

This thread is not accepting new messages.