On ruddy nora. Gas boiler condemned and no money for a new one!

(110 Posts)
edam Fri 08-Nov-13 13:29:48

Arrggh etc. etc. etc. Had the gas man round today because our central heating wasn't working properly, only for him to tell us our boiler was dangerous and he had to not just switch it off but prevent it from ever being used again.

It is winter. We have no money to replace it - these things cost thousands. dh has been unemployed for a year and we have been struggling to pay the bills/living on overdrafts that were granted in happier times.

No idea what we'll do or how we'll heat the house for ds...can't borrow money as I'm sure our credit rating is shot. My family certainly don't have several thousand pounds spare they could lend us and while dh's Mother probably could, she going into a home in a couple of weeks and is not able to - too confused for it to be fair and £8k deposit required for nursing home!

I knew that single magpie I saw this morning was bad news...

edam Fri 08-Nov-13 13:31:06

Btw, I'm sure we are still better off than lots of people, at least I have a job, and dh has just started a short-term contract, we have a home and all that.

Shonajoy Fri 08-Nov-13 13:33:55

http://www.freeworcesterboschboilers.co.uk/

There are schemes for free boilers, have a look here. We got a new one recently and it wasn't thousands, under a thousand, think about £800 x

Floralnomad Fri 08-Nov-13 13:34:01

My neighbour just had a new boiler from british gas and it was about £2500 and that's for a 4 bed detached so it may not be as expensive as you think . Can you not get one and pay monthly ?

kotinka Fri 08-Nov-13 13:34:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SolomanDaisy Fri 08-Nov-13 13:35:15

I think you can use the green deal to get a new a rated boiler and pay the cost back through your electricity bill.

kotinka Fri 08-Nov-13 13:37:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cottoncandy Fri 08-Nov-13 13:37:11

It depends what is wrong with it, but the gas men are obliged to do that for all sorts of reasons, even if the boiler isn't dangerous. You might find that someone is able to repair it for you? We had one gas man condemn our boiler last week, then had British Gas round and their chaps managed to repair it?

edam Fri 08-Nov-13 13:49:35

Thanks everyone, will investigate those schemes.

cotton, I think it is genuinely kaput. The guy we had out is from British Gas - we have a service contract with them. We've had the house 10 years and it dates back to at least the previous owner, if not the one before that. BG have checked it every year and the guy last year did say it would need replacing before too long, but we didn't have the money so hoped they could keep it going a bit longer.

itsblackoveryonderhill Fri 08-Nov-13 13:50:50

In the short term have you got a plan together of how you are going to have hot water for baths or showers etc.?

You can all stay warm by staying in the same room on an evening and having a convector heater to take thw worst of the chill off. Put extra blankets and duvets etc on the beds.

Not that I know, but I think the advise from the others with regards the pay monthly way is a suitable way to go. Also like it has already been said, it might be dangerous now, but it may be repairable. Did you gat a report? If you did, I recommend rated people webiste for tradesmen. Put all the details that you can and the price you are willing to pay and they call you and tell you a quote or come out for free to give you a quote.

edam Fri 08-Nov-13 13:53:18

itsblack, VERY luckily we do have an immersion heater for hot water. I've never understood why there's a gas boiler and an immersion heater but I'm very glad about it now!

QuintesKabooom Fri 08-Nov-13 13:54:38

We replaced our boiler on Monday. We got it on finance. Paid a deposit, and will spend £100 per month for the foreseeable. But, it is a more energy efficient boiler, and we have finally got a room thermostat, and a smart meter free with it, so we reckon we will have lower gas and electricity bills. Got green deal with it, and will get cavity wall insulation and loft insulation on a pay back scheme. It is worth checking it out.

QuintesKabooom Fri 08-Nov-13 13:55:34

Also, google "free condensing boiler grants"

farrowandbawl Fri 08-Nov-13 13:56:14

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the central heating?

edam Fri 08-Nov-13 13:57:12

Quint, unfortunately our credit rating is shot, but I will look into everything people have suggested.

notgotascooby Fri 08-Nov-13 13:57:40

try this www.energy-saving.org.uk/
The only problem is it takes 10 weeks to process, but it's completely free.

edam Fri 08-Nov-13 13:59:14

farrow, we couldn't turn some of the radiators off, so they were always really hot unless we turned the heating off at the boiler. Others didn't do anything. So we had some rooms that were uncomfortably hot, others freezing. So we called BG because we have a home call out thingummy with them. And sadly when the guy took the cover off the boiler, you could see how rusted it was inside - I do think he's being honest saying it's beyond use and unsafe.

Talkinpeace Fri 08-Nov-13 14:05:59

Ding Ding Ding
Alarm Bells .... Alarm Bells .... Alarm Bells

The guy we had out is from British Gas - we have a service contract with them.

Get a second opinion from a truly independent plumber before you do anything to that boiler

check moneysavingexpert and You and Yours and multiple other consumer sites about how British Gas has its service engineers on commission to sell new boilers rather than repair old ones

and cancel the service contract today - they are money down the drain.

you could see how rusted it was inside
well it will be. he's hoodwinking you with the oldest trick in the book
the outside of the pipes will ALWAYS be rusty. its the inside that matters.

edam Fri 08-Nov-13 14:07:26

Ooh thanks talkin!

farrowandbawl Fri 08-Nov-13 14:07:53

That's not the boiler, that's the valves in the rads!
Get a second opinion from a heating engineer or plumber.

edam Fri 08-Nov-13 14:08:06

dh is at home today, btw, so I wasn't there when he saw the gas man

CallMeNancy Fri 08-Nov-13 14:09:03

^^ what she says.

It is well worth you paying for a second opinion from an independent gas safe engineer.

BG are known for condemning boilers as irreparable as they WANT to sell you a new one.

edam Fri 08-Nov-13 14:10:51

You are all giving me hope!

in the meantime, we do have two convector heater thingies dh has found in the garage, so will have to rely on them.

Kormachameleon Fri 08-Nov-13 14:11:25

Oh Edam this was us last year

I'm not going to lie, it was cold and miserable and it was hard but we managed

How old are your children ?
Hotfoot it to primark and stock up on warm pjs or onesies. They had childrens fleece jammies reduced to 2.90 last week and onesies for 6 pounds. They are very warm indeed

Do you have or can borrow plug in radiators ? We had one in every room and whilst they don't exactly keep you warm they do take the edge off the cold

Blankets on sofa/ in bed - ikea, primark, asda all have fleece blankets for a few quid

Porridge for breakfast and stew/ casserole/ soup for dinner - think warming foods

We couldn't find a scheme to use - credit was a no go so we just had to save up. Luckily my dad got us a boiler cheaply through his work and a local gasman fitted it, we did the whole thing for just under a grand. Do you know anyone in the trade ? Can you look around for a cheap boiler in somewhere like wicked maybe ?
Also if you are receiving child tax credits there is a free scheme but I don't know much about it but worth a google

You will manage this winter and will have something sorted by next winter x

edam Fri 08-Nov-13 14:11:27

dh says there was 'more rust than boiler behind the faceplate' if that means anything...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now